DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be brutal

My comments were about your video in regards to the height you were flying over the whales and the night shot, did you have permission to fly at night from CASA ?
Oops sorry just realised you don’t like answering questions.
I will not waste my time looking at any of your topics in future.
I wish you well in all of your future RPA flying.

My comments were about your video in regards to the height you were flying over the whales and the night shot, did you have permission to fly at night from CASA ?
Your comments have been “off topic” and purely focused on drone laws and regulations. Drone laws are very sensitive, divisive topics and I repeatedly see them tearing the drone community apart. Nothing good comes of it.

You are welcome to contribute to any of my posts Wombat, if you stay on-topic.

Hi, TerryToast. My personal take on the video: Some very well-shot scenes. As others stated, the video's story/message wasn't clear to me, other than it was just a sequence of pretty scenes. With its purpose unclear and shots becoming redundant, it ran long and I began to lose interest since I didn't sense there was an upcoming climax worth sticking around for.

Question please: What codec did you shoot and produce in - H.264 or H.265?

Reactions: TerryToast
Hi, TerryToast. My personal take on the video: Some very well-shot scenes. As others stated, the video's story/message wasn't clear to me, other than it was just a sequence of pretty scenes. With its purpose unclear and shots becoming redundant, it ran long and I began to lose interest since I didn't sense there was an upcoming climax worth sticking around for.

Question please: What codec did you shoot and produce in - H.264 or H.265?
Thanks for your feedback Wavepilot. Certainly very consistent the other feedback and something I need to work on and improve.

The film was shot in H.265, 10 bit, D-Log and I used a Buttery LUT in Post before minor colour grading.

Reactions: Grandpa
The film was shot in H.265, 10 bit, D-Log and I used a Buttery LUT in Post before minor colour grading.
I suggest you have your workflow backwards. Always color grade before you apply any LUTs.

Terry Toast already responded to say that it was not his footage flying at night and over the whales, he took that from someone else and just used it.

With that said, maybe Terry Toast should give us a list of all the footage that we watched, stating what he actually took himself and what video clips he took from other people's work.

If I were showing a video, I would want to show my own work and not take someone else's video work and add it to some of my own. TerryToast stated in his opening text that it was his video that he wanted brutal critiques of.

Now that is not really a truthful statement, because it was not his video, it was a compilation of, I am assuming, some of his video work and clips of other people's work, that Terrytoast just bundled together.

Since I did not see it stated anywhere at the start or end of the compilation, that this was also work of other people, I can only assume that Terrytoast want people to think this is all his own work.

If Terrytoast did not want people to think this was all his own work, he would have stated somewhere, that not all footage was of his own creation, but rather taken from other people.

It now makes me wonder about his other "Video Work" that he said did better with YouTube viewers. How much of that video was actually his own and how much was taken from other people and just inserted with his video, assuming he did actually take some of his own video, to create a finished piece of work to watch?

Isn't there some sort of copyright law about taking other people's work and showing it, insinuating that it is your own work?

Reactions: FLDave
Terry Toast already responded to say that it was not his footage flying at night and over the whales, he took that from someone else and just used it.

With that said, maybe Terry Toast should give us a list of all the footage that we watched, stating what he actually took himself and what video clips he took from other people's work.

If I were showing a video, I would want to show my own work and not take someone else's video work and add it to some of my own. TerryToast stated in his opening text that it was his video that he wanted brutal critiques of.

Now that is not really a truthful statement, because it was not his video, it was a compilation of, I am assuming, some of his video work and clips of other people's work, that Terrytoast just bundled together.

Since I did not see it stated anywhere at the start or end of the compilation, that this was also work of other people, I can only assume that Terrytoast want people to think this is all his own work.

If Terrytoast did not want people to think this was all his own work, he would have stated somewhere, that not all footage was of his own creation, but rather taken from other people.

It now makes me wonder about his other "Video Work" that he said did better with YouTube viewers. How much of that video was actually his own and how much was taken from other people and just inserted with his video, assuming he did actually take some of his own video, to create a finished piece of work to watch?

Isn't there some sort of copyright law about taking other people's work and showing it, insinuating that it is your own work?
Seriously? I thought I had seen the end of the posts relating to laws and regulations.

Drone laws and regulations are incredibly strict and I would estimate that 90% of the drone videos I see in this forum break at least one of those laws (VLOS, 30 metre rule, etc). Until those laws change, I certainly will not be disclosing the drone pilot(s) who’s footage I publish. Sorry if you feel I should disclose that decision in every film I publish and who took every clip, I certainly don’t feel that way and neither do any of the pilot(s) who took the footage.

Seriously? I thought I had seen the end of the posts relating to laws and regulations.

Drone laws and regulations are incredibly strict and I would estimate that 90% of the drone videos I see in this forum break at least one of those laws (VLOS, 30 metre rule, etc). Until those laws change, I certainly will not be disclosing the drone pilot(s) who’s footage I publish. Sorry if you feel I should disclose that decision in every film I publish and who took every clip, I certainly don’t feel that way and neither do any of the pilot(s) who took the footage.
TerryToast, what are you talking about here, show me one sentence in my post where I talk about laws and regulations! There are none, so why are you still going on about it?

You asked for brutal comments about "YOUR" video. Now it seems that these are not "Your" videos but in fact your compilation of other people's video work. You just stuck them together and it seems more and more clear that you are passing these off as your own work.

This showing of other people's filming and you asking us for our comments on "Your" video is totally misleading. Are we correct in the assumption that these are not your videos, you are asking us to comment on, but rather, other people's videos that you have gathered together?

I'm not asking you to disclose any drone flyer's info, all I am asking you is to tell us all, which clip or clips, if any, did you actually film yourself. There is no harm in letting us know that. Let's see your work, not other people's work.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLDave
TerryToast, what are you talking about here, show me one sentence in my post where I talk about laws and regulations! There are none, so why are you still going on about it?

You asked for brutal comments about "YOUR" video. Now it seems that these are not "Your" videos but in fact your compilation of other people's video work. You just stuck them together and it seems more and more clear that you are passing these off as your own work.

This showing of other people's filming and you asking us for our comments on "Your" video is totally misleading. Are we correct in the assumption that these are not your videos, you are asking us to comment on, but rather, other people's videos that you have gathered together?

I'm not asking you to disclose any drone flyer's info, all I am asking you is to tell us all, which clip or clips, if any, did you actually film yourself. There is no harm in letting us know that. Let's see your work, not other people's work.
in regards to TT what he is doing is plagiarism as well as misleading to all members here on this site.
in regards to your question what are you talking about here, he may not answer your question.

I have not been misleading. If you read the YouTube description for ANY of my videos, you will see it credits:
1. Myself and other drone fliers
2. The musician
3. The producer of the LUT
4. DJI for the drone
But of course you didn’t read it, which is now somehow my fault.

It is MY film. I did the lions share of the “work”, including all of the editing, colour grading, publishing, promoting and some of the filming. If that is “still not enough for you”, that’s your issue, not mine.

Lastly, disclosing which clips I filmed in a video which has violations of drone laws has EVERYTHING to do with drone laws. I would never admit to breaking the law in a public forum. You wish to, be my guest.

I hope I never get to be an adult if you are an example of one
He states that he did "Some of the flying" that statement rather tells it all. Had he said... I did most of the flying, then that would have been better, however, still not good.

I have never seen his YouTube channel nor ever will consider wasting my time there. He came here asking us all to be brutal about his video. There was no link to his YouTube channel and as I stated, nowhere at the start or finish of his compilation of other people's video clips, to state that this was a collection of works of other people and "Some of his own". Therefore it is now quite clear that he was hoping to fool us that this was all his own work.

Thankfully when asked about the night flying and low flying over whales, he jump right in to say that those clips were not his videos. That is when the cat began to look out of the bag. The rest is history. We can now put this one to bed.

There is no skill in collecting other people's work and clipping it all together, any one of us and probably our children, can easily do that.

" I have not been misleading. "
What????

Let me cut and paste your opening sentence to us all, as a reminder of what you did say. At the start of this thread, you, TerryToast, clearly stated this...

"Can I please get some brutally honest feedback on my latest video? "

No where in your statement, nor in the provided video example, did you state that this was not your video work, no where did you tell us that this was your collection of other people's work. Not in your words, nor the anywhere in the video you provided as an example from start to finish, did it say that this was not your work.

I would suggest that we all believed that this was your own filming, and you can see from the comments, that everyone thought this was your own work, not that of others that you compiled. That, TerryToast is blatantly misleading. What you should have stated from the beginning is... Can I please get some brutally honest feedback on my latest compilation of other people's videos. Such an opening statement would NOT have been misleading.

I hope you have jam in your pockets mate, because you, are now toast to us.

There is no skill in collecting other people's work and clipping it all together, any one of us and probably our children, can easily do that.
100% wrong and clearly written in a poor attempt to antagonise me. Your entire response is little better and clearly written with the same intent. You’re trolling.

Troll. A person who intentionally tries to instigate conflict, hostility, or arguments in an online social community

Can you tell us how you arrived at that conclusion? My understanding is that a LUT is a starting point, not a finishing touch.
I find it more difficult to make color corrections after a LUT is applied. I make all of my editing (video and audio) and color correction beforehand. Once I am satisfied with the finished product, I use LUTs to give the overall feel to the video. Just my workflow. YMMV.

Reactions: Lister
I really liked the opening! Lots of good flying there and well edited.

For me, the main thing was the length. Plus it keeps jumping about with the themes. Surfers, something else, surfers, dolphins, something else, dolphins. Now all of these are totally pertinent as it's what the video is about but I'd be inclined to group the elements together, choosing the best shots and that would naturally shorten it a bit.

My personal thing about drone video's is that some places also look good from the ground level - that's why I liked the opening shot. I'd be inclined to include ground level footages. Plus if it's for the visiting tourist I'd think the odd discrete title of where places are would help them.

Reactions: TerryToast
Are you aware that night flying in Australia is no allowed.
The shot of the whales is too close, distance should be min 500 mts radious and 500 mtr high, suggest you remove those two segments and repost on YouTube before CASA see’s your video
The 500 mtr limit is from Marine Biology
Nor is flying over people, which includes over the water. If CASA sees this, they may well take action because it breaks so many drone flying rules. Most, if not all, of the places in the video would be no-fly zones.

Your comments have been “off topic” and purely focused on drone laws and regulations. Drone laws are very sensitive, divisive topics and I repeatedly see them tearing the drone community apart. Nothing good comes of it.

You are welcome to contribute to any of my posts Wombat, if you stay on-topic.
He's right. You blatantly break all the rules and make it harder for the rest of drone pilots. CASA targets people like you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi