DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best FPV Goggles System for the Mini

Reactions
The dongle system is cheapest and has lower latency for flying the Mavic Mini with fpv goggles. I can actually fly fpv like a racing quadcopter system. Thoughts, comments? I know the goggles have gone up to $140 since I bought them a month ago for $50, but otherwise all you need is the dongle (~$30), the female-female hdmi adapter ($4), and a powerbank ($17).

Reactions: cemugurcekic
The dongle system is cheapest and has lower latency for flying the Mavic Mini with fpv goggles.

Might have been best to show how you actually set this up what is the dongle, how does it work etc, links to the items, also you can use a tablet with HDMI out socket and plug them direct into the goggles, gets rid of all the extra cabling

Reactions: 1212121
Might have been best to show how you actually set this up what is the dongle, how does it work etc, links to the items, also you can use a tablet with HDMI out socket and plug them direct into the goggles, gets rid of all the extra cabling

The solution I posted a month ago was for the hdmi tablet to goggles system that I found (an improvement from the nvidia tablet hdmi system). I provided links in the video description, I assume you meant in this forum post. Here I am showing a better system, cheaper and with less lag. The dongle system has a few cables but is more portable and easier to setup. The dongle connects via bluetooth to the phone, and Airplay for Iphones is essentially an hdmi signal through the air. I should have probably explained what the dongle is, thanks for the comment. I am just trying to start out and improve my methods. Thanks!

ALTERNATE SOLUTIONS and tested ideas (did not work or not as good):
-android tablet with hdmi out to goggles -->greater latency, less portable, more costly if you already fly with a phone
-download the emulator BlueStacks on your PC & download DJI Fly-->no DJI Fly app, also would not work anyways
-IPad Pro with hdmi adapter--> signal does not split, the hdmi to goggles would be in one mode, and the other in a second mode for the connection to remote
-attach the Insta360 camera to mavic mini -->interferes with IMU compass & with GPS, would need 2 devices to fly
-split signal from phone to goggles and remote with an hdmi adapter -->not possible, does not split signal
-split signal from remote to phone and goggles-->also not possible, does not work with any (cheap, expensive) hdmi adapter
-gopro app and attach gopro hero 5 session-->too much lag with app, range issue
-use litchi with mavic mini-->SDK not yet available from DJI to use officially with 3rd party apps
-buy $125 DJI hdmi module-->does not work, too expensive anyways, risky might ruin drone system
-put your phone into a VR headset-->cannot touch the screen, do quickshots, etc.
-use one lens fpv goggles-->just why?

OTHER SETUPS:
-use DJI Goggles with mavic mini
-use fatshark goggles
-use DJI Racing Edition Goggles
-fly phantom drones with any goggles using hdmi output for tablet or in the remote

Last edited:
20 dollar 200mw 5.8ghz 800tvl micro camera off amazon camera and a 1 cell 1000 mah lipo , + what ever Goggle you want minus dji brand.

Since this thread has been re-started (resurrected), is just using a third party app like Litchi or Mavic Maven. You just put the app in the FPV Goggle Mode where it splits your smart phone display into two. Then you put your phone in a cheap goggle holder. Instant FPVing and no glare off the screen!

With Litchi when wearing the headset and hitting the C1 button (that Litchi enables,) you can flip between seeing the Mini's camera FPV view and the smart phone's main camera view for a quick look around your immediate surroundings (or watch the drone) without taking the googles off.

Since this thread has been re-started (resurrected), is just using a third party app like Litchi or Mavic Maven. You just put the app in the FPV Goggle Mode where it splits your smart phone display into two. Then you put your phone in a cheap goggle holder. Instant FPVing and no glare off the screen!

With Litchi when wearing the headset and hitting the C1 button (that Litchi enables,) you can flip between seeing the Mini's camera FPV view and the smart phone's main camera view for a quick look around your immediate surroundings (or watch the drone) without taking the googles off.
After some brief research having located that 2nd video, I realized that I have Litchi, the cables and all I needed were the VR goggles that I got for $13 which I can return if not good enough. The FPV thing is one of the features in Litchi that goes virtually unsung. I've had the program for several months, done a few missions with it and never realized that it was there until I saw something a few months ago, but dismissed it as I wasn't thinking about flying in FPV mode. And then the DJI FPV drone came out and brought to focus that I haven' developed the necessary spacial awareness of flying "in the screen". I'm hoping that these cheap googles will be a useful training tool in that regard.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead