DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery went from 100% to critically low after few seconds of flying.

"A new non-DJI battery"

You answered your own question.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I had this happen with my last drone, a Phantom 3. I had 75% or so remaining from a previous flight, but as soon as I got it in the air, I got the same warning. I posted and many replies said that regardless of the remaining charge, I should have topped it off before flying. That seemed to take care of the issue.

I shouldn't admit it, but now I've got a Mavic Air 2 and I sometimes do the same thing. So far no problems.

I had this happen with my last drone, a Phantom 3. I had 75% or so remaining from a previous flight, but as soon as I got it in the air, I got the same warning. I posted and many replies said that regardless of the remaining charge, I should have topped it off before flying. That seemed to take care of the issue.

I shouldn't admit it, but now I've got a Mavic Air 2 and I sometimes do the same thing. So far no problems.
Your case seems much more to have been a cell failure possibly caused by a partial discharge, making the cells being severely unbalanced.

The OP's case was instead connected to a BMS board failure which made the battery signal 0% left to the drone (when it actually was plenty voltage left)... this made the drone follow it's programming and initiate a auto landing as it saw that the threshold of 15% was breached.

No topping off would have prevented this...

Last edited:
Just out of interest, this is a picture I took as the drone was decending on auto landing. ..to help me find it more than anything. Miraculously, it landed itself on the small square piece of grass between the red car and the garage. It was on an open driveway that I could walk to without having to knock on any doors. One building to the right and it would have been in their back yard or roof, out of reach. Same distance the other way and it would have been on a roof, or worse, the road. Incredible really.

Attachments

• DJI_0395.JPG
    DJI_0395.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 20
Just out of interest, this is a picture I took as the drone was decending on auto landing. ..to help me find it more than anything. Miraculously, it landed itself on the small square piece of grass between the red car and the garage. It was on an open driveway that I could walk to without having to knock on any doors. One building to the right and it would have been in their back yard or roof, out of reach. Same distance the other way and it would have been on a roof, or worse, the road. Incredible really.
Saint Francis of Shenzen was truly looking out for you that day.

Reactions: Mycamblur
  • Haha
Reactions: TonyPHX
This happened to me today, for the first time with my Mavic Pro. A new non-DJI battery - the flight was normal until shortly into the return leg of the flight, at which point the drone was around 1.8km away and had 70% battery on the screen. This suddenly dropped to 8%, putting the drone into a forced landing that I could do nothing about. It came down in someone's garden, luckily not on a roof top or road, and using the app map, I was able to find it. A lucky escape.

It was a cold day 3C, but I've flown long flights in snowy mountains before, with no issues, with air temperature below zero. I think this was due to it being a non DJI battery.
1.8km away!! Wow

Seeing where it came down, you were lucky not to have injured someone or caused damage. Flying way beyond VLOS with a dodgy battery is not good.

Thanks!! I got it from Amazon with a 28 day return policy - sending it right back today and have left a one star review with explanation.
I did that once, lost the Mavic Pro, Battery & Brand New 64GB sd-card. I searched the canyon it fell into for 3 days, NEVER DID FIND THE DRONE! I'LL NEVER AGAIN BY A NON-DJI BATTERY!!!!!!! Amazon DID refund the cost of the battery, but refused to provide reimbursement for the rest of it! Thanks to eBay it didn't cost me too much to replace it!.

Last edited:
Thanks!! I got it from Amazon with a 28 day return policy - sending it right back today and have left a one star review with explanation.
What after-market brand did you get from Amazon? I've used the Kunlun and Powerextra brands and they have given me the same kind of performance as the DJI batteries at a much cheaper price. For people to say ditch everything but DJI is a bit of an overreaction. I know DJI doesn't make their own batteries and one of these other companies probably do. I've had issues with the battery swelling during hot temps and when that happens, you must get rid of them.

What after-market brand did you get from Amazon? I've used the Kunlun and Powerextra brands and they have given me the same kind of performance as the DJI batteries at a much cheaper price. For people to say ditch everything but DJI is a bit of an overreaction. I know DJI doesn't make their own batteries and one of these other companies probably do. I've had issues with the battery swelling during hot temps and when that happens, you must get rid of them.
I’ve got the first Mavic! And DJI doesn’t sell Batteries for it anymore! Where do you go?

There are several Brand New Mavic Pro Batteries on eBay from authorized sellers:

When buying on eBay be sure to check the sellers Feedback Rating, only buy from sellers with 95% or above to avoid problems. Also, eBay has buyer guarantees as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne