DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds

IanChap

Reactions
I'm in SW England (Somerset), near beautiful coast and cliffs, where there seem to be quite a few large birds of prey.

I've had a couple of incidents recently. First where I've spotted one, visibly very large on the screen (Peregrine falcon?), so quite close - unfortunately not recording at the time. Really made me jump! Another where the BOP (Buzzard?) seemed to be interested, doing a large orbit, before I landed. I was able to tease him a bit, confident that I could land and pick it up before he could. I am no bird spotter...

What I'd like to know, is:
  1. How likely are our birds of prey to attack, if they're near and spot the UAV?
  2. What happens when they do - do they quickly drop, or fly off some distance first? Though not much help if over water at the time...
  3. Are there any species in particular to watch out for?
  4. Is there any insurance that would cover such an incident?
Thanks!

I think that it would be wise to remove the drone from the area rather than cause the bird further distress. It is attacking as it is distressed.

1. Any bird, not just a bird of prey, can attack if defending it's territory.
  2. A prop (and the bird) could be damaged and cause a crash, normally spinning out of control.
  3. Because of territory defense, any bird can attack. My MP has been buzzed by hummingbirds.
  4. Refresh would cover damage if you can retrieve it. Personal property policies might also provide coverage. In the US, State Farm insurance would do.
It has been suggested that you could get a wrap in a bright color that a bird of prey would not mistake for food.

If you get caught out by any birds wanting to attack, immediately climb fast. Birds are excellent at left and right and fast down but none are quick climbers. So climb high then fly away and get back to your take off spot and land it. Don't chance hurting the bird, you are in its territory and need to leave it alone. Buzzards usually only attack dead things!

If you get caught out by any birds wanting to attack, immediately climb fast. Birds are excellent at left and right and fast down but none are quick climbers. So climb high then fly away and get back to your take off spot and land it. Don't chance hurting the bird, you are in its territory and need to leave it alone. Buzzards usually only attack dead things!
Buzzards in Europe are close to what we would call Red Tailed Hawks in the U.S. The "Buzzards" in U.S. are actually vultures, which do indeed prefer dead things.

Reactions: Jaspar
I don't think it's worth the risk to go anywhere near birds tbh, partly because of attacking and distress and also because of birdwatchers and/or conservationists coming down hard on you for these reasons. Drone pilots don't have the best public image at the moment as it is.

Take a look at this thread, might help you out just like the above posts;)

How do you guys deal with birds?

Thanks, read the whole thread.

Seems that just because a bird is taking an interest, doesn't mean it's going to attack. And if an attack is imminent, climb, which makes sense.

Have ordered a full neon orange Wrapgrade wrap too. Even if it doesn't help with birds, at least I'll be able to see it next time it lands in top of a tree! I think after reading the thread, I'd have had a 'chrome' one if they did it, but they don't.

You don't sound like you're a million miles from me - I'm on the south side of the Bristol channel, opposite Aberthaw power station. Some of the birds that concern me are actually on the steep cliffs facing you...

I don't think it's worth the risk to go anywhere near birds tbh, partly because of attacking and distress and also because of birdwatchers and/or conservationists coming down hard on you for these reasons. Drone pilots don't have the best public image at the moment as it is.

There was a LOT of distress when I saw one close up on my monitor. From me, not the bird.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan