DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration

TedShred

Reactions
I'm on an extended motorhome trip from SoCal to the north. In Idaho now.
During this trip I haven't been notified by my M2P to calibrate either the IMU nor the Compass.
Just checking if this "normal" or not?
Thanks.

I basically get prompted that I need to recalibrate the compass every time I power up, provided its been a few days. I thought it was a possible hardware/software error but I think its pretty normal. You're better off being safe (recalibrating) than sorry (fly away).

I only get that message when I travel around 200 miles. Didn't used to get it at all so figured it must be in the firmware I have. I stay up todate on Go 4 and firmware .
I can make the same trip or further and never see it with my MP but it's no big deal for me as I only make that trip once a month.
Also the only time I will do one is when the app says to.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Some mp2’s are known to not have the calibration prompt.
I have one myself. I just look at the sensor state in the app to see if there is something that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: Thomas B
During this trip I haven't been notified by my M2P to calibrate either the IMU nor the Compass.
You could travel 5000 miles or more and it wouldn't make any difference to the compass.
Don't worry about it.
I basically get prompted that I need to recalibrate the compass every time I power up, provided its been a few days. I thought it was a possible hardware/software error but I think its pretty normal.
That's only because you got one of the Mavics that DJI programmed to unnecessarily ask for recalibration - not because there is any physical reason for it.
You're better off being safe (recalibrating) than sorry (fly away).
Recalibrating your compass or IMU does nothing that prevents a "flyaway" or makes your flying any safer.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Another on the list for the “calibration cure all”.
Silly.

I use an M2Z and from beginnig, i had never to calibrate wether compass nor IMU. Month later, i got warnig "compass calibrate required" or so..

I started on my smartphone the compass app and searched for the reason for the compass error. I used a flat carton box as a start / landignpad. The app showed a crazy magnetic field around the drone. The reason was a small cheap drone. The engine of this drone has such a staking magnetic field that the mavic was disturbed by it. I removed the box more than 10m from the start and the fault was solved. After this, i had never a calibrating issue.

Also disturbing for magnetic errors can be: smartphone cases with magnetic clips, all things with strong (even little) permanent magnets we use in many things or example speakers. Non magnetic steel like cars sea-containers, metallic buildings ar mostly not critical. most of the time it's the small things that cause the error and undermine our "radar" ;-)

Thanks.

I receive the message to calibrate every time I power up. I have tried many recalibrates and this message always appears. I have given up trying to fix so I just make sure my home point is established. I might recalibrate monthly

I have never received it and I have travelled from east coast to the west coast in US. Haven't yet hit the 30 day mark after I received it to see if it ask for recalibration then.

Reactions: M2Pro
It's really weird how one bird gets constant calibration messages and yet others none, it would seem to point to manufacturing differences or something added or not to the software how else would you get these anomalies, we have to remember it's mostly software that keeps these things in the air.

My first M2P had to calibrate every time, my second, (replacement) hasn't asked for it once.
I noted the serial number on my original, and then on the replacement, which was significantly higher. Maybe the software guys at DJI have fixed it?

Reactions: JimP Florida
My first M2P had to calibrate every time, my second, (replacement) hasn't asked for it once.
I noted the serial number on my original, and then on the replacement, which was significantly higher. Maybe the software guys at DJI have fixed it?
We should try and figure out the date of demise of the talkative compass.
Will you share those serial numbers? Of enough of us join in, i think it’s doable.

Thanks.

I have gotten into the habit of calibrating my Mavic 2 Pro and 2 Zoom EVERY time I use it. It only takes a few seconds and I've never had any problem with a fly off etc.

My M2P has never asked any compass calibration but when I went from Sweden to Greece (over 2000 km) and back, it asked me both times. Seems reasonable...

As one travels the magnetic variation/declination changes for example The magnetic declination in Los Angeles is 13 degrees east. New York City is 13 degrees west. If you are lucky enough to be lost just west of the Mississippi River on the agonic line where the declination is zero, then magnetic north and true north are the same, so your compass reads true north

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4