DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Profile for Mavic 2 Pro using DJI Pilot

I'm not sure that you'll find "definitive" answers about settings. A lot depends on your own personal preferences. Do you have any specific questions?

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm not sure that you'll find "definitive" answers about settings. A lot depends on your own personal preferences. Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks for the reply.

I have not found a good mapping app for the smart controller so I always took the Smart Controller into the field along with iPad and original controller when I need to do both mapping and photos/videography on same day.

I was thrilled to figure out the Pilot App can be installed and thought this was finally a solution.

I had done a handful of maps with good results that were only 2D and photo stitching.

BUT when I ran a few mapping missions that required 3D and true orthomosaics, the photos produced poor results. I had initially chosen the Mavic 2 Enterprise camera profile and then done a couple custom settings and nothing is giving great results.

And further....there is no way to adjust camera angle? What a dreadfully limiting app.

I'm not sure if it fits your needs, but if I'm not mistaken, Dronelink has a mapping feature. I'm not sure if that works with the Smart Controller, but I'm relatively certain it would run with your current breed of smart phones. If you have a standard controller it would be no problem switching over- if that's what it took to get the job done.

I'm not sure if it fits your needs, but if I'm not mistaken, Dronelink has a mapping feature....

Thanks!

I haven't found anything that works on the Smart Controller. And yes Pix4D, DroneDeploy, Ground Station Pro, all work fine but my regular controller is broken (again....bad USB board, won't charge) and even if it wasn't, trying to find a solution to taking out two controllers, another device for display and a cable.

Thanks!

I haven't found anything that works on the Smart Controller. And yes Pix4D, DroneDeploy, Ground Station Pro, all work fine but my regular controller is broken (again....bad USB board, won't charge) and even if it wasn't, trying to find a solution to taking out two controllers, another device for display and a cable.
So, other than a super bright display, what are the other advantages of a Smart Controller? Are they more trouble and expense than they are worth???

So, other than a super bright display, what are the other advantages of a Smart Controller? Are they more trouble and expense than they are worth???

Worth every penny.

95% of my jobs are just photography and videography. Very little mapping. I would never go back to the poorly designed (IMO) original controller. Hated the way it felt in my hands, awkward button placements, poor balance.

The Smart Controller just feels great to me with good balance, great "hand feel" and perfect button placements. One less cable and one less thing to charge (just the controller verse controller and iPad or mobile phone).

It is very rugged and turns on instantly and ready to fly.

Like I say, I hate thinking about ever having to fly without it now.

Just wish I didn't need to lug out a second set-up on days where I am doing mapping missions.

Worth every penny.

95% of my jobs are just photography and videography. Very little mapping. I would never go back to the poorly designed (IMO) original controller. Hated the way it felt in my hands, awkward button placements, poor balance.

The Smart Controller just feels great to me with good balance, great "hand feel" and perfect button placements. One less cable and one less thing to charge (just the controller verse controller and iPad or mobile phone).

It is very rugged and turns on instantly and ready to fly.

Like I say, I hate thinking about ever having to fly without it now.

Just wish I didn't need to lug out a second set-up on days where I am doing mapping missions.

I hope I get to the place taking aerial images where you're at where I can justify the extra expense of the smart controller.

I hope I get to the place taking aerial images where you're at where I can justify the extra expense of the smart controller.

Good luck!

It took me a while and a bit of hustle but am happy to say that yes, I bring in $500 - $1000/week as a side-hustle. I put a percentage of my earnings into an account that I use just for drone upgrades, controllers, gadgets and new phones/tablets/computers: anything that makes the aerial jobs easier. And I never think twice about spending that money.

Not that you asked but here's what I did: Got very good at taking photos and post-processing them.

THEN I would keep my drone in the car anytime I was out. I never left home without it and always had an SD card and charged batteries.

When I saw leasing signs at big strip centers and malls etc or FOR SALE signs for pad sites in commercial areas, I would take 10-12 photos of exactly what a commercial broker would want. I would spend a small amount of time culling the best photos, cropping, white balance, retouching etc. and send them to the broker listed on the billboard. (Usually I would have to Google the email as mostly just phone numbers/company name on billboard).

I would introduce myself, let them know that I love doing commercial photography and the photos are free to use anyway they want. No watermark of course. And simply ask them that they call me next time they need aerials done.

Often, there was no call back but 10 minutes of drone flying and 15 minutes of sending/processing isn't a big loss.

BUT the ones that DID call made it all worth it. I have several dozen constant clients now that keep me as busy as I want to be.

I tried doing residential realty too and my advice on that is take a 180° turn and run as fast as you can away from that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka