DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery plus in EU\UK ??

the-bunker

Reactions
OK, so I know you can't officially buy the Battery plus for the Mini 3 in the EU\UK (because it would prevent DJI obtaining class C0 marking for it - & that is a big selling point for the Mini 3 in EU\UK countrties); but does anyone know if DJI have nobbled CE mode to prevent battery plus from working - regardless of where you bought your Mini 3 from, ie: if you're in a CE country then battery plus is disabled, in the same way that the higher RF power output is ??
Thx in adance for anyone who knows the answer to this !

@the-bunker when you first register your Mini 3 pro that sets the country where you are, DJI know that info and when you attempted to purchase a battery plus, it would not allow you to do so,just like you cant purchase the light weight Japan variant of battery out side of Japan for the mini 2
if you tried to get them from say Amazon in the US for example you would get a message not able to ship to your location, its only the US ,and i believe Australia who will be able to use the plus batteries at the moment

Now that's an interesting question, and I guess we'll know in time. If I am allowed to speculate, I don't think the batteries to be region-locked since that would prevent someone from the US flying his MMM in Europe while on vacation.

Regarding getting it overseas, you can have someone buy it for you on the US and ship it to your location. That's what I'm planning to do if I decide to get the MMM once on Spain.

Region lock would cause chaos as many people move drones between different regulatory areas all the time in daily use.

I really can't see them stopping an extended battery version from Asia for example going on holiday to europe and receiving a "cannot take off" message.
Also the weight doesn't mean it cant fly - it just has to be flown at A2 instead of A1. Currently the mini 3 isn't CE/C marked at all so the MTOM isnt relevant at all.

I think most people would welcome the option of the smaller battery for a flight in town under A1 then swap to a bigger battery for a rural flight around mountains where A2/A3 is perfectly acceptable.

OK, so I know you can't officially buy the Battery plus for the Mini 3 in the EU\UK (because it would prevent DJI obtaining class C0 marking for it - & that is a big selling point for the Mini 3 in EU\UK countrties); but does anyone know if DJI have nobbled CE mode to prevent battery plus from working - regardless of where you bought your Mini 3 from, ie: if you're in a CE country then battery plus is disabled, in the same way that the higher RF power output is ??
Thx in adance for anyone who knows the answer to this !

Mini 3 Pro is a legacy drone and does not fall under the C0 category. It is way too heavy to fall under C0 because the new categorisation system uses MTOM rather than drone mass.

Looks like the new categorization might well be postponed indefinitely (that's what CAA has recommended). Pretty sure that the CAA gave a green light to actual take off mass being what counts i.e. mini 3 will be fine under legacy <250g rules.

With the lighter battery you have great flexibility.. guess with the heavier battery you just need to fly it in the same way as an Air2s or Mavic 2 etc.

Just hope the DFT takes the CAA recommendations :) Would be a glorious day.

Yup. I really hope the dft do it. I'm not sure they will go as far as the CAA are saying considering EASA are only postponing it for 12 months.

Yup. I really hope the dft do it. I'm not sure they will go as far as the CAA are saying considering EASA are only postponing it for 12 months.
To be honest the Mini 3 is perfect for the UK anyway and the safest option.

Love everything about it (apart from having to nurse the signal) and its so quiet and inoffensive that people don't get upset by it. Buzz around in the garden and once its up to 10m you can't even hear it.

Will get an extended battery once they are available over here for not silly money, simply for hyperlapse.

Reactions: mavic53
It is way too heavy to fall under C0 because the new categorisation system uses MTOM rather than drone mass.
MTOM?

Not Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism…

I want to visit Europe in the next few years and was planning on getting a Mini for the trip (as my M2P is too heavy for most of where I want to fly). Currently I could take on online test and fly a Mini — what is coming down the pipe?

MTOM?

Not Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism…

I want to visit Europe in the next few years and was planning on getting a Mini for the trip (as my M2P is too heavy for most of where I want to fly). Currently I could take on online test and fly a Mini — what is coming down the pipe?
Max Take Off Mass, i.e. drone mass + max payload it can carry. This would push the Mini 3 Pro up by a few hundred grams.

I am positive the bigger battery will work in the UK it is just for somebody to try it.

Max Take Off Mass, i.e. drone mass + max payload it can carry. This would push the Mini 3 Pro up by a few hundred grams.
So the limit is how heavy the drone might be, not how heavy it actually is?

Why would they do that? Is it how manned aircraft are rated? Or do they just not trust people not to add accessories?

Here in Canada the limit is just the drone weight, which means if I add any accessories to the Mini the rules become more onerous (requires registration which is only $5, but more importantly limits where I can fly to the same locations I can fly my Mavic 2).

I'm considering trying to source a couple of Japanese batteries to give me 'room' to add a strobe for blue hour flights.

In the UK the definition of the mini is 249g and falls under the limit according to the CAA.

All good as long as it’s flown with the lighter battery. Fly with the heavier one and it then falls into the legacy higher weight category.

Summary … it’s good

I am positive the bigger battery will work in the UK it is just for somebody to try it.
I’m in the Uk. Bought two plus batteries. Arrived last week and work fine. So far a solid 35 mins flight time before asking to RTH. I bought them here: Sky Fly Original Dji Mavic Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery Spare Parts For Dji Drone Accessories 3 Way Multi-charging Hub - Buy Sky Fly Original Dji Mavic Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery Spare Parts For Dji Drone Accessories 3 Way Multi-charging Hub,Dji Mavic Mini 3 Pro Drone Propeller Battery Charger Hub Carrying Bag,Dji Mavic 3 Product on Alibaba.com. I paid for the top level shipping and took 12 days…£203 all in for two batteries…

Tried the link. Top level delivery suggests it could be 7 days before dispatch and then up to 25 days for delivery. Did it say the same for you? Also suggests potentially $48 VAT. I assume you avoided that, which may not always be the case.

Tried the link. Top level delivery suggests it could be 7 days before dispatch and then up to 25 days for delivery. Did it say the same for you? Also suggests potentially $48 VAT. I assume you avoided that, which may not always be the case.
Hi, I chose the $30 delivery, yes I think they have some Lea way because Alibaba fine them if it’s outside those parameters but chat to Jenmic on messenger before ordering, he’s great. Remember they are 7 hours ahead. I didn’t pay anything other than the Alibaba direct costs. Maybe say please ship it the same way as Adam ;-)

Reactions: Estaban
Hi, I chose the $30 delivery, yes I think they have some Lea way because Alibaba fine them if it’s outside those parameters but chat to Jenmic on messenger before ordering, he’s great. Remember they are 7 hours ahead. I didn’t pay anything other than the Alibaba direct costs. Maybe say please ship it the same way as Adam ;-)
Thanks for the link & info - fyi goods under £135 are meant to have vat added before shipping, so no vat is collected afterwards. Goods over £135 have vat charged on entry to the UK. This is how it is since brexit.

Thanks for the reply. The info below re no VAT under £135 suggests you should have been charged it, maybe just luck of the draw. Buying two batteries separately may be the answer, but with the FREE delivery to avoid more delivery charges, just have to wait longer for delivery. I am trying the chat now without much luck (4.30pm their time). My message is showing 'Read' but no reply as yet.

Thanks for the reply. The info below re no VAT under £135 suggests you should have been charged it, maybe just luck of the draw. Buying two batteries separately may be the answer, but with the FREE delivery to avoid more delivery charges, just have to wait longer for delivery. I am trying the chat now without much luck (4.30pm their time). My message is showing 'Read' but no reply as yet.
Let’s just say the attached customs note was “helpful”…

Has Jenmic responded to you yet? I also forwarded him a screenshot of your message so I hope so...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan