DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Storage

Sheppie

Reactions
I'm not a cold weather flyer so with winter coming on and me possibly not flying for several months what is the best way to store MA2 batteries.

In the summer... hot time in Phoenix... I charge to 50-60% and check monthly to keep them at 25-60%.
Likely there are easier ways.
There are chargers, like the one from Hanatora, that can auto charge to these levels and also have a battery discharge function.

For the aircraft batteries, I think I'd just put them on the charger till they're done and put them away. They'll lower themselves to the proper storage level. Might check them every few weeks and put them on the charger if they're down to 1 led or so.

I don't know if the remote will maintain its battery automagically.

Reactions: magman
The biggest drawback of only owning DJI is that alot of DJI owners haven't experienced lipo care. There is nothing different about the DJI batteries then any other lipo other then the rip off price. The smart battery discharge is actually pretty dumb. All Lipos should be stored at 3.80 volts per cell. Smart discharge leaves the battery a bit high. After some time flying my MA2 I found that flying the battery to 30% is the sweet spot. It consistantly leaves the battery cells at 3.80 to 3.81 volts. So if you know that your going to be storing it for more then a couple of weeks, just make your last flights end at 30% battery level. Then just put them away.

Per the OP... just fly in the winter. I flew my MA2 yesterday. It was cold outside so I placed the drone on the landing mat out on the driveway and I flew from inside the house. I sat at the kitchen table with my slippers on and a cup of coffee. RF signal strength was 100% for the whole 30 minutes of flying. I flew all over the neighborhood.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 3.37.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 3.37.07 AM.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 3.38.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 3.38.00 AM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 13
I made a chart to even-out usage of my three batteries and to log storage voltage. With MA2 connected to the controller, you can see Battery Info under the Safety Tab in DJI Fly...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 12.42.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 12.42.18 PM.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member