DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cable question

Rchawks

Reactions
I have a cable I received from RC geek and I'm trying to cross reference the manuals to make sure I understand the compatibility of the products. I want to use this cable with my MM, this is what's stated on the box DJI Spark Lighting cable Right angle for DJI Mavic pro B0747DYMM8. In the MM manual is states on the RC side the connection is a Micro usb. The pro mentions usb. Is this the same thing, because I'm thinking it isn't. My concern is the delicate nature of the connection on the MM. Trying to force a snap on a new connector could damage my rc. I lost the original cable sunday when flying. It wasn't properly packed away and is gone. This cable is for ipad use and hasn't (obviously) been tried yet. Sorry for the long post just wanted to be clear what I need to know before just trying it.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
The socket on the side of the mini controller is a micro USB type A connection, it will accept either micro USB type A or type B plugs, (the latter is the one used on a lot of not young Samsung phones)
THEY MUST BE CORRECTLY ORIENTATED
See USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia about 2/3 the way down the page) or
It will not accept USB-C plugs, these have rounded ends.

From this video

it looks like the plug on the controller end of the cable around 1.12 is micro USB type A, if that is correct then you are fine.
If you are still worried post here an end on view of the relevant connector

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a cable from RC Geek for my Mini to iPad Air, worked fine for about 15 flights, I am very careful when connecting cables but this cable failed. Purchased another cable from another company and requested a refund.

As said above it is a micro USB type A connection.

To make sure you are trying to connect it the right way, if you look carefully just to the right of the connection on the controller, there is a diagram of the correct orientation. It helps to make sure you aren't trying to insert it upside down. Also using right angle plug on both ends help take some of the strain off the female connectors on the controller and phone.

One other consideration inline with concerns about the fragility of the socket, you might want to look at or for an cable with 90deg micro USB type A or B plug on one end (make sure to get the correct handing) and a full sized USB socket on the other and leave that permenantly attached (glued etc.) to the controller. The phone would then just use a normal USB to lightning charge/data cable. The 'problem' with this is that you then probably need a full sized USB plug to full sized USB plug cable to charge the controller, they are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
the main problem with the side port getting damaged is because the cable has been inserted the wrong way up ,it helps to avoid this if you put a small dab of model paint, or pinch the wifes bright nail polish on the connector so you know which way up it is as you insert it

I use magnetic cables on everything I have, once you plug the connector in you never have to remove it, especially useful on the DJI designed to brake controller. port, DJI have the only micro USB port that I know of that hasn’t got angled edges that make it impossible to insert the wrong way.

I use similar to these.

As said, right angle cables insure a correct fit to the remote. Every time.

Thanks for the input guys!
One last question, what is the difference if any between Micro USB and Micro USB A ?

Last edited:
The terminals/contacts in micro USB A & B are the same, the surrounds are different.......type A is rectangular, type B is 'six sided'.
The type B plug will fit a type A socket .........(DJI use this property to allow a type B plug to charger the controller) ........but........... a type A plug will NOT fit a type B socket because of the differing surrounds.
Have a look at the drawings in the wiki pages I gave links too in post #2

I finally got over the fear of it damaging the rc and it works Thumbswayup
I've got to be honest here the connector for that is so flimsy, that I had a very hard time comprehending the fact that it was used on other mavic drones before this. Not a fan the this connection and it isn't because of which side is up I've got the down (fold at the top tells me that) it's the inside connection using a new cable I was worried about. So to everyone again thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
I still think DJI got an incredible deal on about four million micro usb A type female sockets and we are all stuck with the result. Really, the mini is new - why the heck not use the micro c which they do use on other DJI products. (now to have some chocolate and calm down!!!)

• Haha
Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair