DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

California East Bay Regional Parks District Drone Restrictions , ??

This topic has been on my radar for some time.

A few years back, various restrictions around the Bay Area began to appear, which have now become so extensive that finding an open space from which to operate is challenging to say the least. The poster is correct, the EBRPD had restricted all drone operations from any of the areas it manages. That doesn’t sound like that big of a deal, until you realize that this organization manages all the parks, open spaces, reserves, scenic areas and bay access across the area, roughly 1745 square miles of public land. It’s effectively a ban of drone use across the region.

I protested to the EBRPD board, auguring that an outright ban was overlying restrictive, counter to the EBEPD charter to preserve these lands for the “use and enjoyment of the public”, and proposed a permitting system as an alternative.

After a lot of back and forth, I got the following response:

“After speaking with the AGM, he directed me to request that you submit a formal proposal to the General Manager regarding the intended drone operation. I recommend limiting the proposal to under 5 pages. I’ve listed some bullet points your proposal should cover, but don’t feel limited by it. Please add any information that you think would be helpful! Let me know if you have any questions.

Your group’s objectives in conducting this activity and how that aligns with the Park District’s mission.

Please confirm this is a group of friends conducting drone flights, not a non-profit or for-profit club

Outline your group’s approach to conducting drone flights and how it will be managed:
Purpose of flights

Number of people during a flight (and how many drones will be in use)

Confirm they all have pilot’s licenses and drone registration certificates

Parks (and where in the park) the drone will operate and flight over: you find maps here à EBRPD - Maps

Radius of operations from point of takeoff
Note any hazards such as power lines in the area

Flight dates

Time frame of drone operation

Examples of any signage that you’ll bring in that would notify the public of drone use in process

Describe safety procedures

If the General Manager and Board of Directors determines your group can fly drones, it will likely require either a Special Use Agreement or Special Event permit because recreational drone use is prohibited in Ordinance 38. There is an insurance requirement and I’ve included a screenshot below. There will likely be an associated fee too.”

I was asked to provide proof of insurance up to $1m in liability and $2m in aggregate. At which point I gave up.

Essentially, the district will allow for commercial access, but a hobbyist is out of luck. If enough people are willing to push back, maybe we will see some change. Currently, we have local commissions essentially denying all access and just living with it.
Wow, I am a new drone owner (Air2) and I am surprised about all the restrictions here in the Bay Area. I live in Pleasant Hill and accidentally flew mine in the Briones Regional Park, posted the video on Nextdoor, and got nailed by two different people. One was nice, the other not so nice. They get their horses and dogs off leash, then complain about the drone? and the Air2 is so very quiet.
Anyway, the one post that talked about the liability insurance - that is the typical costs that places like this ask for. It can be easily obtained as a bond with a bonding agent. I wonder if a homeowners insurance might do it too.
And, I was just looking up sites to go to on my vacation, and I found out that in Utah, some of the places only ban UAVs during the heavier tourist times, March through October, then allow them during November to February.
Maybe that would be a better option, that EBRPD would allow certain times of the year, or even one day a week or month or something. They are not bright keeping the drones out. The beautiful imagery is a bonus selling point for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky