DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bummed out

plexus

Reactions
Hi all. I use to fly RC small electric helis 8 years ago. I stopped flying them about 5 years ago. I also had some drones starting with the AR.Drone when it came out. I stopped flying the helis because I was spending too much time doing repairs on them from even minor crashes. Boy, the manufactures figured out how to make a killing on parts with that whole racket.

I got an Air a couple months ago. I was astounded at the change in laws about drones in such a short time - when I stopped flying RC there were no real rules about them. I got worried that flying the Air legally was going to be a drag. I am in Canada.

Flying around my house is ok. but there is limited space and stuff to make videos of. Plus is over houses and I in general am not fond of that. I mainly got the Air for camping trips. Boy was I naive! One of the laws now is no take off/land in national parks. But provincial parks don't appear to have specific rules. On the first (and last) camping trip I used the Air, the particular provinical park has vague rules about it. We had a campsite that was the only one on the lake and there was no one else around. So i had fun flying it and taking really nice shots and video.

On the way out I wanted to get a video of us paddling (canoe) to the shore. This was on a busy lake because of cottages and lodges. I got the Air up about 3m above the lake and engaged tracking. By this time a lodge boat came over to tell me "drones are banned. if the warden sees you, you will get a fine". I thanked the guy and proceeded to take my shot. when we got to the dock, 1.5 mins later, another guy ran up to me and said angrily "drones are banned. I am going to get the warden". he distracted me and I lost track of the Air but finally got it landed. We got out without a problem. That was 3 weeks ago.

But now I am bummed out and haven't used the Air since. I feel like now, flying it is some kind of dirty thing to do. All these irrational people freaking out over drones. I mean, flying the drone 3m off the ground is not a risk to anyone. I get the rules about higher altitude flight, but that's not the only use of an Air. I more often flying it no higher than 10m which is well below any other air traffic. Yet, "everyone" freaks out over it. When there are no people around, it's great.

I've even been thinking of selling it to be done with this irrational human behaviour. But I basically just bought the thing....

Anyone else get bummed out like this? Did you get over it?

I don't like an audience and fly where there is no one around. I have a few secret launch spots where I can get metropolitan shots, but break no laws doing so.
I just don't care for the distraction that spectators present.
How much was that? How high will it go? How far will it go? etc.
But, in over 4 years of flying drones, I have only had 3 encounters with paranoid people. So, I guess I am doing it right.

Reactions: Fplvert and JDawg
Wow Dude.......Canada is a relatively large place. I think JDawg was just trying to narrow it down a little...........chill!

Dude, relax. There's no need to get hysterical over a joke, dude. Seriously.

Hi all. I use to fly RC small electric helis 8 years ago. I stopped flying them about 5 years ago. I also had some drones starting with the AR.Drone when it came out. I stopped flying the helis because I was spending too much time doing repairs on them from even minor crashes. Boy, the manufactures figured out how to make a killing on parts with that whole racket.

I got an Air a couple months ago. I was astounded at the change in laws about drones in such a short time - when I stopped flying RC there were no real rules about them. I got worried that flying the Air legally was going to be a drag. I am in Canada.

Flying around my house is ok. but there is limited space and stuff to make videos of. Plus is over houses and I in general am not fond of that. I mainly got the Air for camping trips. Boy was I naive! One of the laws now is no take off/land in national parks. But provincial parks don't appear to have specific rules. On the first (and last) camping trip I used the Air, the particular provinical park has vague rules about it. We had a campsite that was the only one on the lake and there was no one else around. So i had fun flying it and taking really nice shots and video.

On the way out I wanted to get a video of us paddling (canoe) to the shore. This was on a busy lake because of cottages and lodges. I got the Air up about 3m above the lake and engaged tracking. By this time a lodge boat came over to tell me "drones are banned. if the warden sees you, you will get a fine". I thanked the guy and proceeded to take my shot. when we got to the dock, 1.5 mins later, another guy ran up to me and said angrily "drones are banned. I am going to get the warden". he distracted me and I lost track of the Air but finally got it landed. We got out without a problem. That was 3 weeks ago.

But now I am bummed out and haven't used the Air since. I feel like now, flying it is some kind of dirty thing to do. All these irrational people freaking out over drones. I mean, flying the drone 3m off the ground is not a risk to anyone. I get the rules about higher altitude flight, but that's not the only use of an Air. I more often flying it no higher than 10m which is well below any other air traffic. Yet, "everyone" freaks out over it. When there are no people around, it's great.

I've even been thinking of selling it to be done with this irrational human behaviour. But I basically just bought the thing....

Anyone else get bummed out like this? Did you get over it?

Thinking of selling?

I'm in south western Ontario and I've never been approached flying at all.. Did. Some flying in cottage country and everyone was cool. Pulled off a dirt road the other day and sat on my vans tailgate and did a few flights. Cars weren't interested in me at all lol

Just gotta pick your spots

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna