DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be gentle with DJI Micro USB ports.

Former Member

Reactions
As the title says, be gentle with your micro USB ports, both on the controller and on the drone. These ports will only tolerate an owner trying to put the cable in the wrong way just so many times before they get loose. Once they get loose, you will be in a world of hurt because to replace the port is an expensive repair on the controller and on the drone.

Last edited:
As the title says, be gentle with your micro USB ports, both on the controller and on the drone. These ports will only tolerate an owner trying to put the cable in the wrong way just so many times before they get loose. Once they get loose, you will be in a world of hurt because to replace the port is an expensive repair on the controller and on the drone.

It’s important not to guess the direction but to always visually inspect it before insertion.

I put a red dot on mine so I would not try and stick it in my TX wrong. Dot faces the front of my TX.

DJI should have simply made the type A USB port on the bottom of the controller so it could be used as a charging port. The type A USB is much more robust.

Reactions: Former Member
Now the side port only for charging!
For Mavic AIR it's not difficult to replace because the side USB port is attached to the Keyboard. But the part might not be easily obtained.
e65b44c1b2b04db2bc43bcd6246fcdb7.jpg
6c2055972f5a56f77e2a1593911c05e3.jpg

PS Usually it's not the Micro USB port on the remote controller that get loose. It's the Micro USB cable that come with the controller, the pins become flattened.

USB C seems more robust, I wish they'd all switch to it like my Sony camera.
I also put a mark on all mini/micro USBs, there are always times when it's getting dark or you are tired and try to do it wrong.
It would help if *everything* had the narrower side towards you or something.

The cable, or more specifically the adapter to micro usb, has the DJI logo on top of it. As long as this is facing upward then all should be good

That said, since I use a tablet and therefore the bottom usb connector, I have ordered a magnetic usb cable for the side port which I only use for charging.

J

Reactions: Clinton1
The cable, or more specifically the adapter to micro usb, has the DJI logo on top of it. As long as this is facing upward then all should be good

That said, since I use a tablet and therefore the bottom usb connector, I have ordered a magnetic usb cable for the side port which I only use for charging.

J
Careful with that round the Mavic compass, also the control sticks will possibly be affected.

Careful with that round the Mavic compass, also the control sticks will possibly be affected.

Good point. Im going to do some testing with the magnetic cables that I have and see if the magnetism throws off the stick calibration.

The nice thing about the magnetic cable, is that you can leave the small part permanently in the micro USB port, and just connect the cable when charging. This will reduce the chance of damaging the tongue in the port down to zero. I really like the ingenuity. There are also universal micro USB cables that fit in the port either way. Thank you to the members who showed me these products @zachschul22 and @Dave A

Here are the 2 different cables. I really like them both. Below are links for Amazon USA, I hope they are available outside the USA.

This is the magnetic cable set which are all the same length:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVRBTXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the reversible cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV1LEIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic