DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bloated battery

I just called DJI, thinking that I could use the last month of my DJI Care Refresh to replace two puffed batteries, but there's no practical way to do it. Their policy states that I need to send in the Mavic (which is 100% fine), take a photo of ONE battery, including the SN, and they will send me a "new" (new or near-new) Mavic, and new battery for $79.

Once I pay my end of the shipping, I figure that I'm out $100, would get a MP that may have had issues, one new battery, and still need to buy a new battery.

If one battery did fail mid-flight, the MP wrecked, I send it in and be in the same boat.

Now if they offered an upgrade to MP 2...

Refresh covers shipping both ways.
Refresh+ extends the warranty on AC, remote and battery.
DO NOT PIERCE BLOATED BATTERIES! From what I understand, the gas buildup is O2. Pure O2 makes just about anything burn easily. That's why lipo battery fires are hard to put out.

If you have already two puffed batteries after just one year of ownership, you should consider thinking about the right way of battery handling and what you are doing wrong.
My three batteries are already two years old, have about 130 cycles each and no signs of puffing due to correct handling.

After seeing a few videos of exploding LiPo batteries I now regard even slight bloating as impeding doom :)
GerdS is right - you can get hundreds of cycles and years of use if you handle them correctly. Here's a nice list of things you shouldn't/shouldn't do with batteries: Top tips for happy DJI batteries

Or.. if you're really into reading up... head over to battery university (and prepare to be overwhelmed :)):
Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced

If you have already two puffed batteries after just one year of ownership, you should consider thinking about the right way of battery handling and what you are doing wrong.
My three batteries are already two years old, have about 130 cycles each and no signs of puffing due to correct handling.
I can only surmise that the puffing is a result of some time in the back of my car in the summer.

I tried to limit the number of days, but since the batteries auto-discharge, this practice must've led to the slight puffing that I've noticed.

I have been storing lipo's for long periods at 50% charge with no problems some are now six years old with no sign of swelling, in fact some of the old original phantom batterys are still good with possibly upto 5 minutes less flight time than when new, Typhoon H batterys have been stored the same and have not been used for at least 18 months, recently I charged it up and took the H out for a flight just to make sure everything was still good which it was with no degrading of flight times from new, I have only had the MPP for a few months now so not long enough to judge the DJI mavic Pro Platinum batterys yet but they get stored the same with 50% charge, also in use I never go below 30% discharge with all my battery's, I only leave them fully charged for a 2-3 days at maximum it not used they are discharged to 50% storage capacity, my storage for all my batterys is a unused fully enclosed log burner fire indoors which still has the stainless flue chimney connected, but the fire is no longer used and was left in situ just for looks and for me this has proved the ideal safe storage space the temperature does not fluctuate to much summer or winter inside the fire, and if something should ever happen the flames and smoke will go up the chimney and not burn the house down.

I also never charge any batterys above the 1C rating for any given battery although a lot of my older batterys have been parallel charge but still not above the combined 1C charge rate.

My own thoughts of any swelling lipo's is more than likely caused by a several factors, running the battery down to low causing the battery to overheat leading to premature failure, not allowing any lipo to cool down between flights and then recharging them, crashing your craft could also cause unseen damage at the time to the lipo battery, never leave lipos in a parked vehicle the during the summer months to that matter never leave anywhere that gets hot whether direct sunlight or otherwise any such extreme heat will puff the battery, charging them on a quick charge will also shorten the battery life by a fair bit, others may disagree with my statement of causes but in all my years of flying RC models and last six years flying drones I have only ever had one battery puff up and that was caused after parallel charging I accidently shorted one of the leads whilst disconnecting one battery which was purely my own fault.

I experienced with batteries is if it's not used within two months & or stored in a warm or hot location it can & may bloat, I have a battery that's 11 months old 1 of 4 I have that's bad my older batteries are ok.

the bottom seems to have a small dent in it if that were me id prefer to lose a 50 quid battery then a maybe 1000 quad .. me id dump it pal but ask the gurus here first
Absolutely. Never use a puffed, deformed or damaged lipo battery period.

Right -- they do auto discharge. The things that normally cause them to become puffy are letting them sit for long periods of time without use (2+ months) or storing them in hot conditions.
I keep them in a room at 82 degrees F and I use them every day. Is that considered too hot?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki