DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying new Mavic, how to use old firmware etc?

Dimi

Reactions
Hi all,

I have decided to join the club and buy a Mavic Pro (non platinum).

Now I have read about all the restrictions that the new firmware and DJI GO app brings along and I'm not looking forward to registering my drone.

Not that I will do anything strange with it as a grown man, but still don't like the idea of bog brother watching me or files getting logged etc.

So I am not really sure how to tackle this since all topics are about rolling back firmware once you have a newer version. Like: https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-to-rollback-mavic-firmware.22871/

However I doubt that the Mavic I will buy here in the Netherlands has the newest firmware on it already.

Is there somebody that could explain what steps I should take after unboxing to check which firmware I have and then how stay at the firmware before everything get automaticly updated?
Like maybe I dont have to rollback, but just block the program to connect to internet by adjusting my hostfile.

Further more I have already installed DJI GO 4.0.6 and have blocked it from updating. That's a good version to go for right?

Hope someone can help!

Last edited:
Plan on flying where you shouldn't?
I would fly it before you figure out how to reverse the software updates, if you have a problem with law enforcement, then back up the firmware to criminal mode.

Reactions: Dimi
Plan on flying where you shouldn't?
I would fly it before you figure out how to reverse the software updates, if you have a problem with law enforcement, then back up the firmware to criminal mode.
No not at all. :confused: (honoustly)
But for instance, I might want to fly around some cliffs in Greece at max 50m hight, however all Greek Islands are entire NFZ's. So no use buying it for holiday shots if I can't even take off :)

There isn't an auto update for mavic and controller, it will ask you update yes or no
Oo that is great, thanks man. Think this answers my question. Thumbswayup

I will just have to check with which firmware it will come.

Reactions: infectedArtIST
Not that I will do anything strange with it as a grown man, but still don't like the idea of bog brother watching me or files getting logged etc.... Is there somebody that could explain what steps I should take after unboxing to check which firmware I have and then how stay at the firmware before everything get automaticly updated?

I don't like "bog brother" either. :D

In fact, if you don't want DJI to know anything about you, you can anonymously register your Mavic and they can't hunt you down (or tattle on you).
Anonymous DJI Registration

Like maybe I dont have to rollback, but just block the program to connect to internet by adjusting my hostfile.

No need to worry. Just register (however you wish), and enter your Mavic through the app. The triple dots (hamburger) will allow you to see what version of the firmware your RC and Mavic are on. Even easier, just attach either one to your computer, fire up DJI Assistant, and it will report your firmware version on the connected device. No need to block Internet access via either method. Firmware updates (thus far) are voluntary, not mandatory.

Further more I have already installed DJI GO 4.0.6 and have blocked it from updating. That's a good version to go for right?

That's a great version. It will work well, though frankly, the newer app versions don't cause much problem either (it's the firmware that creates the restrictions). There are even a few tweaks in the newer app versions that are nice to have.

I don't like "bog brother" either. :D

In fact, if you don't want DJI to know anything about you, you can anonymously register your Mavic and they can't hunt you down (or tattle on you).
Anonymous DJI Registration

No need to worry. Just register (however you wish), and enter your Mavic through the app. The triple dots (hamburger) will allow you to see what version of the firmware your RC and Mavic are on. Even easier, just attach either one to your computer, fire up DJI Assistant, and it will report your firmware version on the connected device. No need to block Internet access via either method. Firmware updates (thus far) are voluntary, not mandatory.

That's a great version. It will work well, though frankly, the newer app versions don't cause much problem either (it's the firmware that creates the restrictions). There are even a few tweaks in the newer app versions that are nice to have.

Thanks do much @lisadoc Much appreciated!

So the DJI GO udpates are not the reason for flight restrictions? It is just the deal of having to register your bird that causes everybody to want to keep 4.0.6?

So the DJI GO udpates are not the reason for flight restrictions? It is just the deal of having to register your bird that causes everybody to want to keep 4.0.6?

The flight restrictions are in the firmware, not the app. Registration is in the app but the restrictions are in the firmware (it will claim you are restricted on newer app versions but not enforce it). I personally like the newer app versions but I have two devices - one with the newest version and one with an older DJI Go 4 version. Version 4.0.6 doesn't nag you to update constantly and it doesn't give you grief for not signing in. The newer versions will but if you can ignore them and not freak out, you can utilize the newer app and its more robust functions.

No not at all. :confused: (honoustly)
But for instance, I might want to fly around some cliffs in Greece at max 50m hight, however all Greek Islands are entire NFZ's. So no use buying it for holiday shots if I can't even take off :)

So you “honestly” don’t want to fly your Mavic someplace you shouldn’t, but then you give an example of wanting to fly on islands that are NFZs. There’s a bit of a conflict there.

Dont forget to get the stealthy quiet props so your victims have less a chance to catch you!

Update:

Have the Mavic for over 2 weeks now, and wow! What an incredibly cool machine!

Just like @ac0j said, I should just fly it for a while before thinking about rolling back firmware etc.

The only restrictions I see on the mavic's maps are 5km around the airfields which is a good thing offcourse!
I thought I couldn't take off anywhere around my city as according to local drone NFZ maps this is also a NFZ. (yellow zone)

Further more I wouldn't even dare to fly it higher then the restricted 500m. No need to even fly higher then 200m (even that is not legal)

So a happy mavic owner here! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Boomstick
So you “honestly” don’t want to fly your Mavic someplace you shouldn’t, but then you give an example of wanting to fly on islands that are NFZs. There’s a bit of a conflict there.

Why assume someone wants to perform criminal activity? I hated being restricted to 20mph, so i sold my mavik, bought one used that had never been updated, problem solved. There are as many reasons to want original features as to want new "benefits". While some idiots will be looking to do malicious criminal activity, i think most people arent looking to exploit the original features for criminal intent, they have fun things they want to do. While reality checks are important, we can try to remember the excitement, and naivety of when we were buying our first Mavic, and how fun it was to think about all the things we would be doing. Reality will force its way upon each new Mavic owner, as it did me. I bought my first Mavic to take on a Carribean Cruise, and then found out none of the Islands allowed the use of them,by tourists....oh well, im still flying...

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
There are many scenarios where having a modded Mavic could be - literally - a life saver. Some examples:

1. 500m limit: A friend of yours went for a hike or climb in the mountains while you're camping in the foothills. You get a call from him on a radio that he fell and severely injured himself, and his radio will die any minute now, he gives you details where he is located. There's no cell service, you need to find a way to him to help him descend. You can send your Mavic to precisely locate him so you know where to go and how to get there. You fly and BOOM! - you hit this stupid 500m limit. Your friend dies of bleeding. Thanks, DJI!

2. You are in NFZ, but some emergency happens (earthquake, flood, etc.) where flying your drone for spotting would be highly beneficial. There are no aircraft flying around, and you're going to fly low, just over the houses/treetops. Why not?

3. I once had my car burglarized and almost hijacked when I was hiking in Arizona; fortunately, the place where I parked was visible from the trail. What saved me from losing my car and more of the belongings stolen was a little 8x monocular that I had with me. I was about 2-3 miles away and couldn't see what was happening with the naked eye, but could see with the scope and called 911. But it took more than an hour for the police to arrive. This place is not far from several airports. There is also a prison not far, so it well may be an NFZ. But if I had a modded Mavic with me, I could fly it to my car and scare the thieves away.

Etc. etc.

i assume you’re not in the us so if you’re planning to use forced fcc mode on your rc, newer app versions won’t work. but if you don’t need the forced fcc and want the new features, it would be good to update (app). you should back up your current version before updating incase you decide you want the forced fcc later.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk