DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy Mavic 2 or wait?

Andre Coleman

Reactions
Any opinions would be helpful.
Buy a Mavic 2 now or wait a bit for the Mavic 3.
I'm not chasing the next best drone BUT it seems like
we are getting close.
And I'm not in a super hurry.
Six months or so...?

Buy the Mavic Air 2, see if you like it, and if you feel the need to upgrade then sell the MA2 when the M3 drops... The depreciation on these things is practically nil.

I have a feeling the MA2 will do everything you need, and you will find that the wait was unnecessary. Who knows, the wait may be indefinite the way regulations are going.

I would get while the gettin's good... as they say.

If timing is a question what you might think about doing is getting a refurbish M2 from DJI or a reputable dealer. A refurbished M2 zoom is under $1100. If you wait for the M3's most likely they'll be over $1500. Will it offer significantly more features that you'll be able to take advantage of? We won't know until the release which might happen soon. But if so, will you want to be the first in line to buy one before all the bugs are worked out?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
If you hang around waiting for the newest version of anything you never get anything, as soon as whatever is released the next version is on the horizon.

I was hoping someone would mention this.

Thanks everyone.
I appreciate your thoughts!

I also suggest you purchase the MA2. You'll be amazed of the photo and video quality and also the flight control of the MA2. Unless you're Ansel Adams I'll say you will have the tools needed to accomplish your intent. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
I also suggest you purchase the MA2. You'll be amazed of the photo and video quality and also the flight control of the MA2. Unless you're Ansel Adams I'll say you will have the tools needed to accomplish your intent. ?

I won't disagree. The MA2 is a wonderful drone especially at its price point. It has some great features. I think the only thing I would add is that if the OP has decided he is buying a drone NOW and debating between the MA2 and M2P/Z, he should look at both to see if it has any features you might miss (in no particular order). 1) A few might be side and top obstacle sensors. 2) Fixed aperture (MA2) at f2.8 or adjustable aperture (M2)? 3) Ability to rotate camera (M2). Digital zoom capability (MA2 now has that and it's great). 4) Low light quality. 5) Current ability to work with Litchi (not currently available for MA2, I believe). 5) Is it possible that DJI is working more heavily on the Go Fly app and phasing out the Go4 app (M2)?

I was in that very same quandry only a few weeks ago and decided on the M2P though very close to pulling the trigger on the MA2. What pushed me to the M2P side was the larger sensor for low light, but largely the ability to rotate the camera and adjustable aperture. But there are some features that have come out on the MA2 that make it even better and may have swayed me. I don't think you can go wrong with either decision. But if money is an issue at all, yeah, the MA2 is a great choice.

Reactions: xunhui
There is always going to be something better down the road and...uh...61's the new 40 but just sayin short answer Air 2

On December last year i was in you same shoes. Waiting for the Mavic 3 because the rumors says will be available on January. I give the shot on January 7 because the price was right for the M2P. I am very happy i did it. As the others mention, if the Mavic 3 is available just sell the M2P and get the 3. In my case even if the 3 is released i will wait few months to make sure all the bugs are corrected.

I will save all those that are waiting for the M3P. I have that kind of power!

My history is that after I purchased my Mavic Pro Platinum in the fall of 2018, the M2P arrived. So the strategy is for me to buy an M2P, and of course, a few months later the M3P will arrive. And all those that come waiting will be satisfied. Guaranteed.

Seriously though, I really need to start learning and experiencing a variable aperture drone. That's my main motivation.

Seriously though, I really need to start learning and experiencing a variable aperture drone. That's my main motivation.
It can definitely be helpful when you're not stuck in perpetual f2.8-land. While ND filters are still required for many things, and the lower apertures are noted for optimal sharpness, it isn't such a terrible thing to be able to close down the aperture instead of landing your drone, changing the ND filter and putting it back up again.

Any opinions would be helpful.
Buy a Mavic 2 now or wait a bit for the Mavic 3.
I'm not chasing the next best drone BUT it seems like
we are getting close.
And I'm not in a super hurry.
Six months or so...?
What season is it there? Do you want to get out flying while it's nice, or will you be waiting for Spring?

It can definitely be helpful when you're not stuck in perpetual f2.8-land. While ND filters are still required for many things, and the lower apertures are noted for optimal sharpness, it isn't such a terrible thing to be able to close down the aperture instead of landing your drone, changing the ND filter and putting it back up again.
That’s what I was thinking.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580