DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bracketed Photos / HDR Software

spudster

Reactions
Site
kuula.co
Is anyone used a stand alone Windows software program to process bracketed photos into HDRs? I don't own any of the Adone stuff, just looking for something that is fairly simple to use and doesn't cost a fortune to handle creating HDR photos. Thx.

I use a program called HDRtist for Mac, However a quick search seems like they have a Windows version. It has a free version, and a free trail of the paid version and the paid version is really great.

What's your budget for the software? Keep in mind you may get what you pay for....

I like Aurora HDR by Skylum (not a big fan of the company but the software is solid). It and Photomatix are two of the big names in HDR software. Aurora is around $70 I believe, but they have sales a lot if you watch the web site.

Reactions: PAW
Is anyone used a stand alone Windows software program to process bracketed photos into HDRs? I don't own any of the Adone stuff, just looking for something that is fairly simple to use and doesn't cost a fortune to handle creating HDR photos. Thx.
I hate to sound this way but you really get what you pay for. I expect a LOT of blow back from anti-Adobe forum members for this comment, but, if you can afford $240 a year try this Adobe Photography plan.

Photoshop has everything you would every want- and almost weekly improvements. The new Adobe Artificial Intelligence (Sensai). For example, the latest updates (all included) was (1) colorization (e.g.: you can colorize black and white) (2) Change depth of field on any image to change focus point (3) Super Resolution (you can enhance your resolution 4 x!!!. Their HDR program works in seconds in either Photoshop or Lightroom. Same with Panorama (photo merge). They have a free trial. Here is a link. Now let the barbs and arrows come my way and everyone who hates Adobe pile on. I can handle it. (I also use Lightroom for timelapse software program).
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 10.36.18 AM.png

Reactions: NDWildBill
I hate to sound this way but you really get what you pay for. I expect a LOT of blow back from anti-Adobe forum members for this comment, but, if you can afford $240 a year try this Adobe Photography plan.

Photoshop has everything you would every want- and almost weekly improvements. The new Adobe Artificial Intelligence (Sensai). For example, the latest updates (all included) was (1) colorization (e.g.: you can colorize black and white) (2) Change depth of field on any image to change focus point (3) Super Resolution (you can enhance your resolution 4 x!!!. Their HDR program works in seconds in either Photoshop or Lightroom. Same with Panorama (photo merge). They have a free trial. Here is a link. Now let the barbs and arrows come my way and everyone who hates Adobe pile on. I can handle it. (I also use Lightroom for timelapse software program).
View attachment 131071
Adobe has some somewhat sketchy business practices. Depending on where you are, you may get a different price (this has been confirmed with the photography package, where some users are shown $19.99 and some $9.99; rumor has been that they're considering raising it to $19.99 for all and they're doing market testing). When I pulled up that page, the photography package is $9.99/m. Regardless, I've found that if you call them, they will give you a better deal, sometimes as much as half the price on their web site. I get the entire CC for a significant discount, and have for 4 years now. I just have to call before the renewal every year.

I do agree Ps/LR are worth it (as are some of the other apps, like Premiere Pro, though I've transitioned to Davinci Resolve despite paying for Premiere). That said, I much prefer a stand-alone HDR program. I've found Aurora HDR, for example, gives me much more nuanced control over settings than Lightroom when it comes to HDR images. So I use it to merge the images and then do further editing in Lightroom (and occasionally Photoshop). I used Photomatix years ago and it was good too.

Adobe has some somewhat sketchy business practices. Depending on where you are, you may get a different price (this has been confirmed with the photography package, where some users are shown $19.99 and some $9.99; rumor has been that they're considering raising it to $19.99 for all and they're doing market testing). When I pulled up that page, the photography package is $9.99/m. Regardless, I've found that if you call them, they will give you a better deal, sometimes as much as half the price on their web site. I get the entire CC for a significant discount, and have for 4 years now. I just have to call before the renewal every year.

I do agree Ps/LR are worth it (as are some of the other apps, like Premiere Pro, though I've transitioned to Davinci Resolve despite paying for Premiere). That said, I much prefer a stand-alone HDR program. I've found Aurora HDR, for example, gives me much more nuanced control over settings than Lightroom when it comes to HDR images. So I use it to merge the images and then do further editing in Lightroom (and occasionally Photoshop). I used Photomatix years ago and it was good too.
Maviac:

I think we are more or less on the same page and have followed the same chronological photo path! I too have called yearly for the Adobe discount and they grant it to me for 3 years running now.I am billed $29.99 monthly for the entire suite and I love being able to also use Premiere Pro, rarely After Effects, and even the PDF suite which allows me to edit PDFs, fill out PDF forms, etc. So I am paying $$30 x 12=$360/year which I can afford.

I also have Aurora, and Luminar, and even NIK suite, and have used Photomatrix in the past. I find the HDR from Photoshop more natural and less comic book looking than Photomatrix used to give me. I definitely need Lightroom LrC or LRTimelapse, my major pastime. An excellent photographer friend of mine loves Affinity Software (he switched from Topaz) and swears by it. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Dale

I use Lightroom Classic

Lightroom Classic (LrC)is perfect, but I am not sure you candy it as a stand alone product- it usually comes with Photosh
Lightroom Classic (LrC)is perfect, but I am not sure you candy it as a stand alone product- it usually comes with Photoshop.
With the Adobe Subscription you can choose which app(s) you want. Lightroom is $9.99 (USD) per month

It is a moot point with me because I have uses for both softwares. I use Lightroom Classic (LrC) primarily for timelapse and although it will do some local editing, it is much better for global (entire image) editing in. my experience. It is perfect for timelapse. Photoshop is a powerful program , and does infinitely more tasks, especially with all of its new updates such as Enhance, Colorize, Super Resolution, layers, etc. Both adjustment engines (e.g.: the sliders for exposure, contrast, shadows, highlights, etc. are the same engines for both.

It is a moot point with me because I have uses for both softwares. I use Lightroom Classic (LrC) primarily for timelapse and although it will do some local editing, it is much better for global (entire image) editing in. my experience. It is perfect for timelapse. Photoshop is a powerful program , and does infinitely more tasks, especially with all of its new updates such as Enhance, Colorize, Super Resolution, layers, etc. Both adjustment engines (e.g.: the sliders for exposure, contrast, shadows, highlights, etc. are the same engines for both.
I agree! I use both as well.

Maviac:

I think we are more or less on the same page and have followed the same chronological photo path! I too have called yearly for the Adobe discount and they grant it to me for 3 years running now.I am billed $29.99 monthly for the entire suite and I love being able to also use Premiere Pro, rarely After Effects, and even the PDF suite which allows me to edit PDFs, fill out PDF forms, etc. So I am paying $$30 x 12=$360/year which I can afford.

I also have Aurora, and Luminar, and even NIK suite, and have used Photomatrix in the past. I find the HDR from Photoshop more natural and less comic book looking than Photomatrix used to give me. I definitely need Lightroom LrC or LRTimelapse, my major pastime. An excellent photographer friend of mine loves Affinity Software (he switched from Topaz) and swears by it. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Dale
Yeah, I need Ps/Lr and have to have Acrobat Pro for work (I own my company so it's all a write off anyway), so I'd be paying basically the same for the photo package and Acrobat App ($30/m) as they're charging me for the whole CC. Acrobat includes the electronic signature package so that's worth the $30/m alone.

And I agree about wanting a natural HDR look. I hate over-saturated fake-looking HDR shots. I do tend to have to dial back the settings on Aurora to get the look I want. I probably need to play around more with the Adobe products with HDR work.

I don't like the whole monthly fee thing.
Affinty photo was about $90 for life.
They do offer a free version to try.
I find it does everything i have wanted to do so far. Hdr stacks , auto stitching panoramas ( biggest so far was 174 pics) photo adjustments etc

Reactions: spudster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito