DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware Smart Controller Limitations - SOLVED

Ken R

Reactions
I have spent a very frustrating day on the phone with DJI tech support which is useless. Evidently they out source all technical issue to a third party who don’t know the products at all I came to find out. I was trying to do something I thought would be easy - get my browser to work on my controller and have no way to download apps. I need mapping software. At the end of the day it seems what I am trying to do is impossible as simple as this sounds. There software is supposedly available for the Android platform but no joy. I see there are some hacks out there but if you don’t get them exactly right you brick your controller. I wish I had known this going in. Has anybody with a smart controller figure out how to get third party software on there controller. It is a piece of cake on IOS. The other question is, why does my browser not work? They put it on the controller, but know of the tech support folks I have spent the day on the phone with have a clue.

The Smart Controller only has internet connection over wi fi, if I want internet connection while out flying I use my phone as a hot spot.
I Prefer all it’s resources to be free to fly my drone & not take it up with apps.
What apps are you trying to install ?

Reactions: m2zAL
Good point Electromen
I have an APK extractor on my phone, I have saved some apps as an APK's on my PC as they are no longer available & I may want to use them on a different phone some time.
You may not be able to update apps on the Smart Controller if you do it that way but they should work.

I am trying to install Mapping software to expand my biz opportunities. Electromen, I hadn't seen that link, but was warned that if anything goes wrong you controller is bricked and DJI will not help.

I would assume that’s a normal condition, the if we don’t approve don’t use sort of thing.
You can buy a torch and the instructions often state only use a certain brand of battery.
It is normally when you actually make changes to the operating system itself that can result in bricking your device, like when you jailbreak an iPhone or Rooting an Android phone.
Installing an APK from a reputable source shouldn’t do any harm, I do say shouldn’t.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thanks, I appreciate knowing that. Truth is I am not familiar with what an APK is:)

Has anyone been successful in putting mapping software on their smart controller?? this is my goal.
I am useless at explaining things but will try.
An APK or ( Android Package Kit) is basically the file that contains the app similar to a zip file.
You can download an app from the Play Store then use an APK extractor (also downloaded from Play Store) to save it as an APK, you can transfer the APK to another device, easiest way is to use it SD card, lastly use the file explorer on the new device to open the APK.
Sounds harder than it is.

Reactions: m2zAL
That sounds pretty awesome. I am not an android guy and have never seen a file explorer, but am sure I can find it. When I heard APK, it sounded to me a lot like an SDK which is used to hook into an app for integration purposes with other apps. Thanks again for the clarification. Makes me feel much more comfortable giving it a try.

One more question I just thought of is compatibility. I will be downloading the app to a Mac. Is the play store app a universal web app or does the operating system matter??

One more question I just thought of is compatibility. I will be downloading the app to a Mac. Is the play store app a universal web app or does the operating system matter??
*.apk is the actual App exe. for a Android...At this point I would advise you not to go forward..you mentioned "Brick your device"...and your about to build a house :) Your also best not to install third party on a SC, with your level of understanding it just isn't a good Idea (No offense intended.) Or go forth and read up all you can and give it a go, your choice but you understand the ramifications. You can Map with Litchi if you can understand how to install it from Amazon (Much safer) and set it to do what you want on a mission. Check this video how to use DJI Mapping software.

You don't list a Aircraft, so kinda hard to figure out what your doing what with. Best to use a standard controller and a Apple device and load a Mapping software IMHO.

This post is obsolete now but thought I would answer anyway, I do however agree with Repaid1
You would have to download the Android version if you want it on the Smart Controller.
If you can download the Android APK to a mac then it should be OK to transfer.
I am not a Apple fan, had a Mac & an iPad hated them so no idea how you would go about it with your Mac.
Best idea is try it with some small free app, I assume the one you want is at some cost.

I have spent a very frustrating day on the phone with DJI tech support which is useless. Evidently they out source all technical issue to a third party who don’t know the products at all I came to find out. I was trying to do something I thought would be easy - get my browser to work on my controller and have no way to download apps. I need mapping software. At the end of the day it seems what I am trying to do is impossible as simple as this sounds. There software is supposedly available for the Android platform but no joy. I see there are some hacks out there but if you don’t get them exactly right you brick your controller. I wish I had known this going in. Has anybody with a smart controller figure out how to get third party software on there controller. It is a piece of cake on IOS. The other question is, why does my browser not work? They put it on the controller, but know of the tech support folks I have spent the day on the phone with have a clue.
Check out original dobo on YouTube. He might be able to help if not his buddy Billy can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143