DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be brutal! I need ALLL the feedback I can get. Three months of Mini 3 City flying!

I was confused. The story starts inside a hospital then morphs to drone footage of Vancouver (?). All of the lights- turn up..in here..baby. I also don't understand. The videography was really done well but I just don't get the story line. If it was supposed to be about your 87 days in the hospital...I didn't get it. Not sure what the reference to Kanye was. Was that his music? I guess it really was about the city and perhaps you shot it from a balcony? I do think the video was good but the earlier part inside made it, for me, disjointed.

No clue. What's this supposed to be other than a bunch of clips with bold text on screen? There is no narration and no text to guide the viewer and make the viewer want to watch to the end. This was too long for me as it provided no useful information.

Some really excellent footage of Vancouver, and I thought you did a awesome job of choosing the video effects and coordinating them with the music.

I tend to agree with the other feedback that there are some story elements here, but the story feels unfinished. Like there’s an intro (which did get my curiosity going), but no plot, climax, resolution. I’d either try to complete the story, or consider removing it and just make it a drone footage reel.

Loved:
- brave flying
- the captured footage
- excellent editing
- presentation

Nothing brutal to say, but the only slight "downsides" for me:
- too long
- I don't happen to like the music chosen (but I rarely like anyone else's music either!); be brave and let us choose our own sound to view the film?
- if it were only a travelogue, some labelling would be nice; if it was more than that (i.e a "story") it wasn't clear to me

Bottom line: great work. Congratulations!

Reactions: Amichael
Here is the link to video - ALLLL feedback so appreciated

This video of the city was excellent, everything else was horrible. Horrible music-hated it! Zero story-made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Way too long. Titles were over done.

Dale
MiAmi

Reactions: Richard R
Here is the link to video - ALLLL feedback so appreciated

I think it had some great shots, that style of music is not my cup of tea, but it does work with the visuals. That being said, here are the things I didn't like:

1) the beginning hospital clips made no sense and had really no connection to the aerial footage. What was the message there? You should either tell a story or not, but don't start what looks like a story and then leave people hanging.
2) The text of the lyrics flashing on the screen was unnecessary and distracting. Let the visuals do the talking.
3) While parts of the video had good shot variety, there were a couple of sections where you focused on different views of the same subject in a row. I would have spread the shots out a bit more in those sections.
4) some of the night shots were a bit over exposed (blown out) in the lights.

You definitely had some good shots and the editing was good , plus I love Vancouver, so I enjoyed watching it. I would say overall it was good but had a little room for improvement.

Some great shots and great editing.

I think the set up could have been improved with simple lower third graphics like:
"What do I do when I'm in the hospital for 87 days?" graphic over hospital shots
"It can be a time of reflection." using your quiet music and city shots
"It can be a time of depression" still using the quiet music and city shots
"It can be a time of creativity" still using quiet music and city shots
"I chose creativity." transition to "all of the lights"
I agree with limiting your use of "all of the lights" graphics. It became a distraction.

I watched the video twice and enjoyed it both times. I think using some of the suggestions given by various folks could improve a video that has great promise. I hope you post the re-edited final version. Nice, very nice start. I wish I could to as good.

BTW, your tasteful use of transitions was very will done. They did not draw attention themselves, but added to the overall effect.

Reactions: Shayne
Regarding the video technically:

- There is a lot of difference in sharpness between many scenes: some are blurred and some are very sharp. Correcting this is easy by raising the mids in the blurred scenes, and if it is not enough, using a sharpness effect. Another option would have been to discard the blurry scenes and use sharper ones.

- Other scenes stutter and play in jumps. Surely this can be corrected almost completely, using the "retime / scaling controls" and using the "smooth" options.

- Too much green in the shadows of the sunset scenes.

- Too much noise in the video and artefacts in the night scenes. Video would be improved by adding noise reduction.

- As already pointed out in some other comments, some burnt sky but not too much either.

Subjectively: nice scenes and video but:

- I would have chosen another song for the video, much calmer.
- The titles with the lyrics of the song are too much for me.
- So many transitions and flashes I don't think they benefit the content of the video.

The footage is excellent. As for the music and story, that is subjective and as most have already said, it appears difficult for many to follow.

I think my biggest issue is that Canada is one of the most restrictive countries when it comes to drone flying and I wonder if you were following those restrictive rules when flying. You might have been--I'm not Canadian and not super clear on all the rules. But based on what I know, it would seem to me you weren't.

Reactions: dozzn
Just echoing what others have already said. Great footage. Really nice job.

In the second part (?), the lyrics turning into titles didn't make much sense to me. A couple of sections that went longer could've been cut to the music, esp. during the section where the music intro builds. For this video and the presented purpose, I like PaJi's ideas, above.

I'd be interested to see this cut together as a 30sec promo reel for Vancouver (maybe Vancouver at night?). Edit a strong 29sec version of the song and hit us with your very best clips (of which, there are clearly many).

Seriously, well done. Your videography is excellent. I'm completely jealous. ;)

The footage is excellent. As for the music and story, that is subjective and as most have already said, it appears difficult for many to follow.

I think my biggest issue is that Canada is one of the most restrictive countries when it comes to drone flying and I wonder if you were following those restrictive rules when flying. You might have been--I'm not Canadian and not super clear on all the rules. But based on what I know, it would seem to me you weren't.
I'm a Canadian drone pilot in Ontario. At the moment Canada has pretty relaxed sub 250 gram micro-drone regulations. Taken from the Transport Canada website:

Micro-drones (under 250 g)​

Micro-drones are drones weighing less than 250 g. The weight of the remote control is not factored in to the weight calculation, but the weight of anything attached or carried, such as optional cameras or safety cages, will be considered part of the weight.

Pilots of micro drone don’t need to register their drone or get a drone pilot certificate to fly them. Pilots of micro drones are not bound by the same requirements as other drones. However, you must not operate your drone in a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone.

While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulations, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro drone to use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to avoid any risks associated with flying your drone.

As a good practice, you should always:
  • maintain the drone in direct line of sight
  • do not fly your drone above 400 feet in the air
  • keep a safe lateral distance between your drone and any bystanders
  • stay far away from aerodromes, airport, heliport and waterdrome
  • avoid flying near critical infrastructures
  • stay clear of aircrafts, at all time
  • do a pre-flight inspection of your drone
  • keep the drone close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller
  • avoid special aviation or advertised events

Follow these guidelines to avoid flying in a negligent or reckless manner and being subject to fines. Enjoy a safe flight and minimize the risk of incidents. Remember: if you feel that your flight is risky, don’t do it.

Drones are considered aircraft under the Aeronautics Act and Canadian Aviation Regulations and are therefore prohibited to enter the following zones without the proper authorizations:
  • Class F Special Use Restricted Airspace
  • Over a forest fire area or any area located within five nautical miles of a forest fire area, or in any airspace for which a NOTAM for Forest Fire Aircraft Operating Restrictions has been emitted
  • Zones where a 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act restrict the use of airspace to all aircraft has been emitted

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000