DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buttonville airport airspace (Markham Ontario)

tangy07

Reactions
Is it still a controlled airspace since the control tower closed already. If it's not anymore than I think we can fly in that area if it's not near the airport right?

Even though I know where you are, it would be a great courtesy to others on this INTERNATIONAL forum to state your location in both your profile and your question. It will also yield speedier responses,

Even though I know where you are, it would be a great courtesy to others on this INTERNATIONAL forum to state your location in both your profile and your question. It will also yield speedier responses,
Sorry fixed the title

But the control tower is closed already. I am asking if the control tower closed is it still a controlled airspace.

Give Torontair, the airport operator, a call and ask if they're still certified. If they are, which would be my guess based on a description of their operations, then the no fly restrictions do still apply.
If they are registered, but no longer certified, then the no fly restrictions do not apply.

BTW: This thread would have been better posted in the proper area here New Canadian rules

Give Torontair, the airport operator, a call and ask if they're still certified. If they are, which would be my guess based on a description of their operations, then the no fly restrictions do still apply.
If they are registered, but no longer certified, then the no fly restrictions do not apply.

BTW: This thread would have been better posted in the proper area here New Canadian rules
There are plenty of aerodromes that don't have control towers. And the exclusion zone applies. Even if Buttonville was out of the picture, there are quits a few exclusion zones nearby. AirMap Web App

More about it here:

Pilots, flight instructors concerned over closure of Buttonville air traffic control tower

Buttonville Airport's condemned tower gets a reprieve - but for how long? | CBC News

Safety concerns raised as Markham's Buttonville Airport tower closes, leaving pilots on own

-- sounds to me like it's still a very active airport as well as handling a lot of corporate jet service. Nav Canada is saying it's traffic fell below what's required to keep the tower, and apparently the tower was in decrepit condition, so it needed to come down anyways. It's hard to make a case for building a new one when the property is to be closed in 4 years.

thanks learn so much from here.

Disagree. This isn't about NEW Rules, it's about existing rules.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54