DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best place to send for repairs? DJI or independent facility?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Preface: I've been saying that the control of the Mini 2 in Cine mode isn't what it should be, and sadly my Mini 2 had a freak accident. I'll post the details below, but first my question:

It now has a large crack on the top of the hull and a piece seems to be missing from underneath the gimbal. I tried to fix the crack and think I made the situation worse. The gimbal and camera still seem to be functioning fine. It starts up but it's been far too cold here to test fly it outdoors and I'm extremely hesistant to test even stability indoors (you'll see why below). It is not covered by Care/Refresh and don't want to cash in the State Farm coverage (as they cancel with one claim and my Mavic 2 Pro is on that same policy).

WHAT'S MY BEST BET FOR QUALITY REPAIR AT A REASONABLE COST- DJI OR AN INDEPENDENT AUTHORIZED REPAIR FACILITY?? If an independent, please tell me which one you've had good experience with.

And now the story...
I was indoors at my daughter's home where I fly indoors all the time. It's a large home and I'm practicing flying in tight spaces for control. I've flown inside there many times with no issues. But the last two flights had the same issue, never seen before, the second one ending up with damage.

As per my usual routine, I would start the motors in an open space with 8' ceilings and just get it off the ground about 2-3 feet to let it "settle". There had been no issues until last week. And so I started the motors and pushed gently on the stick as I usually would. The motors didn't quite get it off the ground, so I added a bit more stick and it was still on the ground trying to lift off. A bit more stick.... and within one second it SHOT straight up into the air, hit the ceiling HARD. Within that time I tried to react pulling back on the stick and nothing as it crashed to the ground just as suddently as it shot up. This was NOT USUAL for this drone that I had flown indoors many times. I've been really bummed about it but have come to terms that while it pretty much still fully functions (soon to be tested outdoors for any other problems... when it warms up a few degrees... been around 0°F or below for the last week).

I'm just really bummed and a little pissed as I've been saying all along that there is an issue with the Cine mode on the Mini 2. I'd like to say I'm pretty experienced flying indoors and in general I have known what to expect from my Mini 2. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with recent firmware/app changes that spontaneously either falsely or genuinely send it in to "atti mode"?

All that said, I know it will cost some $$ to fix. So where is the best/fastest/cheapest place to send for repairs? TIA

DITTO to Dirk's comment. They always done me right and provided amazing Customer Service.

Thanks. Contacted, packed up and already shipped to them. I'll let you know how they did.

Thanks. Contacted, packed up and already shipped to them. I'll let you know how they did.
@DDS is a member and not sure if he gives a discount for members on repairs or just sales . Maybe he will see this and chime in.

Reactions: DDS
Use the forum exclusive coupon “mavicpilots” and get $30 off the repair should you decide to proceed

Use the forum exclusive coupon “mavicpilots” and get $30 off the repair should you decide to proceed
Beleave he already shipped ?

Thanks for the discount tip. They have already PM'd me in conversations and I replied with the ticket number. I hope they can figure out what the problem that caused the repair.

I haven't posted this, but the incident occurred when I was about to practice with the Mini 2 indoors as I have done many times. I have posted in other threads how the stick input and drone response of the Mini 2 in the C mode needed a fix. Well, as usual I started the motors, shifted from N to C mode and pushed the sticks. Motors sped up a bit but no lift off. A drop more stick and the thing shot up like a rocket in less than one second, as if in sport mode, crashed into the ceiling and plunged 8' down to the floor. It was ugly. So it cracked the top of the hull, broke the lens hood accessory I always fly with and probably broke some piece that is under the gimbal. Also the lens window over the lens that says "4k" popped out. A few of the props were damaged slightly which I replaced. Gimbal and camera appear to be fine except for the lens window (don't know what else to call it)). It was pretty violent and totally unexpected. If I hadn't flown it indoors dozens of times learning the quirks of flying in tight spaces I would have said it was pilot error. I have to believe that DJI broke something in the firmware on their last update. There is a lengthy thread about spontaneously shifting in to atti mode, both as a false alarm and really going into atti mode. But I think this was beyond that as what I was trying to do was routine, just trying to get it 3 ft off the ground like usual. I'll end up paying for the repairs but again as I have stated in other threads, DJI needs to do a serious overhaul of the C mode.

I could well be mistaken but does the flight mode change 'take' if the drone is still on the ground, even if the motors are idling?
Also, have you done any testing to see if it is the controller that is at fault?

I could well be mistaken but does the flight mode change 'take' if the drone is still on the ground, even if the motors are idling?
Also, have you done any testing to see if it is the controller that is at fault?
The mode changes on the screen and one would assume as much. But as I posted in other threads, it appears that the only two differences between the C mode and the other two modes is that the C mode limits speed to 13mph and provides yaw rate adjustment. As far as stick input and drone response there appears to be little if any difference. Flying in any of the modes with light stick input shows little difference between modes.

As far as the controller is concerned, I'm not sure, but I'm going to do a stick calibration once I get it back from DJI Drone Repair Service, which is scheduled for delivery today. If the snow abates I'll do a test flight outside as we'll hit a high of 28°F today so almost within flight temperature parameters.

I will say DJI Drone Service repaired it quickly and charged reasonably as noted by others. The true test is in the repairs and reliability of this drone.

It might be worth experimenting to confirm the fight mode thing because I am fairly sure that with my M2P it takes off in P mode irrespective of the flight mode switch position. If the mode switch was not in the P position at take off it is necessary to move it to the P position before another flight mode can be selected. Though i must say I have not taken note of the indicated flight mode.
With regards to the stick thing, aside from the stick calibration it might, for an experimental flight, be worth switching stick modes to make the RH stick the throttle.

It might be worth experimenting to confirm the fight mode thing because I am fairly sure that with my M2P it takes off in P mode irrespective of the flight mode switch position. If the mode switch was not in the P position at take off it is necessary to move it to the P position before another flight mode can be selected. Though i must say I have not taken note of the indicated flight mode.
With regards to the stick thing, aside from the stick calibration it might, for an experimental flight, be worth switching stick modes to make the RH stick the throttle.
I have an M2P too. The problem with this Mini 2 was that, unlike previous experiences where I did the exact same procedure, this was totally out of control. Sometimes when outdoors I'll experiment with acceleration going full throttle in the Sport mode. This incident and the one preceding the damage had a very rocket-like response, unlike it previously.

I just received my repaired Mini 2 from DJI Drone Service. Round trip= 1 week exactly. I haven't tested it yet but the weather looks conducive to a test. We're finally up to 28° and the snow just stopped and sun popped out, at least temporarily. I'm not going to fly indoors again until I'm confident that I have full and predictable control. Cosmetically DJI Drone Service seems to have done a good job. I'll see how it flies, hopefully later this afternoon.

Update:
I did get a chance to fly my Mini 2 outside a bit after repairs at DJI Drone Service. So far it flies like its supposed to and cosmetically seems fully repaired. The only question I have is if there was a plastic piece that is supposed to be underneath behind the gimbal?

Would someone please take a photo of the underside of your Mini 2 including the on/off switch and the gimbal with the gimbal cover off? I want to confirm that there is nothing else that is supposed to be under there. While I have a few photos of an inverted Mini 2 they all have the gimbal cover on. TIA

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22