DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Better case

Wick

Reactions
Can’t find it but I thought there was a thread already. Looking for a better carrying case for my drone. Would like to carry all the batteries and an iPad mini as well if possible.
Thanks

A gentleman talked about apache cases from harbor freight, I said something about properly cut maybe I could get a mm and a ma2 in the case together. It would take some fitting. I have a precut case coming tomorrow as I didn't want to spent time measuring and cutting.

Reactions: MikeBuck
I have the GPC hard case and it's great, but I was at Harbor Freight and they have 2 sizes that look very nice for the Mavic Air if you don't mind pick and pluck foam. Very reasonably priced(around 30 bucks).

The Apache cases at Harbor Freight are great for the price. I have one that must be from the same company as it's identical in construction, but slightly larger than the 2800 size at Harbor Freight and I have designed and am printing a frame to keep foam padding precisely where I want it and to hold things that really don't need padding securely, like the accessories and extra batteries. One side will also hold my Lenovo M8 tablet and tablet adapter securely as it's dedicated to the drone. The 2800 size would probably good for a lot of people that don't have a tablet or want a bunch of extras. I have a slightly larger version I got at Sam's Club a while ago that's slightly larger. I bought a 2800 just to have , here's a pic to help you decide if it meets your size needs. They are very rugged, and it was less than $20, must be on sale right now. It comes with the pick and pluck foam which isn't great because it doesn't usually retain it's shape over time and eventually cubes come out that you don't want to. Someone said spraying with plasti dip holds it well, that's a neat idea but I never tried that. My solution is to have a solid plastic frame that I print and glue foam too. I will post when I have that done, probably tomorrow or the next day.

IMG_20200608_211451.jpgIMG_20200608_211423.jpg

Last edited:
If you're planning on using your case near or in water, I'd steer clear from the Harbor Freight cases. The hinges, lid gaskets/seal, lid hasps, etc. are of low quality and I certainly wouldn't trust them in the event of an immersion. If you just want a hardshell case for shock protection, they're good for that. I'm taking mine kayaking, canoeing, etc. and I need to know the seal is watertight, so I went with a Nanuk case. GPC has really nice ones too. +/- $100, but well worth it IMHO.

Reactions: RonMav
I don't see myself to likely be dunking my case in water, but your assertion is noted. I may try an immersion test as I like these cases for the price and plan to use them for a variety of needs.

For the record, they state they are IP65 Rated Watertight so I would be pretty surprised if they leaked.

Reactions: Nonprophet
I don't see myself to likely be dunking my case in water, but your assertion is noted. I may try an immersion test as I like these cases for the price and plan to use them for a variety of needs.

For the record, they state they are IP65 Rated Watertight so I would be pretty surprised if they leaked.
I had bought a $35 one off Amazon for my mini, but once I got it the poor build quality was readily apparent. I did pull out pre-cut foam and did an immersion test in my bathtub--leaked like a seive. I've not personally tested the Harbor Freight ones, but I have quite a few whitewater rafting buddies and several of them have tested the HF cases and found them all leaking.

Reactions: SilverMiner67
I had bought a $35 one off Amazon for my mini, but once I got it the poor build quality was readily apparent. I did pull out pre-cut foam and did an immersion test in my bathtub--leaked like a seive. I've not personally tested the Harbor Freight ones, but I have quite a few whitewater rafting buddies and several of them have tested the HF cases and found them all leaking.

Good to know thanks I will have to test it. It won't stop me from using them, I would just take extra care around bodies of water. It's entirely used for shock protection for me when traveling and I almost never am in a boat.

The key essentials not leaking are: quality gasket, quality hinges, quality hasps, and an even--unwarped lid. If anyone of those factors isn't 100%, you get leaks... There's a reason the GPC and Nanuk cases cost 3-5 times more, it's not just brand loyalty. I've used Pelican cases for 30+ years and have traveled around the world with them--dive gear, camera gear, etc. Never ever had one fail.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Ok I removed all the foam inside and sank a 2800 in my kitchen sink just now and will check it tomorrow morning. It was **** hard to sink, very buoyant ! It will easily float with all equipment inside, assuming it remains watertight of course. IMG_20200608_214929.jpg

I understand what it takes for a quality case but what I find is that often times, premium brands that are high quality, like Pelican for cases, Yeti for tumblers, etc., use the same Chinese manufacturers for their products, they just make sure they are produced to higher quality standards. I am a systems engineer, and I see that in a lot of products. Sometimes we can get lucky and find a well designed product for much less than the premium brands, who sometimes are charging what they do because they were first to market, and they deserve it for their work in making and maintaining a quality product. I was hoping these cases fell in to that category.

So took the case out today and opened it up. It did have about a teaspoon of water in it so it's not something you can trust 100% being under water. Having said that, it's more than adequate for my needs and even in an overboarding accident, it's so buoyant that it would take days to sink if ever. But you are right that if you are going white water rafting, pony up for a better quality seal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_085420.jpg
    IMG_20200609_085420.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
Can’t find it but I thought there was a thread already. Looking for a better carrying case for my drone. Would like to carry all the batteries and an iPad mini as well if possible.
Thanks

I bought a Nanak 915 for my Mavic Air 2 combo from B & H Photo.
It carries everything.

Reactions: Wick
Thanks

I really lucked out on a free well hard case for my platinum regular price was 120.00. Amazon posted it for 34.00 one day only. Had a 30 gift card. Plus free two day shipping. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I guess.

• Wow
Reactions: Rchawks
Will it hold an iPad mini or am I asking for too much lol

No. But I wish it did as I just bought a iPad mini myself to go with my new Mavmount.
Looks like I’ll need a second bag of some sort. Seems I saw someone makes a backpack that just might hold everything. Too late now for me anyway.

Just a little note, foam is great at keeping in moisture, so dry off your aircraft completely before storing it in a foam case. I purchased a great looking one off of alibaba express for $25, a semi hard shell like my mini.

It can corrode the parts inside so you wouldn’t even know you have corrosion, and the last thing you want on a capacitor, it will slowly degrade even the new flat ones.

For those of you with firearms you probably already know hehe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin