DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Better option??

SCK

Reactions
I was about to pick up a Osmo Mobile 2 to go with my iPhone xr today (had it in my hand) but I started to question if the Osmo Pocket would be a better option. I know there is a huge size difference (and price). I have read that there are some issues with the Mobile 2 fighting with the XR stabilization. I like the idea of using the Go4 app I use with my Mavic.

the price difference is a big factor but if the Pocket is going to do a better job, I can bite the bullet. however, if it is going to just end up with similar results, I would prefer to only drop the $130.

just wondering what would be the best option? thoughts?

FYI the use is going to be mostly hiking and walking around, no action sports like skiing or BMX.... really want to use it in places that I cant use my Mavic (like hiking in national parks)

I'm a hiker and biker (pedal type). Here in Wisconsin we have the Ice Age Trail and I've been taking various iterations of DJI Osmo with me. I have the original Osmo, the Zenmuse M1 head ( that replaces the camera on the Osmo with the ability to use my phone ), and the Pocket. With the recent software/firmware update the Pocket comes out ahead without question (for me). Being able to easily stow the Pocket in a shirt pocket or jacket and quickly get it out and operating is 8-10 times easier than with either Osmo. For hiking pics the quality is very comparable to the original Osmo. When I hiked with the original I needed space in a backpack and space for any extras ( tripod, batteries, etc.) With the pocket I have a very compact tripod and extension rod that also fit in a pocket.

As for the phone and stabilization conflicts.... I now use an Xs with has a double lens, so the comparison might not be completely useful. The answer is "yes" there is some issues when using the Mobile head ( the Zenmuse M1 ). The stabilization in the iPhone wants to make adjustments just as the Osmo. This even happens when I've connected the phone by cable when using the basic Osmo. While technically you can turn off the phone's stabilization, the lens still 'floats' and you'll get some tremble, varying on the subject and lighting intensity between the object and background.

Since I don't use the phone when hiking, I can't help with that comparison. FWIW, when I do connect a "monitor" to the Pocket, I use an iPad mini running Mimo using the wireless base. It's really nice to be able to control everything remotely. While slightly laggy, it's tolerable given the complex data transmission taking place between the two technologies.

Just my opinion......

thanks!! originally, I was set on the pocket but then I considered price and the fact the xr has a decent camera (w/zoom which I need sometimes). the portability and quick start of the Pocket would be a big plus...… but I hate giving up the zoom and paying for another camera that is not any better than the phone has....

can someone convince me one way or the other??

I am not familiar with the osmo mobile, but i got last week the osmo pocket. I am amazed with the performance of the device and the quality of the pictures. I have also the Mavic pro and together with both cameras, the sky is the limit....

Reactions: mnis
I'm leaning back to the Mobile 2.

Price + using the zoom on the camera are the deciding factors. Add in the fact that the iPhone XR camera is about the same as what the Pocket has and I just cant justify the extra $. Wish it was not so big but have to give on something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu