DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Settings for Tight Locations

inadvertent flight into ATTI mode in tight places never ends well. I would consider how badly you want the shot.

What you are wanting to do will be difficult to extremely difficult depending on your piloting skills. Tripod mode will be useful due to the less sensitive controls and slower speed. Obstacle avoidance will not let you get closer than about 5-6ft to any solid object so it will have to be turned off. I am assuming that it is possible to turn off OA in Tripod mode, I haven’t tried this. Another issue is that the positional accuracy of the drone is not that precise, it can wander a bit. Wind and gusty conditions will make this much harder. I might recommend prop guards as well.

Good luck.
My first thought was "prop guards" as well.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Tripod Mode, for me. Also, try the search function, do a query for more answers from other pilots as to what they do.
The search function is the ( magnifying glass icon upper right ) Its a great way to find answers to many questions that have been answered in the past.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
I took this photo to document my method of using Galaxy Tab S2 with a Mavic 2 Pro. I am also wearing Goggles RE whose orientation controls the drone's gimbal. Obviously, I couldn't maintain VLOS, which is why I installed prop guards as I was flying about one meter from my head.

Attachments

• AN190204-313.jpg
    AN190204-313.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 13
Your settings are not the only considerations. Your GPS will lose accuracy in tight spaces due to lessened ability to "triangulate". The attached will explain:

I'd second the motion to use prop guards. In my expierience (for whatever odd reason) they automatically disable the sideways sensors, so your drone isn't always rearing back like a spooked horse when you get a little close to something. Second, if you do get too close -- as in contact -- you'll just bounce off, as long as you're moving slowly, instead of shearing off your props or cutting into branches, depending. I'm glad to hear that people like T mode for this -- haven't tried it yet, but I will.

I was planning a trip to a European city and looking at places to stay which has tiny balconies, like 2 feet wide at most.

May be the only place to launch and land unless I can fly it through the doors to the balcony and land it inside.

ATTI may be an answer for myself. I am a geologist and I was hoping to use the drone in slot canyons to fly up the canyon walls to inspect for markers and marker fossils. I have tried it a few times, while it seems to be getting good GPS signals, it just freaks out. It will only go up around 2-3 m or so an hover there. It will come back to home, but will not go up the walls any distance. These canyons vary from 3-6 m in width, opening up in places to 10 m.

Other hints would be appreciated.

What you are wanting to do will be difficult to extremely difficult depending on your piloting skills. Tripod mode will be useful due to the less sensitive controls and slower speed. Obstacle avoidance will not let you get closer than about 5-6ft to any solid object so it will have to be turned off. I am assuming that it is possible to turn off OA in Tripod mode, I haven’t tried this. Another issue is that the positional accuracy of the drone is not that precise, it can wander a bit. Wind and gusty conditions will make this much harder. I might recommend prop guards as well.

Good luck.
Yeah I was going to recommend prop guards too. Very useful when flying in tight spaces, inside buildings, etc. You can accidentely nudge a wall and do no damage to the props or the property - saves the airframe from crashing too. A good investment.

I was planning a trip to a European city and looking at places to stay which has tiny balconies, like 2 feet wide at most.

May be the only place to launch and land unless I can fly it through the doors to the balcony and land it inside.
From 01-01-2021 there are new rules for flying with drones in the whole of Europe. The rules are rather complicated, but if you want to fly from balconies in cities (and probably also over people which are not part of your 'crew') the Maximum Take-Off Weight of your drone has to be less than 250 gram.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard