DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Props - Prop Life

Corrysplace

Reactions
So I had my first crash :(
I was flying my A2S around the yard just to wear some batteries down before recharging and experienced two propeller failures at once... and then it crashed :rolleyes: (I will start another post for some questions about that).
Question I have, is there a life or flight time limit for the props? Should I just be replacing them on a regular basis. I haven't had any significant impact to them previously.
I was watching the drone when it crashed, it was only at about 15ft altitude and 30ft from me. Ironically, all blades ended up within 3ft of each other on the ground, and only apparent damage to the drone is the gimble. The camera is just touching the frame as it goes through it's rotation test and faulting out.
I'm also glad this was in the yard, I normally use the drone while out fishing so it's over water. I'm thinking from now on I'll always have the Phantom Rain rescue jacket on, it may have prevented gimble damage in this case.

Drone Broken Props.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Gagey52
This is the second RECENT thread where, I think, an Air of some sort has had a problem with propellers.
What sticks in my mind is the nature of the break in the propeller's hub, I would say that is fairly strange and wonder if it is something that should be drawn to DJI's attention.
I can't remember if the other thread was here or on the DJI forum but it might be worth trying to find it and compare notes with the guy.
I think the pilot thought it was a gull attack, there is a video and the drone becomes difficult to control and lands on a beach (possibly in sand) takes off and flips. Going by the icon, quite distinctive, the pilot is in his 40's to 50's and bald. I give the description to perhaps jog someone's memory and or make IDing the thread easier.
I would suggest you post a duplicate of this thread and photos over on the DJI forum. This would serve several purposes, raise awareness, maybe get the two of you in contact, draw the matter to DJI's attention.

Last edited:
With regards to the damage to the drone, I am not sure how applicable the suggestion will be but I would suggest trying to see if any of the damper rubbers that probably hang/suspend the gimbal assembly from the drone's body are displaced and or if the gimbal assembly is slightly off centre.
Do not dismantle the drone to do this, it is in my mind that you might have a claim against DJI for defective props and consequent damage. Dismantling the drone might void any such claim.
With the Mavic Mini and Mini 2, the gimbal assembly can somehow be pushed to one side and back and jammed, I bought a crashed/damaged one with this 'damage'. I do not remember what was causing the displacement to be 'permanent' but from memory I wiggled the gimbal's carrier frame and it was 'released' and returned to the correct position, the drone is now perfect.

I would also, for your own records, take good photos of the surfaces of the breaks across the propeller hubs, in metals the surface of a break can give engineers suggestions as to the mechanism of failure e.g. a growing fatigue crack, sudden tensile failure, shear failure etc. etc. I do not know if the same thing applies to plastics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corrysplace
this, I think, is the video, watch it to the end, where you can see the remains of the propeller.

Last edited:
I'm sure you wuld have seen the gull at least once in the video if indeed it was an attack!
Did the original poster actually say he saw such an attack?
I woud, as you infer, be suspicious as to the actual cause after viewing his propeller damage and yours!

If the drone never had a crash or rotor strike, then my experience is that broken hubs are typically the result of transporting the drone in an unsuitable way. Exposing a rotor hub to stress because of an unsuitable case or bag might result in a crack and later in a hub failure.

All good responses. As far as I can recall, the only prop impact that I've had previously is what I would call minor. I've hit my own hand a couple of times catching it while flying from the boat :), and I've landed in some long grass, but following inspections didn't identify any damage. I could understand previous damage if it was a front and back prop, from side impact, but this was both rear props, I would think it rare to reverse into something, but I could be wrong.
Travel wise, I keep the drone, controller and batteries in a Pelican case specifically shaped for each item, and have done since new.
As far as trying to rectify the camera gimble, I haven't been game enough to pull or push anything to far as I don't want to risk any further damage and void warranties.
I'll send it off via the DJI Care process, I am worried that I'll get a refurbished one back, I'd rather this one be repaired as it's only just 6 months old.

I would ask them to look at the props first before saying "treat this as a care refresh matter". As I said, this is the second, recent thread with what I think is a very unusual failure.

Question I have, is there a life or flight time limit for the props? Should I just be replacing them on a regular basis. I haven't had any significant impact to them previously.
I do mine about every 3 months regardless of flights logged. If might be 20 bucks, but it beats having to pay to fix the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00