DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying a Mavic Pro in the USA for UK use

pauloross90

Reactions
Hi guys,

Considering buying a Mavic Pro in an Apple store in the USA (to bring back to the UK). Apart from the power cable being different, is there anything else worth considering?

Radio frequencies... warranty etc?

Am I right in saying that all warranty repairs have to be sent direct to Mavic anyway?

Radio power output will automatically change depending on your location.

Will you get stung import duty by our lovely customs bods on the way back in mate?

I would say yes! Or, don’t bring back the packaging and say you took it with you?

Allowance for other goods
You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If a single item’s worth more than your allowance you pay any duty or tax on its full value, not just the value above the allowance.

If you go over your allowance
You pay Customs Duty on anything you bring in above your allowance. The rate:

is 2.5% for goods worth up to £630
depends on the type of goods if they’re worth more than £630 - check by calling the VAT, Customs and Excise Helpline

I bought mine in the US a couple of weeks ago and brought it back in my hand luggage no problems

We used to buy cameras in Singapore and bin the boxes. Much easier to 'explain' to Customs & Excise [emoji12]
Otherwise it's duty to pay [emoji383]

This thread is good timing. My gimbal failed whilst over here in the US and I ended up buying another Mavic as I had 3 weeks of travelling and videoing to do, especially for yesterday's total eclipse as we were to be in totality and I wanted to fly it during it.

I wondered about bringing the new Mavic box back to the UK, but considering the VAT + Import Duty + 'fee'', I won't risk the boxes and so I'll just bring back the Mavics. Travelling with a mate so can say we have a Mavic each.

Cheers,

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

Buy it, test fly it in the US, bin the boxes.
The UK mavic price is ridiculous compared to elsewhere - several hundred dollars more for the same thing.
You may have issues with guarantee or servicing though.

It was actually cheaper for me to fly to the US, spend 3 nights in Miami and fly back than to get the mavic sent to me with delivery and duty.

Thats from a UK Caribbean territory not the UK itself but still, i had a 3 night break in miami for $50 less than i could have got the thing delivered to my door (and 3 weeks sooner).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird