DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cable for w/ Apple iPad Air 4?

AdventureCity

Reactions
My wife just got an Apple iPad Air 4 for her birthday. Happy bday to her ... happy bday to me! I am hoping to use it to fly my Mavic 1 Pro, but I can't figure out what cable I need. The Apple uses USB-C, but the Mavic controller uses "USB Type C" ??? Obviously there is a difference because I cannot plug Mavic's OEM cord for the Mavic remote into the iPad, just as a test fit (trying the USB end).

Anyone know that the proper terms are to get the right cord? Second question would be advice on what type of holding device you would recommend for holding the 10.9" screened iPad.

Ok, I just learned that the bottom of the Mavic remote has a USB-A connection point. I've never used it. That means I need USB-A to USB-C cable. Right?

How about a holding device? Any recommendations?

Ok, I just learned that the bottom of the Mavic remote has a USB-A connection point. I've never used it. That means I need USB-A to USB-C cable. Right?

How about a holding device? Any recommendations?
This is the USB cable that I use with my ipad air 4th gen and my Mavic 2 Pro, also used with my Mavic Pro.

I use this tablet holder, I really like the ball head mount for positionng. It is similar to tripod ball mounts, so familiar and intuitive if you are a photographer.

Reactions: AdventureCity
Also, the screen on the iPad air is rather reflective and difficult to see on a bright day. You'll want one of these, it collapses flat, works well, fits great.

If you fly more than 4 drone batteries, you may find your controller battery getting low. You can use the usb-a cable you mentioned earlier fornyour ipad air and then plug in a thin battery pack to the side usb plug of the controller and charge it. I use this battery, attached with velco to the back of my ipad air. Easy reach with the cable I mentioned in previous response.

DroneyDave: you are full of all sorts of information!

I ordered the cable. Yeah, that's the type of holder I was thinking of and the shade as well. Will take a closer look in a couple of days. Thanks.

Great tip on the power, but I've only got two batteries, so the remote rarely goes below 50%.

Reactions: DroneyDave
DroneyDave: you are full of all sorts of information!

LoL, I do a lot of research when I get interested in something. I absorb a ton of info, plus a lot of trial and error figuring crap out. I’m kind of picky about some things. I really don’t like cheaply built equipment

I’ve used a few different iPad mounts. The ball head is by far my favorite. Easy adjustability, hand tightened knob secures the ball nicely, securely holding the weight of the iPad. No extra tools are necessary.

I didn’t really like the mount style that held my iPad on top of the controller, over the antennas, the balance didn’t feel right to me. The mounts that are gripped between the handles balance really nicely with the weight of the iPad air 4.

The rigid style mounts felt good and solid, but restrictive and I never felt I could get the right angle for me. The aluminum adjustable 3 hinge style worked well, but over time the hinges would loosen and an Allen wrench was needed to tighten. Though not a big deal, it was just one more thing to carry and one more thing to make sure was good and tight prior to flight.

You’ll eventually get more batteries, 2 just simply isn’t enough. You’ll understand what I mean soon enough. When I go out flying, I usually bring 2 drones, M2P and my Yuneec Typhoon H+. I have 6 batteries for both drones, a total of 12 batteries plus a portable battery pack that charges 4 M2P batteries. I still have days that I wish I had more flight time in the field.

LoL, I do a lot of research when I get interested in something. I absorb a ton of info, plus a lot of trial and error figuring crap out. I’m kind of picky about some things. I really don’t like cheaply built equipment ...
Your insight is exactly what I need. I know what you mean by batteries for anyone who is more than a casual hobbyist. The reason I have M1P is because I bought it when M1P first came out - Jan 2017. For the first 6 months I was flying daily to check my ranch, then it developed gimbal issues and sat for a very long time before I finally replaced enough to get it working again. Two batteries is a good number for my use. However, recently I made a video of a piece of property that I want to sell. I was using waypoints and learned quickly that two batteries were insufficient for that type of activity. If I get to close on that property, I am likely to get something new. My son made his "sport" drone that is incredibly fast and nimble. He uses FPV goggles. I'm more of the video photography type and like the concept of switching out cameras to use expand into FLIR or zoom. But we'll see. Need to get to that closing date first.

My wife just got an Apple iPad Air 4 for her birthday. Happy bday to her ... happy bday to me! I am hoping to use it to fly my Mavic 1 Pro, but I can't figure out what cable I need. The Apple uses USB-C, but the Mavic controller uses "USB Type C" ??? Obviously there is a difference because I cannot plug Mavic's OEM cord for the Mavic remote into the iPad, just as a test fit (trying the USB end).

Anyone know that the proper terms are to get the right cord? Second question would be advice on what type of holding device you would recommend for holding the 10.9" screened iPad. what cable do you use i have ipad 10.9

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada