DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best settings for recording on Mavic Pro 2 with Smart Controller?

Triggerhappy

Reactions
This site and the pilots have been very helpful for my beginning flying. So I am going to post a few questions about how to set up my Mavic Pro 2 for the most optimal recording?

Drone: Mavic Pro 2 w/Smart Controller?

How many SD Cards should I have for flying my drone with three batteries at 4k?

I currently have one SD (ScanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I U3 A2 128GB) I have loaded into smart controller.

Should I have more than one Micro SD card? Should I have a card in my smart controller and inside Drone? How do I know which SD card is being used when I hit the record button? Can I switch during flight from recording on smart controller SD to using Drone SD?

I appreciate all the help in advance?

Thanks

Trigger

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
This site and the pilots have been very helpful for my beginning flying. So I am going to post a few questions about how to set up my Mavic Pro 2 for the most optimal recording?

Drone: Mavic Pro 2 w/Smart Controller?

How many SD Cards should I have for flying my drone with three batteries at 4k?

I currently have one SD (ScanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I U3 A2 128GB) I have loaded into smart controller.

Should I have more than one Micro SD card? Should I have a card in my smart controller and inside Drone? How do I know which SD card is being used when I hit the record button? Can I switch during flight from recording on smart controller SD to using Drone SD?

I appreciate all the help in advance?

Thanks

Trigger
I use a 128 mb SD card and have never run out of SD storage using all three batteries for my Mavic 2 Pro.(I only shoot 4K). I would buy one 128 MG SD card, and a back up in case of loss such as 64MB. Costco has great prices. I didn't know there was a card in the controller. I use the only SD card which is in the body of the actual drone.

Reactions: Triggerhappy
Yes, you need the SD card to be in the aircarft to have 4k Videos. The controller will cache videos (if you set it up to do so) up to a certain point, but those will not be 4K. Once videos are stored on the aircraft, you can also download them to the smart controller if need be. The Smart controller has some memory, but if you are looking to cache a lot of data or download your videos there, you should get a card to put in the SD card as well.

If you will be moving videos to a computer, then downloading/storing them on the smart controller is necessary.

So - card in drone is must. Card in controller is optional, depending upon what you will do with it. Backup card is generally good to have as they aren't 100% reliable, but i wouldn't spend lots of time worrying about it.

Yes, you need the SD card to be in the aircarft to have 4k Videos. The controller will cache videos (if you set it up to do so) up to a certain point, but those will not be 4K. Once videos are stored on the aircraft, you can also download them to the smart controller if need be. The Smart controller has some memory, but if you are looking to cache a lot of data or download your videos there, you should get a card to put in the SD card as well.

If you will be moving videos to a computer, then downloading/storing them on the smart controller is necessary.

So - card in drone is must. Card in controller is optional, depending upon what you will do with it. Backup card is generally good to have as they aren't 100% reliable, but i wouldn't spend lots of time worrying about it.
Thanks this is very helpful. I actually thought I could when I posted the question record in 4k from the smartcontroller. Thank you for the information very helpful.

Should I have more than one Micro SD card?
Having one in the aircraft and one in the smart controller is convenient. For the price of the card just get another one. You then will be able to download the full res videos to the smart controller if you stick one in there. I don't like messing with the ac sd card so I download to the smart controller sd.

How do I know which SD card is being used when I hit the record button?
As z28 said your videos will be recorded on the sd card on the aircraft and if you want to the low res video (cache) will record to the smart controller.

Z28, is this just a function of the mavic pro 2. On my zoom I can just pluck the sd card out of the aircraft an put it in the computer to move the videos.
I have a Mavic 2 Pro with a 128GB SD card and a 64GB SD card in the smart controller. I always remove the 128GB card from the M2P to download all my photos & videos, I don't download to the smart controller at all, the card is just there if I need it.

Short answer, 1 card for each flight. Why take the chance of loosing everything recorded if there is a problem.
Sd card needs to be in the AC for 4k SC is a backup at best. I keep a SD card in the SC to record the screen information.

Reactions: Otisangb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent