DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best RTH advanced explanation I ever read

RTH should be something that is used sparingly,apart from times when it is triggered by loss of signal or remaining battery level, it is not something that you should just rely on to get back home, because the problem then arises that if the RTH is not going well you are not aware how to overcome the issue,and get home manually,if you do lose sight of your drone as others have said use the map and just yaw the drone till it faces back to the home point,and then fly it home and as you do so check the speed of the drone and if it appears to be struggling to make headway, try descending to a lower level if possible and you could also use sport mode to make better progress,but be aware that this will use more battery i know there are a lot of flyers who always use RTH to get home and that is fine if that is how they want to fly, i personally prefer manual RTH each to their own
Thank you for your reply. I value your advice. Next flights I will take your advice and go manual. I will also be paying more attention to the map and use it to aid in location and direction. I will probably never set distance at more than 300 ft. And less as conditions change.

Thanks again.
Jim

Reactions: old man mavic
Personally I use the RTH most of the time for lazy, except when the battery is low or I am very close to the home point. In the MM if it is windy I do return manually.

Personally I use the RTH most of the time for lazy, except when the battery is low or I am very close to the home point. In the MM if it is windy I do return manually.
Thanks Zeus. I will use both, but in windy conditions that may be the best option. When flying I always try go fly into the wind and keep it on the windy side so if things happen the wind can help me. I won't fly when winds are higher than 10 to 12 MPH.

Reactions: zeusfl
True, but if at last sighting it was going away and if I have lost sight of it, I will try this. Of course, the best option is probably RTH. I am very new, two flights and am just learning. Sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the MM even at short distances due to color. The first two flights I have set distance at 300 ft, but depending whether I am looking into the sun or against clouds in the background I sometimes momentarily lose sight. Just something I thought might be an additional tool in my toolbox. May not be very effective I acknowledge. Just getting started in this great hobby. Really appreciate the experienced contributors to this forum.
You are doing it right. Limiting your distance and practicing scenarios like you describe will keep you out of trouble. The contributors here have taught me a lot too. Practice things like changing modes, flying by the map using graphic orientation of the AC and watching altitude and distance readings, land your drone some distance away (in an open field) then use Find My Drone, so you know how it works. You are on your way and doing things right. Like Old Man Mavic said learn to fly manually and do not rely on the automated modes, you will become a better pilot.

Reactions: old man mavic
You are doing it right. Limiting your distance and practicing scenarios like you describe will keep you out of trouble. The contributors here have taught me a lot too. Practice things like changing modes, flying by the map using graphic orientation of the AC and watching altitude and distance readings, land your drone some distance away (in an open field) then use Find My Drone, so you know how it works. You are on your way and doing things right. Like Old Man Mavic said learn to fly manually and do not rely on the automated modes, you will become a better pilot.
Thank you, I will practice what you and others have suggested.

As a side note, I have registered my drone and hope in the next couple months take the 107. Studying now. Would like to go to bigger drone in the future, but not until I have a good command of the operation of the Mini.
Thanks again to all who have offered assistance.
Jim

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras