DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery question

123taff

Reactions
So here is the question.

I have upgraded to the Mini 4 pro and still have my Mini 3 Pro which I haven't yet decided if I am going to keep it as a spare or sell on, but that isn't the question.

When I purchased the M4P, I sent for an extra battery because at the time I didn't realise that the M3P batteries fitted the M4P. I now realise that they will indeed fit the M4P and power the drone. I have three M3P batteries, so here is the question:-

All are "intelligent" batteries, which sometimes require "updating" indivdually when doing a firmware upgrade so will the old M3P batteries need "upgrading" via a firmware connection with the M4P and if the old M3P batteries are used, is there any danger of them causing problems in flight?

I am flying my Mini 4 Pro with my Mini 3 batteries, both the standard Mini 3 battery and the Plus batteries, no problems. Fly app will prompt for firmware update if the battery in the drone needs updating, this only happened to me once in the beginning and only for the Mini 3 standard battery in the Mini Pro.. Be sure to have internet access and run the update.

Reactions: 123taff
All are "intelligent" batteries, which sometimes require "updating" indivdually when doing a firmware upgrade so will the old M3P batteries need "upgrading" via a firmware connection with the M4P and if the old M3P batteries are used, is there any danger of them causing problems in flight?
At no point should there be any "danger" associated with using DJI equipment that is out of date because if it ever got to that point, you likely wouldn't be allowed to take off; I suspect that would be part of the "intelligent" piece.

At no point should there be any "danger" associated with using DJI equipment that is out of date because if it ever got to that point, you likely wouldn't be allowed to take off; I suspect that would be part of the "intelligent" piece.
Ah yes, I have to admit I hadn't thought of that point!

The batteries will update automatically if needed.
Keep in mind BOTH the standard and plus batteries for the mini 3 will work but they are too heavy for the mini 4 pro and will place it in the above 250gram category. Only the mini 4 pro standard batteries are light enough to fly the mini 4 pro under 250 grams. (Yes the standard batteries for the mini 3 and mini 4 are different weights with different capacities).

@123taff ,yes they will fit the Mini 4 pro ,and as has been mentioned, they will take it just over the sub 250g weight as well ,the flight time should be very similar, but in fact the Mini 3 batteries have a lower capasity as well, which could maybe impact on the overall performance,as the Mini 4 pro,is more power hungry,due to its uprated components ,DJI changed the batteries in the Mini 4 pro, to firstly reduce their weight ,and to compensate for the increase in energy usage,so for me personally i would stick with the correct batteries ,but its your drone ,and your choice

To be
@123taff ,yes they will fit the Mini 4 pro ,and as has been mentioned, they will take it just over the sub 250g weight as well ,the flight time should be very similar, but in fact the Mini 3 batteries have a lower capasity as well, which could maybe impact on the overall performance,as the Mini 4 pro,is more power hungry,due to its uprated components ,DJI changed the batteries in the Mini 4 pro, to firstly reduce their weight ,and to compensate for the increase in energy usage,so for me personally i would stick with the correct batteries ,but its your drone ,and your choice
To be fair, I have the two M4P batteries which will probably suffice for any of my "nomal" filming sessions. If anything, retaining at least one of the M3P batteries would only be as a back up in the unlikely case of me needing more that 2 batteries worth on an average trip.

As I previously stated, I just didn't realise that the batteries fitted and I just wondered if they might cause some form of damage to the M4P.

If this doesn't stray too far from the OP's question...

I'm here in the USSA, where the "Plus" batteries are available for the Mini 3 Pro & the Mini 4 Pro as well as the "standard" Intelligent batteries.

Since I got the "Fly More Plus" combo, which included 3 of the new "Plus" batteries with the Mini 4 Pro, & none of the "new & improved" standard batteries for the Mini 4 Pro - I presumed that there wasn't any substantial difference between the Mini 3 Pro standard battery, & the Mini 4 Pro standard battery, & I could use the same standard battery from my Mini 3 Pro, with the Mini 4 Pro.

I did compare the 2 versions of the "Plus" batteries - those which I got with the Mini 3 Pro, & the newer model.

As far as I can tell, both of those "Plus" batteries have exactly the same weight & electrical characteristics; the manufacturer is the same.

What intrigues me are the differences between the Mini 3 Pro standard batteries, & those for the Mini 4 Pro.

After reviewing the specs on DJI's product pages, the standard batteries for the Mini 4 Pro are different in a number of ways - they are lighter, have a higher Wh & mAh rating, & slightly different voltages (rated & charging).

I also noticed that on DJI's website, those standard batteries differ in another way, in that those for the Mini 4 Pro, are made by a different manufacturer, than the other 2 battery types - the older Mini 3 Pro standard battery, & the "Plus" battery (which is the same for both the Mini 3 Pro & the Mini 4 Pro) are all made by the same manufacturer.

This has me wondering when taking the other differences into account, might there be a difference in battery chemistry, or might that just be a difference in rating methods between the 2 manufacturers?

Further, if the former is true, might there be an "improved Plus" battery not too long in the future - both lighter & with increased capacity - based on whatever it is that makes the new standard battery an improvement over the old one in every way?

I also notice that despite the several improvents in the specs of the new standard battery, that it's the same price... or, perhaps, DJI has absorbed the possible difference in an effort to making the new Mini 4 Pro <250 gm compliant & thus available to a wider market, while keeping the price down as much as possible.

Just my observations & curiosity, noting the details & differences.

Mini 3 Pro standard battery details

Mini 4 Pro standard battery details

Attachments

Reactions: MS Coast
Hi
I am looking for an extra battery for my Mini 3 Pro. Which one should I buy? Thanks
Depends on for what you are seeking.

To stay <250gm? Then, I'd go for the standard intelligent battery for the Mini 4 Pro — it's lighter than the 1 for the Mini 3 Pro, & has more capacity.

For the Plus series, they're both the same.

Reactions: mrfish
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13