DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big Moon Pictures

:) There's also an optical illusion when the moon is near the horizon it is much bigger than when it is high in the sky. Of course it is still the same diameter and hasn't got closer to the earth, and there's no atmospheric effect changing it. We only think it's bigger.
I noticed just that last night or the night before..I was headed home as it was rising. It was so big, by the time I got home (30mins) it looked like it had shrunk...

Reactions: BadWolf1
That's one of those "gosh numbers" we find in nature - the moon and the sun are both half-a-degree wide from our perspective on Earth, which is why we only see the corona during a total solar eclipse.

From Frederik Pohl's "Beyond the Blue Event Horizon":

"Point-five degrees is the angular diameter of both the sun and the Moon as seen from Earth. Gosh! How strange that they should be the same, but also how useful, because it is partly because of this coincidence that Earth has eclipses. Minus-forty degrees is the temperature which is the same in both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales. Gosh. Two thousand twenty-five is the sum of the cubes of the integers, one cubed plus two cubed plus three cubed and so on up to nine cubed, all added together. It is also the square of their sum. Gosh. Ten to the thirty-ninth is a measure of the weakness of the gravitational force as compared with the electromagnetic. It is also the age of the universe expressed as a dimensionless number. It is also the square root of the number of particles in the observable universe, that is, that part of the universe relative to Earth in which Hubble's constant is less than point-five. Also-well, never mind, but gosh! Gosh, gosh, gosh. On these goshes P. A. M. Dirac constructed his Large Numbers Hypothesis, from which he deduced that the force of gravity must be weakening as the age of the universe increased. Now, there is a gosh for you!"

Reactions: Estabro
Looks so good it almost seems fake...Thanks..I showed my daughter and she want to use it a screen saver for her Ipad..Do you mind?

No worries, feel free. It’s good to encourage people to take an interest in what’s out there. Jupiter and Saturn are shining bright now, just wish I had a telescope to hand to see them.

:) There's also an optical illusion when the moon is near the horizon it is much bigger than when it is high in the sky. Of course it is still the same diameter and hasn't got closer to the earth, and there's no atmospheric effect changing it. We only think it's bigger.

Because close to the ground we have something to reference it with unlike a large expanse of dark sky.

That's one of those "gosh numbers" we find in nature - the moon and the sun are both half-a-degree wide from our perspective on Earth, which is why we only see the corona during a total solar eclipse.

"Point-five degrees is the angular diameter of both the sun and the Moon as seen from Earth. Gosh! How strange that they should be the same, but also how useful, because it is partly because of this coincidence that Earth has eclipses. Minus-forty degrees is the temperature which is the same in both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales. Gosh. Two thousand twenty-five is the sum of the cubes of the integers, one cubed plus two cubed plus three cubed and so on up to nine cubed, all added together. It is also the square of their sum. Gosh. Ten to the thirty-ninth is a measure of the weakness of the gravitational force as compared with the electromagnetic. It is also the age of the universe expressed as a dimensionless number. It is also the square root of the number of particles in the observable universe, that is, that part of the universe relative to Earth in which Hubble's constant is less than point-five. Also-well, never mind, but gosh! Gosh, gosh, gosh. On these goshes P. A. M. Dirac constructed his Large Numbers Hypothesis, from which he deduced that the force of gravity must be weakening as the age of the universe increased. Now, there is a gosh for you!"
Yes both approx. 1/2 degree for now. The moon throughout the month moves from about 231,000 out to 251,000 miles. Sometimes covers the sun and sometimes it can't.
When it formed it was about 15,000 miles out and has been moving away ever since, due to tidal bulge on earth.
It moves out at about 1 1/2 inches a year, and some day will never be able to totally eclipse the sun.
Definitely over exposed in my drone. I need to use these guys.58BB7448-20E7-413A-AB10-081F527FF1AF.jpeg

What in the gosh, this was a pleasure to read.

Since we are all sharing moon photos ... I captured the moon recently from my cell phone. I really like the craters toward the bottom of the photo. It is sad to say but in the case my cell phone did a better job of capturing the moon than my Canon 5D Mark IV. What do you all think? OK, I'll come clean. Yes, the moon was photographed using my cell phone (Galaxy S10+), however it was up against an eye piece connected to a Meade ACF LX200 Telescope. I had the pleasure of attending a "Star Gazing" event at The Observer's Inn in Julian California. It was an amazing experience! Pretty amazing what a cell phone can capture though.
20200702_222305.jpg

What about taking landscape photos of a bright (relatively speaking) moon-lit desert landscape? Without the moon actually in shot. I've been super curious about trying this with my air 2. I live in an area with very clear skies and little light pollution (rural southern az). It gets bright enough to hike without a flashlight, and I wouldn't let any other light source in the shot (no houses or street lights or anything). So far I've always missed the opportunity to try, but I have an alert on my phone set for Sept 1 at 10:30pm, the next full moon that isn't peaking near daylight hours. Any suggestions for optimal settings? Think video would look any good, even post production? Is this even worth staying up late for!??

What about taking landscape photos of a bright (relatively speaking) moon-lit desert landscape? Without the moon actually in shot. I've been super curious about trying this with my air 2. I live in an area with very clear skies and little light pollution (rural southern az). It gets bright enough to hike without a flashlight, and I wouldn't let any other light source in the shot (no houses or street lights or anything). So far I've always missed the opportunity to try, but I have an alert on my phone set for Sept 1 at 10:30pm, the next full moon that isn't peaking near daylight hours. Any suggestions for optimal settings? Think video would look any good, even post production? Is this even worth staying up late for!??

It’s worth a try. Something I wanted to do for photos in Western Australia last year but wary of what was under foot! Not a good idea to trip over a Mulga snake.

Try and keep the ISO setting as low as you can to avoid increased noise but a shutter speed high enough not to blur the shot. The histogram will give you a good exposure guide.

If you choose a longer exposure you can experiment with ‘painting’ the foreground (a tree or bush) very briefly with the light from your phone or torch.

Just watch where you step!

It’s worth a try. Something I wanted to do for photos in Western Australia last year but wary of what was under foot! Not a good idea to trip over a Mulga snake.

Try and keep the ISO setting as low as you can to avoid increased noise but a shutter speed high enough not to blur the shot. The histogram will give you a good exposure guide.

If you choose a longer exposure you can experiment with ‘painting’ the foreground (a tree or bush) very briefly with the light from your phone or torch.

Just watch where you step!
Thanks for the advice! I see at least one snake almost daily this time of year, not to mention all the other nocturnal critters about. But it's not too hard to find an open patch of desert or a dirt road to park and fly from my tailgate. If I have any success I'll share for certain.

Yes it is quite interesting how the math comes close, but only close. If the gravity was 10 to the 33 things would be different true and the weak nuclear force is 10 to the 28th times stronger than gravity and if slightly different we wouldn't
have water. Ice as a solid is lighter than liquid water if not it would sink and the oceans would freeze from the bottom up. Don't be surprised when you look around and most everything fits what you need to survive,
if it wasn't you would not be here to talk about it. You are here because it was there. Not such a (Gosh), how could that be. Most of the universe is trying to kill us. We can enjoy flying our drones in the sun,
but don't get to much.

Yes it is quite interesting how the math comes close, but only close. If the gravity was 10 to the 33 things would be different true and the weak nuclear force is 10 to the 28th times stronger than gravity and if slightly different we wouldn't
have water. Ice as a solid is lighter than liquid water if not it would sink and the oceans would freeze from the bottom up. Don't be surprised when you look around and most everything fits what you need to survive,
if it wasn't you would not be here to talk about it. You are here because it was there. Not such a (Gosh), how could that be. Most of the universe is trying to kill us. We can enjoy flying our drones in the sun,
but don't get to much.
The Great Filter! -Fermi Paradox

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters