DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blackout On A Cold Ipad Mini 4

remotepilot

Reactions
Greetings All,

Two days ago I was in Little Cottonwood Canyon in Utah getting some amazing footage of the bare granite slabs of rock. I've never had a problem with the Ipad Mini 4, but when I was out in the cold too long the screen suddenly went black and I had to fly the M2Z home using the RC. Not a big deal since I have practiced flying it home by using only the RC info.

As soon as I flew it back "Home Point" I got into my truck, turned the heater on and warmed up the Ipad Mini. As soon as it was toasty warm the screen immediately came back without having to restart the Go 4 app.

Has anyone else experienced a "cold blackout" on your iPad, phone or other tablet? This post is mainly just a heads up for anyone using an iPad Mini 4 flying their drone in the cold, but I think it would be useful info for everyone.

Great Day!

remotepilot

Were you with in the specs of the Ipad Mini 4 when outside? What was the temperature at the time you were using?
Specs of that pad are,
ipad m4.jpg

Reactions: jacquespa
Apparently not. It was probably in the upper 20s. So even a few degrees below the Min Operating Temp will cause a blackout or maybe something worse. No more flying below 32 F for me. Thanks for the info. It is truly appreciated.

Reactions: Drone Master
I have read where some have applied a hand warmer to the back of the tablet/phone.

I have just had the same experience today with my iPad Mini 4 flying DJI GO4 in 4C with a cold wind blowing. Blacked out after 15mins. and should battery level at 5% (started at 87%). After warming the iPad and rebooting the battery showed 82%. This is not the first time it has happened this winter.

One of these might keep the iPad mini warm...
1582254268504.jpeg
probably room for a hand warmer in there too...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio