DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blow Away Problems.

grahamjohnson10

Reactions
I have noticed that there are a lot of flyers are experiencing problems with flying in the wind.

I see that the RTH / Return To Home flight mode is P which has a maximum speed of 18mph, is it possible to manually switch to S mode via the App during the RTH to give to MM a max speed of 30mph without stopping the RTH.

Please DJI could you update the firmware so as when a blow away is being detected during the RTH the MM automatically switch's to S mode to try and combat the wind.

I see that the RTH / Return To Home flight mode is P which has a maximum speed of 18mph, is it possible to manually switch to S mode via the App during the RTH to give to MM a max speed of 30mph without stopping the RTH.
RTH is a flight mode itself, different from the others.
I don't have a Mini to check, but if it's like all the other DJI drones, RTH mode will be slower than max speed in P-GPS mode.
A little testing with show you what RTH speed is for your machine.

Switching to Sport mode would not give you a faster automated RTH
RTH will only go at RTH speed.
Please DJI could you update the firmware so as when a blow away is being detected during the RTH the MM automatically switch's to S mode to try and combat the wind.
DJI are not here and don't pay any attention to this forum.
Given that their drones have been programmed this way for a long time, it's unlikely they would make any changes now.
Wind is a normal part of flying, just as obstacles are.
You just have to learn to recognise potential problems and learn how to deal with them.

Switching to Sport Mode is not the best strategy and it is of limited effectiveness..
Much better is to make sure you never get in a situation where you have to fight a strong headwind to come home.
That can be achieved easily by recognising a potential wind issue and starting your flight by going into the wind.
It might be slow, but the return home will be easy.
That's much better than the opposite situation.
Also learn that up high, the wind will be stronger.
Don't leave your drone up high fighting a strong wind - bring it down out of the stronger wind.

It might be more prudent to just not fly in high wind conditions, especially with the MM. Sports mode also means obstacle avoidance is disabled. Don’t expect the programmers at DJI to think of all the possible ways people might use their drone, especially in situations where common sense would dictate they shouldn’t.

It might be more prudent to just not fly in high wind conditions, especially with the MM. Sports mode also means obstacle avoidance is disabled. Don’t expect the programmers at DJI to think of all the possible ways people might use their drone, especially in situations where common sense would dictate they shouldn’t.
True, but there is no obstacle avoidance to sacrifice.

RTH is a flight mode itself, different from the others.
I don't have a Mini to check, but if it's like all the other DJI drones, RTH mode will be slower than max speed in P-GPS mode.
A little testing with show you what RTH speed is for your machine.

Switching to Sport mode would not give you a faster automated RTH
RTH will only go at RTH speed.

DJI are not here and don't pay any attention to this forum.
Given that their drones have been programmed this way for a long time, it's unlikely they would make any changes now.
Wind is a normal part of flying, just as obstacles are.
You just have to learn to recognise potential problems and learn how to deal with them.

Switching to Sport Mode is not the best strategy and it is of limited effectiveness..
Much better is to make sure you never get in a situation where you have to fight a strong headwind to come home.
That can be achieved easily by recognising a potential wind issue and starting your flight by going into the wind.
It might be slow, but the return home will be easy.
That's much better than the opposite situation.
Also learn that up high, the wind will be stronger.
Don't leave your drone up high fighting a strong wind - bring it down out of the stronger wind.
The RTH speed is the same speed as P mode which is 18 mph.

I have been flying drones for about 7 years and totally agree that you should research the conditions before flying.
The problem with the MM is because of it's low price, it's going to be a lot of peoples first drone.

Is you probably already know there have already been blow aways.

S mode on the MM is about 30 mph so therefore if someone hits RTH in a lets say 23 mph head wind it's not going to make it back home.

I have noticed from videos that the P-Mode still shows during the RTH so it should be possible to switch it to S-Mode during the RTH.

So it would make sense for DJI to alter the firmware to detect a blow away as the distance is getting greater in RTH instead of less and automatically switch to S-Mode.

They should also change the silly "incerificant force error" to read "Very Windy".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada