DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera malfunction errors after transmission cable replacement

ahmaweed

Reactions
Hi!

My gimbal was stuck and none of the fixes worked (was flying perfectly though). I noticed one of the strands on the transmission cable was broken so I replaced it myself. Did a clean job and there were no issues. When I turned the drone on, there were a plethora of errors starting from camera malfunction, downward sensor error to incompatible gimbal.. and the drone wouldn’t fly (no picture/video feed).
Went through the whole process again and made sure all the connections were ok. Turned it on and the same thing. Thought maybe the replacement cable was faulty so I reinstalled the broken cable to test it but ended up with the same errors.

Tried DJI Assistant: upgraded and downgraded firmware to no avail.

Tried Python calibration but no luck
Attaching image of the errors for reference.

I have been going crazy trying to sort it since I need my drone for work and would really appreciate some help!

I have seen other posts here, and also on DJI forums, where people have reported this problem but couldn’t find a fix.

helppppp

and.. thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• AE49570A-2FFB-49EE-BC93-F92AFDC07BDD.png
    AE49570A-2FFB-49EE-BC93-F92AFDC07BDD.png
    550 KB · Views: 28
May or may not be the case but in some of the newer drones as I recall, replacing the camera at least requires some kind of proprietary software that only DJI has.

May or may not be the case but in some of the newer drones as I recall, replacing the camera at least requires some kind of proprietary software that only DJI has.
You’re right. The motherboard needs to be recoded through a proprietary DJI software (through DJI or an authorized retailer). However, I only replaced the transmission cable and didn’t do anything else. I also went back to make sure the connectors were set in properly and none of the pins were damaged, but no, everything looks fine.
Someone somewhere mentioned it might be the wires i.e. each has a unique serial number tied to the drone but don’t know how far that’s true..

For anyone experiencing the same problem, the issue was the video transmission cable. I got a new one and replaced and it's all good now! Happy I'm flying again!!!

For anyone experiencing the same problem, the issue was the video transmission cable. I got a new one and replaced and it's all good now! Happy I'm flying again!!!
Well done! I've recently bought a mini with a broken camera cable, going to try replacing it myself.

Your first attempt, was that a new cable that turned out to be faulty?

Well done! I've recently bought a mini with a broken camera cable, going to try replacing it myself.

Your first attempt, was that a new cable that turned out to be faulty?
Yes, it was an aftermarket one. Couldn’t find a DJI one, mostly because they’re sold out everywhere. First one was $16 from amazon.. then went with the PONYRC one for $20 and it was visibly better quality (also “best seller” on amazon).

Great info, thanks for that!

I got a mini 1 fly more pack for $50, with what the seller said was a wrecked gimbal and camera. The gimbal and camera physically look ok, cable is definitely broken.

If I can fix it with a $20 cable I'll be rapt!

Great info, thanks for that!

I got a mini 1 fly more pack for $50, with what the seller said was a wrecked gimbal and camera. The gimbal and camera physically look ok, cable is definitely broken.

If I can fix it with a $20 cable I'll be rapt!
Dayum! $50?! That's quite a deal!

Absolutely! I took the gimbal apart myself but halfway through, I checked out the following video justttt in case and ensure I didn't screw up anything delicate:

One thing that's not in the video (at 4:46) that I found on my drone is the camera had a stretchy black weather insulation around it. Just FYI, you won't need to pull out the camera all the way. When I was pushing the cable through, the insulation got on my wire so had to clean it off.

Only other thing I would advise on (8:27 in the video) is when pushing the wire down around the gimbal, make sure not to use too much force and don't use a screwdriver, it's possible to accidentally pinch the cable that can damage it.

For reference, this is the cable I bought that worked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B6BM4PX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope it all works out for you!!

Reactions: Alan Mac
Oh well. On mine the ribbon cable was torn. After waiting ages for Australia Post to deliver, (Usually you could walk to where the item was mailed from, pick it up and walk back faster. I'm serious. ) I finally got the new cable today and fitted it.

Gimbal and camera, still dead. While dismantling I noticed the PTZ cable had been given a reasonable pull too, such that it had squeezed itself between parts on the camera housing. So I guess I'll try replacing it too. The gimbal and camera look fine and move freely so I'm still hopeful it's just the cables and not the entire camera/gimbal that need replacing.

Thanks again for the advice, and the link to the video! Looks like I'll be watching it a few more times yet!

There's a post office across from my place but it takes days so I totally get it!

If the gimbal isn't moving at all then the PTZ cable could be the culprit. However, I am curious why you wouldn't get the camera feed if the transmission cable is fixed properly. I really hope it's just the cable for you and it's not a motherboard issue. **fingers crossed**

I would also recommend calling or showing up to your local hobby shops or drone retailers/repair shops and see if you can find someone helpful who can troubleshoot it with you in case replacing the PTZ cable doesn't fix the issue. I found a non-DJI authorized repair shop and they guy was just straight with me about how he could help or not, which helped me pinpoint the problem (transmission cable).

You're welcome! Please post updates. Hope you get to fly it soon because it's an absolute joy!

Reactions: Alan Mac
Since buying it I've learned more about how it got damaged. Apparently he hit some small branches of a tree, then his dog grabbed it! Now I know that, the external damage does look like tooth marks.... there's actually a puncture in one of the legs. I'm hopeful the motherboard is ok, there's no apparent damage around there. Maybe the PTZ cable provides power to the camera?

Anyway, new cable ordered, hopefully it'll arrive while I still have good enough eyesight to replace it!

Sounds like it's seen some rough times!

I'm not sure so can't say definitively; I didn't unclip the PTZ cable when making repairs. Look for any damage on the bottom of the drone where the teeth could have penetrated the body and into the motherboard just to make sure.

I hear you on the eyesight. If you're a hobbyist, I would recommend investing in this contraption: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P42O3...olid=10Y4ZATMN0AJ2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
This is a basic one and there are others out there with other features like lights etc.

Worst case scenario, you can return the cables and get your money back.. plus, you'll at least acquire intimate knowledge about the drone.

Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake