DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Bikeumentary"

Greekislandlover

Reactions
Not entirely sure where to put this one, but it's all done on DJI products apart from some archive material and stills.

Anyway, the town I live in is built on the grounds of a huge country estate dating back to Saxon times at the very least. The owners were obviously stinking rich. In the early 1900's they had a private road built between their estate and the next town - shortly before the world changed with WW1.

During this Covid crisis I was looking for things to do, and I dug out my ancient mountain bike to see if I could ride the route of this old road, and make a film using my Osmo Action and Mavic 2 Zoom. It's intended mainly for people with a local connection with long memories, but hopefully appeal to others.

WARNING - it's about 24 minutes long. It's working title in our household was "Well, that's half of an hour of your life you aren't getting back".

Last edited:
Well Sir..

that was a most interesting and entertaining documentary, some very good drone work and Osmo action photography, taken whilst you were on the bike.

Thoroughly entertaining, 24 minutes passed in no time, well done.

PS how long did it take to compile, and what did you use for audio recording when you were out and about...?

Waylander

Nice one Thumbswayup
It had to be interesting because I watched it to the end.
Liked the narration, if I try I think I sound horrible so just use music.

Thanks that was great! From Western Australia so not exactly childhood memories for me - but was still good to watch. We try to trace an “old” railway near home here, so kind of rung a bell with me. My 4yo watched it too. Thought the final bridge was “vewy dark and spooky!”. Nice work.

Reactions: Greekislandlover

Magic of the movies - nothing is as it seems.

The biggest problems I had were 1, experimenting until I found out what worked and what didn.t, and

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Sorry - got called for dinner.

The biggest problem I had was experimenting to see what worked and what didn't. The second biggest problem was me being senile. A lot of it had to be re-shot several times because of camera on wrong settings, forgot to press record, forgot to charge batteries, forgot to empty SD card, even forgot to charge up the battery pack I use to keep things topped up as well as not charging the flipping things in the first place!

The footage you see mostly comes from two runs. Early one Sunday for the action cam, and a week later for the drone footage. Plus a couple of bits and pieces from the earlier attempts. The audio track is mostly the natural sounds recorded by a cheap microphone clipped to my shirt, and a voiceover track done at home. I tried to mingle any good natural sounds with people interactions to make it seem realistic. Some of it is me speaking and riding, but my multi tasking skill is non existent.

I originally tried to memorise what I wanted to say, but trying to not get killed by traffic and remember stuff didn't work at all. The next version was recording the text to my phone and playing it back in short sections through headphones and repeating it back, but that meant I couldn't do a snappy edit easily, so it was voiceover time. The latest method on the one I'm working on now I use autocue on my phone mounted to the handlebar, and that seems to work OK.

And yes, I hate the sound of my own voice but got over it!

The Osmo action was strapped to my chest via a feiyutech gimbal which is brilliant!

It didn't take too long to put together in Premiere Pro. The whole thing took a couple of months overall, but most of it was working out how to got my thoughts to work on screen. Now I have the format, I'm going to do some more as time allows.

Cheers :)

Not entirely sure where to put this one, but it's all done on DJI products apart from some archive material and stills.

Anyway, the town I live in is built on the grounds of a huge country estate dating back to Saxon times at the very least. The owners were obviously stinking rich. In the early 1900's they had a private road built between their estate and the next town - shortly before the world changed with WW1.

During this Covid crisis I was looking for things to do, and I dug out my ancient mountain bike to see if I could ride the route of this old road, and make a film using my Osmo Action and Mavic 2 Zoom. It's intended mainly for people with a local connection with long memories, but hopefully appeal to others.

WARNING - it's about 24 minutes long. It's working title in our household was "Well, that's half of an hour of your life you aren't getting back".

Very much enjoyed that! Excellent production. Excellent job of using various media.

Reactions: Greekislandlover
I’m sitting in my den in California enjoying your wonderful tour. Congratulations on your production. The osmo action on a gimbal was excellent and I’m going to explore that technology. I can appreciate the work that went into this including the narration. Thank you for my “arm chair journey”.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98