DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bonneville Salt Flats

IShouldBeWorking

Reactions
I tried a new location and some new editing techniques on this one so I'd love to hear what you think. This is the Bonneville Salt Flats on the western border of Utah. Later in the year it's home to speed week and many land speed records have been set here over the last 100 years. But in the spring, the salt is wet and forms amazing reflecting pools. It was a really interesting place to shoot. To try and make things more cinematic I used a different aspect ratio. So counterintuitive that masking off part of the shot makes it feel more cinematic.

Shot with a Mavic 2 Pro
4k 30fps dlog10
ND8 filter, but I should have used something darker with the reflection off the salt. I couldn't always hold the shutter speed down to 1/60.
Edited in DaVinci Resolve 16 beta 4

Last edited:
What a cool place/time. You captured it well. Nice editing. I've never put in the black bars on a video for the same reasons you mentioned but it came out good. Probably looks real good on a big screen tv.

What a cool place/time. You captured it well. Nice editing. I've never put in the black bars on a video for the same reasons you mentioned but it came out good. Probably looks real good on a big screen tv.

Thanks! Yeah. It's interesting. I'd never changed the aspect ratio on anything I've done either. It's set to 2.35: in the video above which, I just read, is Widescreen Cinemascope's default aspect ratio. And it does look pretty nice on a TV, although I'm probably the only one who will watch it that way. :D

Reactions: hactick
Good job!

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
Beautiful! I live in Utah and have yet to get out there! There's so many places in the west to get footage that it can be difficult to choose where to go.

Thanks for sharing!

remotepilot

Beautiful! I live in Utah and have yet to get out there! There's so many places in the west to get footage that it can be difficult to choose where to go.

Thanks for sharing!

remotepilot

Thank you! I actually grew up in Salt Lake and I had never been out there until last weekend. It's true, we're spoiled for choice of amazing scenic locations in Utah. The Salt Flats are totally worth the trip though. I'll probably head back out there for more sometime soon.

Amazing! Its on my bucket list to visit because of the Anthony Hopkin's Movie "The Last Indian" - Great Movie by the way.

I have flown over ice lakes in Alaska that were a blast to fly low and fast over! Its exhilarating!

Amazing! Its on my bucket list to visit because of the Anthony Hopkin's Movie "The Last Indian" - Great Movie by the way.

I have flown over ice lakes in Alaska that were a blast to fly low and fast over! Its exhilarating!

Thanks! Yeah, I forgot that movie was filmed out there. I think they shoot quite a bit of stuff at that location actually. The day I went, I saw a bunch of trucks, sun shades and a red piano on a trailer. I think they'd been doing a music video out on the salt earlier in the day.

Reactions: BD0G

Yes, indeed, one of the best movies ever. Seems it didn't really catch on much out here. Maybe folks in Utah didn't want to see a movie made in their backyard. Silly Utahns.

Reactions: BD0G
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143