DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bill to ban drones on Mackinac Island sent to Gov. Whitmer

Organize folks in your state and visit the governor to provide the FAA rules. Note that you can legally be prevented from TO there, but likely not flyover if it is not a preserve.
Actually, in the US (and other countries with similar laws), the Migratory Bird Species Act protects migratory birds from harassment and may result in a citation if you are flying over any private or public US lands and are harassing migratory nesting birds. Additional federal and many state wildlife laws also protect sensitive (threatened or endangered) wildlife from take. You won’t be cited for flying the drone, but could be for “take” of protected wildlife if seen making them scatter from feeding or resting areas or abandoning nests, etc. An incidental take permit can be obtained from the US Fish and Wildlife Service if one is controlling pest geese or other migratory or sensitive species with a drone on private property, public lands and at airports, etc.

Also, if the state has laws protecting the ponies from harassment, they could cite drone operators if they are seen flying too close and disturbing them, otherwise you are right- someone could do a flyover from a boat...

Last edited:
How’s it go there with airspace over such a place? In Australia, a shire, for example, could ban drone use from their land, but it would be very hard to prevent overflight. So for example, I could pull up alongside a place where drone flying was banned from the ground, and fly over it with no issues. I could not fly within 30m of people or directly over them... So in this case, if you are in a boat, launch from there and fly over the island, can anything be done if you remain higher than tallest trees etc?

How’s it go there with airspace over such a place? In Australia, a shire, for example, could ban drone use from their land, but it would be very hard to prevent overflight. So for example, I could pull up alongside a place where drone flying was banned from the ground, and fly over it with no issues. I could not fly within 30m of people or directly over them... So in this case, if you are in a boat, launch from there and fly over the island, can anything be done if you remain higher than tallest trees etc?
I just answered this just above your post, but you are right, FAA has jurisdiction of the air in the US, and a state or local government can ban operating from the land, but they can also cite an overflying drone operator if they are disturbing or flying over people or disturbing sensitive or protected wildlife. Our wildlife officers and reserve managers are aware of this and have started to post warnings that they will cite people flying drones over the reserves if they are flushing feeding and/or nesting protected birds and other wildlife.

A little late to this thread. I am the president of Michigan coalition of drone operators.
Mackinaw Island wants to ban drones. The issue is that Michigan has a strong drone preemption law that prohibits local governments from enacting or enforcing any local drone rules, or regulating in any other manner.

It’s mcl 259.305 if you want to read the text....

The Island has been trying for a couple years now to ban drones, but I commend them for going about it in a lawful manner by going through the state legislature.
From the hearings, it’s apparent that neither the representatives from Mackinaw Island or the legislators have a good grasp on how the NAS works and what authority state and local governments have to regulate airspace.

i digress.

this law was a big win for uas pilots. Essentially, mackinaw island was granted authority to include language in a local ordinance that prohibits an operator from “knowingly and intentionally interfering with commercial Horse operations”

that’s it.

six months later, they have yet to draft such an ordinance.
Drones are not banned in mackinaw island, and they are not likely to be banned in the near future.
Also, mackinaw island is attempting to become a fixed site with the faa and get faa to regulate uas over the island, but I find it very unlikely they will ever receive their fixed site status.

I just answered this just above your post, but you are right, FAA has jurisdiction of the air in the US, and a state or local government can ban operating from the land, but they can also cite an overflying drone operator if they are disturbing or flying over people or disturbing sensitive or protected wildlife. Our wildlife officers and reserve managers are aware of this and have started to post warnings that they will cite people flying drones over the reserves if they are flushing feeding and/or nesting protected birds and other wildlife.
Yeah, saw that reply just as I posted! Fair enough; we have similar for marine mammals too. As long as the system isn’t abused for the sake of drone-haters!

Reactions: AMann
ive done a fair bit of flying around the property, near sheep, cows and horses. Ive never once seen them get spooked from having my drone flying in reasonably close proximity.
Maybe the difference is in what I think is reasonable or not, but I think id have to get very close for these beasts to get worried.

ive done a fair bit of flying around the property, near sheep, cows and horses. Ive never once seen them get spooked from having my drone flying in reasonably close proximity.
Maybe the difference is in what I think is reasonable or not, but I think id have to get very close for these beasts to get worried.

essentially the island fought at the state capital for a couple of years and this is the best they could get. Permission to use wording in an ordinance that has no real effect on uas operations.

Absolutely. Personally, I think screaming kids could get banned before drones should! :)

This Mackinac Island State Park facility has a lighted 3,500-foot paved runway and parallel taxiway for propeller planes and small jets. I guess the small jets do not make any noise.

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue