DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plus Batteries?

By-tor

Reactions
I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of plus batteries for my Mini 3 Pro. I know it will take it over the 250g threshold and then need to be registered with the FAA.

A longer flight time is a plus, but are there any downsides to going over 250g? Will it limit me on where I'll be allowed to fly?

Thank you
Mark

Reactions: 3rdof5
I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of plus batteries for my Mini 3 Pro. I know it will take it over the 250g threshold and then need to be registered with the FAA.

A longer flight time is a plus, but are there any downsides to going over 250g? Will it limit me on where I'll be allowed to fly?

Thank you
Mark
Yes with the Plus battery you now fall under the same restrictions for all the bigger birds, including Pilots license and registration if applicable in your area.
I just purchased a plus battery for my mini 3 and in close range hovering tests only so far the bird flies just as well. And longer. But again it now falls under a different category with different restrictions. My mini 3 is registered as above 250G here in Canada and has a registration number on it to be able to fly legally. And yes I have my Pilots license so I don't worry about flying the plus battery legally.
I wonder if any one has actually had their mini inspected to see if it had a legal <249G battery though.

Reactions: By-tor
I don't know what the heavier drone restrictions are, but wonder if it's really worth it just to fly a few minutes longer anyway. I have 5 regular batteries now and average 24-27 min. on a good day depending on the conditions.

I really have been enjoying the drone and love flying it. I have gotten used to flying by looking at a screen and not the aircraft as I flew RC Sailplanes for 4 decades by always looking up.

Thank you

I don't know what the heavier drone restrictions are, but wonder if it's really worth it just to fly a few minutes longer anyway. I have 5 regular batteries now and average 24-27 min. on a good day depending on the conditions.

I really have been enjoying the drone and love flying it. I have gotten used to flying by looking at a screen and not the aircraft as I flew RC Sailplanes for 4 decades by always looking up.

Thank you
Agreed, with 5 regular batteries you definitely do not need a plus battery and the restrictions that come with it. Have fun with your baby bird and fly safe and respectful!
I bought my mini 3 drone only with 1 regular battery. I dont like having only 1 battery so the 2nd battery I bought was a plus. But I'm legal to fly both batteries so it was an easy choice for me.

My 2 cents ,When getting my mini3 when they first came out i bought 2 larger batteries so with 3 regular and 2 larger it brings me up to about 2hours ,i pack it with the air2s and it also has 2 hours of battery .1 problem though the DJI rc doesn't quite last 4 hours but close

For me bringing A mini over the 250g is kinda defeating a purpose, with a mini you feel much more comfortable flying in say a local park setting, as opposed to a Mavic Pro where I useually need to set up a few cones and some tape, clear an area, and be extra vigilant for spectators. With the mini I can fly without worrying as much about all that extra stuff and fly.

The Plus batteries will give you better wind resistance if that matters to you.
Ya I've noticed the extra weight of the plus battery does make a bit of difference in the wind but not a huge difference.

Ya I've noticed the extra weight of the plus battery does make a bit of difference in the wind but not a huge difference.
That and a bit more output from the motors. I have 7 Plus and one <250g. When my battery cycle hits the smaller battery it really stands out to me.

Lately with all of the updates I've been using the smaller battery for updates only.

Thanks everyone for the posts and information...

Reactions: KLRSKIR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard