DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA online competency test (UK) - strange questions

I can't help thinking we are better off with guidance than rules...of course I agree with the 400' rule etc but guidance for clearance from structures for example is a good thing.
We are all required to fly safely, but if for example two structures were 90m apart it would be impossible to fly between them and maintain 50m clearance. I personally would prefer to be able to make a judgement based on guidance rather than be prohibited by rules.
Perhaps on occasion we should welcome some ambiguity?

many good points there dont forget this is something new,you can bet that as time goes on many of the ideas in your post could be implemented further down the line,and then there are the new rules coming in in 2020 which we will probably implement to fall in line with europe
True just seems silly to not be joined up would have been better to have waited until Cap1789 has been finalised, as its only June next year

Reactions: old man mavic
I think the best way to have done this is as follows;

For people that already own drones, then apply the new process, but with a one off registration and a re-test every three years.

For new flyers - Nobody is allowed to buy a drone until they pass the test. The test pass certificate has to be presented to the retailer with valid ID prior to sale.

For second hand sales, the seller should be responsible for ensuring the buyer has the required test certificate.

I can't help thinking we are better off with guidance than rules...of course I agree with the 400' rule etc but guidance for clearance from structures for example is a good thing.
We are all required to fly safely, but if for example two structures were 90m apart it would be impossible to fly between them and maintain 50m clearance. I personally would prefer to be able to make a judgement based on guidance rather than be prohibited by rules.
Perhaps on occasion we should welcome some ambiguity?
i get your point ,but i think we are already doing that now to some extent,as we fly around if i am flying along at a 1000 ft distance and 200 ft altitude,in a changing topography i would not be able to tell if i sometimes flew outside the rules, this test is just to show that you have read the information and that you have demonstrated in a test that you have done so ,its about accountability you cant plead ignorance after the fact and say that you didnt know

Reactions: Hiwayman
I just had a go through the CAA online test (Overview : Flying drones and model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority). I got some really weird questions and dubious answers.
---------------------
Nick is out flying a drone when it starts to snow.
What does he need to consider to stay safe?

You answered:

That other people can still see his drone.

Correct answer:

That he is not getting too cold to be able to use his controller.
---------------------
???? Surely maintaining view of the drone is more important than "getting too cold"

And this one. None of the 4 answers seemed correct to me.
---------------------
Ameen wants to fly his drone over a flower show being held in a country field to get some good images from above. About 150 people are at the show.
Which of the following is correct?

You answered:

He can fly here, but he should remain at least 150m above the show to avoid invading people's privacy.

Correct answer:

He can fly here as long as his drone remains at least 50m away from the people at the show.
---------------------
Soooo.... a show of 150 people isn't a "busy area" that you need to keep 150m away from then? They seem to be saying you could fly over this group of 150 people as long as you are 50m up. This is not my interpretation of the "drone code" which is basically don't fly over anyone if you can help it, especially not any sort of event with a group of people.

I'm interested in what questions other people got that they might disagree with...
Think most people will get the same questions wrong, thought the cold fingers option was a joke ! Seems to indicate you’re registering your drone, when you’re actually just registering yourself . For £9 I expected proper labels to be supplied, seems we have to make them ourselves?

Think most people will get the same questions wrong, thought the cold fingers option was a joke ! Seems to indicate you’re registering your drone, when you’re actually just registering yourself . For £9 I expected proper labels to be supplied, seems we have to make them ourselves?
Yep. I'm sure some industrious soul will try to profit from it. I got one of those handheld label printers so I can make my own. It was £20, but as it looks like the number will change every year I'll get my money's worth out of it in the long run.

Reactions: Duggy
To make things a bit easier for those that haven't taken the test yet, I've converted the CAA Drone Code website into the attached PDF (note only accurate as of the October 2019 publication)

Attachments

• The Drone & Model Aircraft Code.pdf
    739.4 KB · Views: 455
That's a pass for me! Accept the 'strange' questions/answers, refer to the Drone Code, job done. Won't stop another Gatwick however!!

For those FPVUK members this is what applies to you regarding CAA Registration, Operator ID and Flyer ID and present exemptions.

Attachments

• FPVUK-CAA-Drone-and-Model-Aircraft-Registration-Scheme-DMARES(1).pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 11
What, you mean like the copy I posted yesterday 2 entries up? ?

If you check the PDF file it is not the same file as your CAA pdf file, this is info concerning FPVUK.members only.

Last edited:
Think most people will get the same questions wrong, thought the cold fingers option was a joke!

OK, just got around to doing the test (20/20) and this one actually makes a *little* more sense to me now. As usual with multi-choice tests you need to read the question carefully in case it doesn't say what you initially think it does.

It doesn't actually mention maintaining visibility of the drone through the snow, but rather of the camera, which I think is supposed to make it a nonsense scenario that should be discounted. Given the other two options that are also bogus, that just leaves the "cold hands" one. Yeah, definitely not the best question, but still technically correct and compliant with the written guidance you're meant to review before you start the test (not just the poster). Specifically, Point 10: "cold or wet weather could affect your ability to control your drone or model aircraft safely." (Point 10 also covers the question about glare from the sun).

Still, this one does seem to be catching quite a few people out, so I expect it'll get quietly swapped for another question in a later version of the test.

Last edited:
OK, just got around to doing the test (20/20) and this one actually makes a *little* more sense to me now. As usual with multi-choice tests you need to read the question carefully in case it doesn't say what you initially think it does.

It doesn't actually mention maintaining visibility of the drone through the snow, but rather of the camera, which I think is supposed to make it a nonsense scenario that should be discounted. Given the other two options that are also bogus, that just leaves the "cold hands" one. Yeah, definitely not the best question, but still technically correct and compliant with the guidance provided before you start the test.

Still, this one does seem to be catching quite a few people out, so I expect it'll get quietly swapped for another question in a later version of the test.
it is a clever question really in a way, because it is asking you if have understood the consequences of flying your drone in very cold weather, and what affect that would have on your ability to control it in a safe manner, and also if you have read the specs of your aircraft with regards to the temperature range of safe flight they could have asked what,are the dangers of flying your drone in extremely hot and sunny conditions

Reactions: The Fat Controller
it is a clever question really in a way, because it is asking you if have understood the consequences of flying your drone in very cold weather, and what affect that would have on your ability to control it in a safe manner, and also if you have read the specs of your aircraft with regards to the temperature range of safe flight they could have asked what,are the dangers of flying your drone in extremely hot and sunny conditions

Well maybe, but I would have thought the fact you will lose sight of the drone in snow would be much more significant than getting cold fingers.

no such thing as a rich idiot then?
I passed!
Got two wrong [emoji849]
One was keeping your hands warm, but i suppose makes some sense.
It’s a great idea and can be improved but it’s a starting point and the £9.00 fee is nothing really and I say should it be £200.00 or something?

The reason in my opinion because that would certainly make people think twice about buying a drone thus keeping some idiots away and on renewal perhaps reduce it from year to year as a loyalty thing towards existing pilots perhaps where he/she would be perceived to be more experienced and mature.

Reactions: Welsh pilot
20 out of 20 for me, but I found the 2,000 people music festival one interesting, in their use of "public footpath".

"Rory walks along a public footpath until he's 150m away from the festival crowds and stands in a neighbouring field"

Sure the question is about "taking off and flying safely", which is all about the distances, but nothing about the legality of just taking off in someone's field. If you've just bought a drone, go do this test, read that and go "Oh right, public footpath; check. Correct distance away; check. Awesome I'm good to go".

I mean, I'm all for that ?just struck me as weird, somewhere it's been through committees and focus groups, and someone's gone "Ooooh, better make sure we specify public footpath", as though that makes a difference.
I am a pfco holder and found that one weird, stating ok to fly from public footpaths? they can now hardly say you cant when it is their correct answer!

Reactions: revdancatt
Are you sure about that? Under what authority? The Police will have new powers, but that's it. Anyone else will have to report the incident to the Police.
i did do some further research on this subject and you were correct ,because it is a legal requirement to comply then it is the police who will have to enforce it, i was told that anyone can contact the police if they think that a drone is being operated in a dangerous manner, or with out being registered and it is then up to the police to investigate, according to the caa website the public should call 101 if they wish to make a complaint ,and failure to comply could land you with a fine of up to £1000 if you have not bothered to register

Reactions: Lastrexking
i did do some further research on this subject and you were correct ,because it is a legal requirement to comply then it is the police who will have to enforce it, i was told that anyone can contact the police if they think that a drone is being operated in a dangerous manner, or with out being registered and it is then up to the police to investigate, according to the caa website the public should call 101 if they wish to make a complaint ,and failure to comply could land you with a fine of up to £1000 if you have not bothered to register
Ive called 101 several times for things far more worthy of a Police presence only to be questioned each time who I was whats my address etc... they seemed to be more interested in taking my details than details about the crime in progress I then get told that if there are police available or in the area they will try and attend but they are very busy with more important things so this seems like nothing will really happen if reported.

Ive called 101 several times for things far more worthy of a Police presence only to be questioned each time who I was whats my address etc... they seemed to be more interested in taking my details than details about the crime in progress I then get told that if there are police available or in the area they will try and attend but they are very busy with more important things so this seems like nothing will really happen if reported.
you are probably correct in your analisis it all depends if the police in a particular part of the UK have a chief constable who decides ,because it is a new law on the statute books they are going to go all out to get convictions for none compliance its like most things in life a postcode lottery

I just had a go through the CAA online test (Overview : Flying drones and model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority). I got some really weird questions and dubious answers.
---------------------
Nick is out flying a drone when it starts to snow.
What does he need to consider to stay safe?

You answered:

That other people can still see his drone.

Correct answer:

That he is not getting too cold to be able to use his controller.
---------------------
???? Surely maintaining view of the drone is more important than "getting too cold"

And this one. None of the 4 answers seemed correct to me.
---------------------
Ameen wants to fly his drone over a flower show being held in a country field to get some good images from above. About 150 people are at the show.
Which of the following is correct?

You answered:

He can fly here, but he should remain at least 150m above the show to avoid invading people's privacy.

Correct answer:

He can fly here as long as his drone remains at least 50m away from the people at the show.
---------------------
Soooo.... a show of 150 people isn't a "busy area" that you need to keep 150m away from then? They seem to be saying you could fly over this group of 150 people as long as you are 50m up. This is not my interpretation of the "drone code" which is basically don't fly over anyone if you can help it, especially not any sort of event with a group of people.

I'm interested in what questions other people got that they might disagree with...

In you first question, you misinterpreted the regulation .. you must insure YOU remain in VLOS not ‘other people’ hence that answer is not correct and the only viable answer is the cold hands one because you have to maintain control of your drone at all times.
in the second question, again thequestion has been read incorrectly.. it clearly says remain 150mtrs ABOVE the show .. you can not do this because maximum height is 400ft (120mtrs) therefore you would be flying illegally. Of course the crowd is less that 1000 people and therefore the actual regulation to apply is remain at least 50mtrs from people, building or vehicle not under your control.

i agree the questions can be a little confusing but if read correctly and with a full understanding of the regulations, there is only 1 correct answer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada