DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Strike

Derek H

Reactions
Just doing a normal flight when all of a sudden it was pandemonium and panic stations as I didn't know what on earth was going on. Later analysing the footage in slow motion, I worked out what it was. Bird Strike on a DJI Mini 4 Pro. I don't want these experiences too often!, but RTH came up trumps. See the video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You're lucky it didn't shut down after doing a flip and RTH. 👍 👍

Most DJI drones fail when inverted.

Fly safe.

You'd have to see the flight data to tell whether the drone was inverted during the incident.

Reactions: mavictk
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Hmmm. Sorry to hear one got you, but max props (no pun intended etc) to the craft for continuing OK after being carried (if that's what happened) ! I have wondered if our little guys are less domineering to larger birds than their bigger cousins.

I have some reflective red tape, but haven't applied any yet other than for navigation / LOS reasons. Are diagonal stripes still thought to be the best pattern for those does anyone know ? Several times I have got to a launch location and decided not to fly because of circling raptors and whatnot, but of course that can't save us if we don't see 'em coming !

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Hmmm. Sorry to hear one got you, but max props (no pun intended etc) to the craft for continuing OK after being carried (if that's what happened) ! I have wondered if our little guys are less domineering to larger birds than their bigger cousins.

I have some reflective red tape, but haven't applied any yet other than for navigation / LOS reasons. Are diagonal stripes still thought to be the best pattern for those does anyone know ? Several times I have got to a launch location and decided not to fly because of circling raptors and whatnot, but of course that can't save us if we don't see 'em coming !
I did an afternoon internet search one rainy day last winter and could find no real evidence that reflective tape or eyes frightened birds or deterred their interest. Anyone else find anything other than anecdotes?

Reactions: mavictk
Yes I wonder why that didn't happen, it certainly did a 360 degree roll. That would have ended on disaster

I did an afternoon internet search one rainy day last winter and could find no real evidence that reflective tape or eyes frightened birds or deterred their interest. Anyone else find anything other than anecdotes?
So were there people who got attacked even with the tape.... Maybe there's some evidence it does deter but not completely

Yes I wonder why that didn't happen, it certainly did a 360 degree roll. That would have ended on disaster
Did you see the incident as it happened or are you basing your comment on what you saw in the video?

I imagine that getting definitive data on that is 'quite challenging' to say the least !

TBH - it doesn't put me off much that most 'evidence' / discussion is anecdotal, as the tape is such an easy (and reversible) thing to do, that even if it makes only a slight difference that might be enough one day to offset an attack, and I will be grateful for that day if it ever happens, even if I will never know what caused the bird to turn away instead !

Last edited:
Was it a Buteo (soaring hawk) or a Accipiter (killer) or didn't you see it? We have both here is WNY. I don't worry about the bigger soaring hawks, Buteo's, they are slow. But the Accipiter, Cooper's and Sharp shinned, are so fast you might not see them before the strike. I've seen them take birds out of the air and you only see the puff of feathers and then the hawk go to the ground, they are killers. Just wondering if I should worry about the bigger, slower soaring hawks too?

So were there people who got attacked even with the tape.... Maybe there's some evidence it does deter but not completely
Bird attacks on drones are rare, so there's not much information to examine. But people have been interested in reflective tape and false eyes for a lot of other reasons, like keeping birds away from fruit trees. I didn't find anything substantive that suggested a benefit.

I fly near hawks, eagles, gulls, and other birds often and I've not yet seen one take any interest in a drone, other than Purple Martins and swallows. They seem curious and I've had them orbit around the drone, but they never approach closer than about 10 feet.

I once heard a fellow droner say this, “Reflective tape is like holy water, it probably won’t help but it can’t hurt.”

Just wondering if I should worry about the bigger, slower soaring hawks too?
Not as much, but if they do take against you, they do more damage on contact, and they are the ones most likely to actually pick up the drone and carry it, either back to their nests or to the ground. They are slower to climb, and need to make bigger circles around to do so, making them easier to evade with a hard rise. However, they often start higher than we are, so usually have an advantage right out of the gate...

Last edited:
Not as much, but if they do take against you, they do more damage on contact, and they are the ones most likely to actually pick up the drone and carry it, either back to their nests or to the ground. They are slower to climb, and need to make bigger circles around to do so, making them easier to evade with a hard rise. However, they often start higher than we are, so usually have an advantage right out of the gate...
What would motivate a bird of prey to take a drone to its nest? Its doubtful that they'd mistake a drone for a prey item like a bird or rodent. Have there been any actual cases of a bird taking a drone to its nest?

Animals generally don't have any interest at all in something unless they can eat it or breed with it or they feel threatened or that their territory is being infringed upon.

What would motivate a bird of prey to take a drone to its nest?
The nest may be close by, and the bird hasn't had time to properly register what it has caught yet ? Or it might be part of a hunting pair, and is bringing it back to show the other one ?! ''Hey Harriet, check out this mega-stiff flying rabbit I've found ! - it makes a really interesting squeak ! '' etc etc

More seriously I have seen one video where a drone was bought back to a nest, and no I can't find it now ! :) I can find a good few where the drone has been brought to ground tho.

Just doing a normal flight when all of a sudden it was pandemonium and panic stations as I didn't know what on earth was going on. Later analysing the footage in slow motion, I worked out what it was. Bird Strike on a DJI Mini 4 Pro. I don't want these experiences too often!, but RTH came up trumps. See the video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Saw this one on YT. Crazy stuff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH