DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cable preference connecting the controller to a ChrystalSky display

Barbara

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Not sure whether to post here, or on the ChrystalSky (CS) sub forum....

It appears that I have some options when connecting my M2Z controller to the CS.

Option 1: Connect the USB3 port on the bottom of the controller to the USB-C port on the CS. This cable comes with the M2Z. Unfortunately the mount I have for the CS blocks the USB-C port on the CS. It was bought for my Spark originally.

Option 2: I have a USB OTG cable (I use with my Spark) that I can connect the Micro USB port on the side of the controller (Host end) to the Micro USB port on the CS.

Both connect properly, as far as I can tell. I just got the M2Z yesterday and the weather is not cooperating for a test flight today. My question is whether or not there is any performance benefit using one connection method over the other?

Any help would be appreciated.

I use the PolarPro mount for my CS often. I use the PolarPro cable from the USB post on the controller mid bottom (must unfold controller to see it.
To work properly the cable on the left side of the controller must be unplugged from it.

Not sure whether to post here, or on the ChrystalSky (CS) sub forum....

It appears that I have some options when connecting my M2Z controller to the CS.

Option 1: Connect the USB3 port on the bottom of the controller to the USB-C port on the CS. This cable comes with the M2Z. Unfortunately the mount I have for the CS blocks the USB-C port on the CS. It was bought for my Spark originally.

Option 2: I have a USB OTG cable (I use with my Spark) that I can connect the Micro USB port on the side of the controller (Host end) to the Micro USB port on the CS.

Both connect properly, as far as I can tell. I just got the M2Z yesterday and the weather is not cooperating for a test flight today. My question is whether or not there is any performance benefit using one connection method over the other?

Any help would be appreciated.
Once you get DJI Go 4 app connected with a drone, it shouldn't matter.

All of the proprietary Dji mounts have the CS connected via the central bottom usb-c port
1601762582962.jpeg

I use the PolarPro mount for my CS often. I use the PolarPro cable from the USB post on the controller mid bottom (must unfold controller to see it.
To work properly the cable on the left side of the controller must be unplugged from it.
Thanks Thomas. I have the Polar Pro Flightdeck on order but it still days out. Oddly, the supplier didn't have the PolarPro cable for it. The cable that comes with the M2Z will work (much longer than it needs to be).

The other reason I'm looking to possibly use my old mount is that I have fabricated an adapter that allows me to mount my whole rig, controller, CS and all, to the quick release plate on a tripod. I would have to fabricate a new adapter for the PP Flightdeck.

Once you get DJI Go 4 app connected with a drone, it shouldn't matter.
You are most likely correct. A lack of specs by DJI (or knowledge on my part perhaps) leads me to wonder about potential performance differences.

I know the bottom USB-A connector on the controller is USB3, and the bottom Connector on the CS is a USB-C. Both fast. The alternate USB micro to USB micro, I don't know what they are, as DJI does not say. Then again, as you said, it's likely either one is going to be fast enough. Thanks.

All of the proprietary Dji mounts have the CS connected via the central bottom usb-c port
View attachment 114374
I like the look of this for its simplicity.

I like mounting my rig on a tripod at times though. I have Essential Tremor (mild) and not having to hold and balance the controller makes it easier to control the joysticks. My current setup allows me to do that, and quickly remove it from the tripod and use a lanyard.

You are most likely correct. A lack of specs by DJI (or knowledge on my part perhaps) leads me to wonder about potential performance differences.

I know the bottom USB-A connector on the controller is USB3, and the bottom Connector on the CS is a USB-C. Both fast. The alternate USB micro to USB micro, I don't know what they are, as DJI does not say. Then again, as you said, it's likely either one is going to be fast enough. Thanks.

A micro USB data rate is 480 mbps, so hopefully the controller is not transmitting above this.

Maybe this is why DJI is using the USB-C on the CS.

I am quite sure the A port on the bottom of the controller is not USB3. There's no need for extra speed from the controller. USB3 cables and devices are backwards compatible with USB2.

The included cable is USB3, but that's to take advantage of the AC's USB3 compatibility so you can transfer video and picture files faster to your PC. A great advantage of you had to use the internal 8GB storage that can't be otherwise removed like you can an SD card.

Avoid using the micro port on the controller. Micro cable connections tend to wear out/get loose, and you could accidentally try to insert the cable backwards, damaging the port.

Reactions: Thomas B
I am quite sure the A port on the bottom of the controller is not USB3. There's no need for extra speed from the controller. USB3 cables and devices are backwards compatible with USB2.

The included cable is USB3, but that's to take advantage of the AC's USB3 compatibility so you can transfer video and picture files faster to your PC. A great advantage of you had to use the internal 8GB storage that can't be otherwise removed like you can an SD card.

Avoid using the micro port on the controller. Micro cable connections tend to wear out/get loose, and you could accidentally try to insert the cable backwards, damaging the port.

Thanks Dan. True, DJI doesn't specify whether or not the USB-A port on the controller is a 3 or not (It's not blue). I believe you are correct. I also missed the fact that the aircraft's USB port is a C. (too many USB standards)

Ultimately I plan to use the USB-A (controller) to USB-C (CS) connection, but for the next few days the only way for me to mount the CS precludes the use of the USB-C port on the CS. (poor deign of the mount) I don't know if I can wait for days before actually activating and flying my new toy, though once again today, the weather is not cooperating.

Thanks Dan. True, DJI doesn't specify whether or not the USB-A port on the controller is a 3 or not (It's not blue). I believe you are correct. I also missed the fact that the aircraft's USB port is a C. (too many USB standards)

Ultimately I plan to use the USB-A (controller) to USB-C (CS) connection, but for the next few days the only way for me to mount the CS precludes the use of the USB-C port on the CS. (poor deign of the mount) I don't know if I can wait for days before actually activating and flying my new toy, though once again today, the weather is not cooperating.
Although not much is wrong with standard controller + CrystalSky setup, perhaps the Smart Controller is offering the best combination of bright display and many other things standard controller is not capable of. Take a look at this, unfortunately not cheap option ...

Something to bear in mind that USB-C is just a connector and confusingly it's not tied to a standard so just because a device has a USB-C port doesn't mean it's high speed and it could be USB2.0. Same goes with cables, a USB-C to USB-C cable can look physically identical to another but they can have very different capabilities with no markings to indicate the difference. We use USB-C laptop docks at work and a single USB-C cable carries USB, displayport and power for the laptop but these cables have been going missing so they ordered some replacement USB-C to USB-C cables but when connected to the docks there was no display and the laptops didn't charge. They turned out to be USB2.0 USB-C cables and didn't support the higher speeds, displaylink or USB PD (Power Delivery)

I suspect the USB port on the underside is USB2 (the power output is 500mA) and I don't think there's any performance difference however the using the USB port on the underside is generally recommended because it's a more robust port than the connector on the side and appears more consistent.

Reactions: Barbara
Something to bear in mind that USB-C is just a connector and confusingly it's not tied to a standard so just because a device has a USB-C port doesn't mean it's high speed and it could be USB2.0. Same goes with cables, a USB-C to USB-C cable can look physically identical to another but they can have very different capabilities with no markings to indicate the difference. We use USB-C laptop docks at work and a single USB-C cable carries USB, displayport and power for the laptop but these cables have been going missing so they ordered some replacement USB-C to USB-C cables but when connected to the docks there was no display and the laptops didn't charge. They turned out to be USB2.0 USB-C cables and didn't support the higher speeds, displaylink or USB PD (Power Delivery)

I suspect the USB port on the underside is USB2 (the power output is 500mA) and I don't think there's any performance difference however the using the USB port on the underside is generally recommended because it's a more robust port than the connector on the side and appears more consistent.
Thanks for the info, I believe you are correct. I didn't realize that USB-C could be USB2.0. Too many flavours....I'm using the mini to mini connector for now, but will switch to the USB-A to USB-C once I get my new mount and short cable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan