DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Settings?

MrStark

Reactions
I asked this question on someones thread but decided to make one myself and ask again. Not sure if this question has been asked before in other threads but, does anyone have any suggestions or tips on a good set up for daytime video shooting? I always get a nasty flared screen and can't seem to find anything to reduce it. Since I'm a newbie at this, I thought maybe if I sent smoke signals, someone would help. Lol. Also, I plan on shooting video of fire works obviously at night so, any tips on shooting would be greatly appreciated. P.S I looked all over youtube for some pointers but no luck. So now I turn to you guys :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: MrStark
Here is another one with some good points.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: MrStark
Hello everybody .! After a lot of research from YouTube of how to set the video recording and photo , today I have found that theory wasn't applied in practice . With all that simple but important rules (ISO 100, shutter speed 2X frame rate , WB not none, ND filter ...) , I could't obtain that ideal Ev of +/- 0.7 maximum . The ,,zebra'' on my display was proeminent with optimum parameters , I mean ISO 100 and SS=50 with 4K 25 FPS. When I move the back right wheel of my RC , the SS moved to another values far away from ideal one of 50 , with the Ev moved not to ideal values (-2 , +3 ... maybe ), with ND OK , but the ,,zebra,, dissapeared and the image looked better . What would be the explanation for that ( I am a newbie but I am trying to learn from internet everything about the Mavic ) and how important is the ideal SS for the video recording ? I have observed that , sometimes , parameters of video are out of line with theory . What is your opinion about this observation ? Not to mention that different and rapid change of lightning spectrum ( from sky in the image to ground prevalent ) affected drastic the Ev and I had to roll frecvently that right wheel to obtain a desired luminosity of recording... Thank you

I am new with video world but been playing with photography for a little while but still a novice with it all, But what I have found there is no real setting to set the MP to you need to change the setting all the time depending on the time of the day and if it's sunny or not I am having a blast getting pics and learning the settings so I can change them quickly on the fly

Hello everybody .! After a lot of research from YouTube of how to set the video recording and photo , today I have found that theory wasn't applied in practice . With all that simple but important rules (ISO 100, shutter speed 2X frame rate , WB not none, ND filter ...) , I could't obtain that ideal Ev of +/- 0.7 maximum . The ,,zebra'' on my display was proeminent with optimum parameters , I mean ISO 100 and SS=50 with 4K 25 FPS. When I move the back right wheel of my RC , .........

Before I respond ill should let you know that I come from a still photo background of some 60 years off and on. My first camera was a box brownie. Basically a box with a fixed lens, one shutter speed and a couple of aperture sizes. From that I progressed to a 620 folding camera, 4 x 5, 2.25 square, 35 mm, and digital with all the bells and whistles.

What I learnt with those early cameras is still valid today, especially as manufacturers of action and light weight cameras opt for a fixed lens and fixed aperture.

With film cameras one had a choice of film types, the manufacturers supplied various speeds and colour characteristics. The "faster" the film the more pronounced the grain and with colour film, a decrease in saturation with some processes.

A digital camera has a sensor that converts the light to a voltage, much the same as the solar cells on the roof. The sensitivity of the sensor is the lowest ISO setting in the camera. An amplifier is used to increase the voltage from the sensor to obtain the higher ISOs, this introduces noise. The higher the gain (ISO) the greater the noise. These amplifiers are getting better but a noiseless amplifier hasn't been built.

The zebra stripes should be set so that they show a little before the sensor output is maximum ( white ) as once the output is at maximum you get clipping and lose information.

A film has dynamic range, this is the maximum and minimum amount of light that it will register. Similarly the sensor in a digital camera has it, however it may not be linear.
Clarkvision has the results of some tests.

What does all this mean?
There is no such thing as the perfect exposure for all conditions. The change in the amount of reflected light from the sunny sky and the ground shadows is greater than the sensor can handle. You need to look at ways to minimise the amount of change. Clouds are softboxes, they soften ground shadows. If you want sky and ground, try flying around dawn and dusk.

Try setting your Mavic on a firm surface, say a fence, set your frame rate to 25 and shutter to 1/50 use whatever ISO you need and film a car travelling down a road. Set the shutter speed to 1/500, ISO as required and do it again.
Have a look at the individual frames from each video.

Lastly, photography is a creative process, learn the basics about exposure and composition and use that to create your vision.

Thank you True fly for your valid advice . Yes, besides theory we need to practice a lot for learning on the field ...
Riblit , for your kindly and professionally words ,you deserve our respect ! You are a teacher and for our improvement skill you have to be present on this forum many times...As a conclusion , if you want to keep the luminosity of your video recording with least changes , for the recording to look uniform , you have to look at ways to minimise the amount of change , as you said , and to keep the landscape at SAME LEVEL horizontally - let say , for the EV to be with less variation , OK ?

Reactions: True fly and Riblit
.............As a conclusion , if you want to keep the luminosity of your video recording with least changes , for the recording to look uniform , you have to look at ways to minimise the amount of change , as you said , and to keep the landscape at SAME LEVEL horizontally - let say , for the EV to be with less variation , OK ?

Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, you don't want great changes in luminosity while filming. Don't forget that your eyes have much greater dynamic range than the image sensor so where you see detail in shadows and sunlight, the image sensor won't. If you expose for the highlights you may be able to get some detail in the shadows during post but you run the risk of increasing the noise in the shadows.

All cameras are basically a light tight box with a sensor and a hole to let light in. Don't restrict yourself to the Mavic camera when looking for knowledge. There is good information in a number of still camera forums and websites. It's all valid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syron