DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Before it goes in the bin..

heliman

Reactions
Hello, kinda the last shot really..

Probably a little 'off topic' for the current drone community but last year I had the idea to build a cheap drone from a kit off Ali (DJI F-450 FW) to use for aerial photography, it was only a side project (I fly helis) but after a few sessions of trying to calibrate the ESCs I gave up & it went in a box. This is the second big go, I'm currently on day 3 & pretty fed up of googling for new methods or clues, only to be disappointed beep.. beep.. beep..

So anyway this thing has 4x SimonK 30A ESCs, Radiolink Mini Pix FC with Ardupilot FW & a FrSky TD-MX receiver. Both MIssion Planner & QGroundControl seem to work fine radio-wise but obviously I can't get through the power or motor sections without ESCs.

I've tried the stick up, wait for beeps then down method countless times with each motor singly or all at once, TX rates are 100%, endpoints go to +/-100%.. dunno. I'm quite expecting to have to put the entire project in the bin & move on because this is absorbing way too much time now but, everything totalled up it does represent a modest wedge folding money so it would be wasteful. I'm hoping someone on here might have experience of this issue but no worries if not, thanks for reading!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry not my area of expertise, but you will find plenty of support here. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Have you tried this?
Are you running BetaFlight?
Hmm.. what’s this doing exactly? I assume eliminating the FC from the chain for a more direct radio/ESC communication..

..because we are calibrating the ESCs to the sticks & nothing else matters. Yes, I get that now, thank you for making me apply some logic!

It would mean buying another receiver (due to the way TM-MX is installed) & binding it to that but yeah that’s entirely doable.

So (hopefully) calibrate each ESC individually directly connected to an RX, then plug them all back in to the FC, re-bind to the TD-MX & do ESC/motor/power calibration in QGC.

Last edited:
thanks for reading!

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Last time I did this was over 2-years ago and I had no issues, and no advice but lots of good wishes…

Good Luck and let us know if it all worked out

PS:… That last time was in a college class and one of the other students was also having issues and it was because they had other issues in setting up the receiver and did not resolve that first… So, it you skipped a step to get to this point, you might have to go back and start all over again…

Well I bought another receiver (FrSky RX6R) which I could easily plug my ESCs in without soldering, but so far all I've is a different kind of beeping. Probably I should've quit rather than encouraging more spending by asking for ideas..

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet