DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Recharge Power Supply?

Desert Sky

Reactions
I would like to backpack and bring my Air 2 along into the mountains. Ideally, I would like to be able to recharge my batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation for a portable power supply that I may be able to carry... that has the power to charge these batteries?

Might be easier to carry extra batteries which would weigh less than a 100wh power bank (1.9 pounds est) and the DJI charger, especially when hiking.
A 100wh powerbank may give you 2.5 recharges at the most, since the MA2 battery is 27.43wh and allowing for transformer losses.

I'd probably just carry extra batteries at 8.6oz each.
Another benefit it is you wouldn't have to wait for the recharging

Reactions: Thomas B
If you are going day hiking, then extra batteries, as suggested, would be an option. For longer hikes, and if you don't mind another 6 pounds of weight, you might go with a folding solar panel.

I just went out in the shop and checked what would be needed to power the "car charger" that came with the Mavic 2 fly more kit. It pulls 6.5 amps from a 12 volt source (roughly 78 watts - the charger for your Air 2 would doubtless be a bit less). In doing the computations, keep in mind that solar panel wattage ratings are figured at the voltage of the solar panel (typically 18 to 21 volts for a 12 volt system. So to account for less than optimal conditions, figure a 100 watt folding panel and a small MPPT charge controller. From a quick check on Amazon, you'd be looking at $220 of so (plus a car charger for your Air 2 if you don't have one already.

Thats to poer
If you are going day hiking, then extra batteries, as suggested, would be an option. For longer hikes, and if you don't mind another 6 pounds of weight, you might go with a folding solar panel.

I just went out in the shop and checked what would be needed to power the "car charger" that came with the Mavic 2 fly more kit. It pulls 6.5 amps from a 12 volt source (roughly 78 watts - the charger for your Air 2 would doubtless be a bit less). In doing the computations, keep in mind that solar panel wattage ratings are figured at the voltage of the solar panel (typically 18 to 21 volts for a 12 volt system. So to account for less than optimal conditions, figure a 100 watt folding panel and a small MPPT charge controller. From a quick check on Amazon, you'd be looking at $220 of so (plus a car charger for your Air 2 if you don't have one already.

that is to power the car charger but essentially the car charger takes 12v dc and reduces it to standard usb (5v) u can get solar power banks that have usb ports already and a battery u would be able to charge the batteries using it might notfast but the power pack will charge the battery inside..... I wouldn’t use the car charger or a charger block I would use the USB ports in the pack and ive seen some cool hiking backpacks that have decent solar panel setups

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
Thats to poer

that is to power the car charger but essentially the car charger takes 12v dc and reduces it to standard usb (5v) u can get solar power banks that have usb ports already and a battery u would be able to charge the batteries using it might notfast but the power pack will charge the battery inside..... I wouldn’t use the car charger or a charger block I would use the USB ports in the pack and ive seen some cool hiking backpacks that have decent solar panel setups

No, at least on the Mavic 2 (I don't have any other drone), the charger uses a DC to DC switching circuit to boost the 12 VDC input to the 17.6 VDC at up to 3 amps needed to charge the battery.

USB 3.0, can only provide 5 volts DC at up to 900mA or 0.9A, which translates to 4.5 watts. That's not nearly enough to charge the Mavic 2 (the batteries I was testing). I think better to use the full capability of a 12 volt charger - at least in my case, given the readily available 12 VDC input chargers.

Are you are saying the Air 2 battery has a USB-C charging port? If so, (and I'd be surprised if that's the case), then there are solar panels available with USB outputs built in. Probably need to make sure you get one that's "fast charge" rated (USB-C 3.0) .

I guess the only problem is if you get a cloudy day ;)

Backpacking and carrying the necessary charger would be arduous. Far better to carry extra batteries, even though all batteries will auto-discharge to 96% within 24 hours of charging, and 60% within 5 days.

I would like to backpack and bring my Air 2 along into the mountains. Ideally, I would like to be able to recharge my batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation for a portable power supply that I may be able to carry... that has the power to charge these batteries?
As a question, could you take a 12v bike or jump start battery and the DJI charger and then recharge the drone batteries off the 12v? If camping mid hike a solar panel could be used to recharge the 12v - weather permitting.

Reactions: Tommy85
An other option ... ;)

Last edited:
An other option ... ;)

There's no net gain in carrying something like a Lithium powered jump starter/portable battery. The above example is rather coy about details, but claims 58 watts (they state 58,830 milliwatts, 'cause it sounds like more!). That translates to one or two battery charges on my M2P, kinda like carrying one battery to charge another, when there is an efficiency loss of about 10% through the charge discharge cycle (more with older battery technology). In this case better just to have another drone battery along - unless you get back to your vehicle and find you left the lights on. :)

Thank you all for the good ideas and information. I think that just carrying extra batteries at this point is the way to go. The solar panel approach also looks pretty good and worth a try when I can haul more weight. Over time, I'll check all this out. Last week I crashed landed my Air 2 for the second time with no damage. I was flying inside an ancient Puebloan Indian cave and lost track of the battery level. Because there was no GPS, the controller did not warn me to go home when the battery level was workable. The final message I got was for the forced landing. It brought it down into a pile of rocks. At first I thought that was a bad idea, but actually if the drone had landed in the fine dust, it would have been wrecked. (I ruined a Mavic mini this way earlier in the year.) Anyway, the rocks didn't damage the drone. So far so good. Meanwhile, happy flying to you all!

There are alot of good solar power banks and like most technologies has come a long way.. if hiking is definitely worth having it’s not just the drone battery u also have rc and phone.. and some of the power banks will be able to keep u going full charge before u leave and keep it topped off I mean a decent one will be capable of charging an iPhone 10+ times on one charge Power Bank: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB