DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Strike Survived

Got up at 4:15 this morning as it was beautiful looking out bedroom window, quick cup of tea and in car by 5. However, things went pear shaped from there, got up the hill and immediately drove in to fog which was everywhere except my side of the island so couldn't get any footage that I had planned. On the way home, thought I'd use up last battery and was flying around when all of a sudden three birds appeared from the heather below and started swooping my drone, I tried to get it back asap climbing and diving which didn't work. It was just about beside me when one of the birds made contact with it about 40 feet up and it spun slightly, however it stayed up and I manged to get it down before the bird came in again for another go. Put it up to check all was ok and all is good, on getting home I checked it over thoroughly and I could feel a very slight imperfection on one of the props and evidence of a bit of orange on front leg same side so not sure if somehow the prop had contacted the leg. I changed both props on the motor and all perfect again. Lesson learned I suppose.
Wrap it in yellow, after that I stopped experiencing bird attacks :)
Here's what I used

I just had my first encounter with coastal birds. I solved it by flying my ma2 in sports mode against the wind for a bit. Birds could not keep up, and desisted the chase. It seems sustained flight at 60km/h is tiresome for biologicals.

I am a retired bird photographer and I have been attacked by smaller birds who were defending their nest. Hummingbirds are the boldest. I have also been attacked by blackbirds. They never actually make contact, they just kept buzzing my head to give me the message that I was too close to a nest that I did not see. So I moved on. Hummingbirds are really nasty creatures, very territorial. I have heard that if a hummingbird's noises could be understood they would all be curse words.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan