DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera view not working… kind of.

psmcgladdery

Reactions
Apologies if this problem has been discussed anywhere but I can’t find it despite looking everywhere I could think of.

A couple of weeks ago I got my MA2 ready to fly as usual, but on attaching the iPhone X to the controller and booting up there was no camera view, just a blank image. All the telemetry info was there, though it did give an Incompatible Gimbal message. I tried the usual “turn it off and on again” standard practice but no joy. I tried an android phone, no joy.

After refreshing the firmware of the AC and downgrading then reinstalling the latest firmware for the RC the Gimbal message went away. I tried unpairing and re-pairing the AC and RC. I formatted the internal storage and sd cards. Nothing works. I tried to record to see if it wrote to the SD. It does but very very poorly. There’s an image there but the video jumps straight through 30 seconds in a few seconds, like the file is corrupted or has missing fragments.

While trying absolutely everything (even anything that doesn’t make sense at this point) I turned the resolution down to 1080p and got a still image which occasionally updated but not in any useable way. It’s almost as if the AC is running out of RAM the way the image is behaving but everything else works fine. I’ve even tried taking off to see if that would force it to abandon any extraneous processes but after hovering with a sporadically changing still image on the screen it gave me the “image transmission lost” message before the RTH kicked in.

There has been no crash before this and it was stored in its waterproof and shockproof case. I can’t afford any expensive repairs at this time, and I really need it back up and running if at all possible. Has anyone encountered anything like this or does anyone have any idea what is going in inside it? At this point I’ll take any magic rituals that will fit!

Any help will be gratefully received.

Apologies if this problem has been discussed anywhere but I can’t find it despite looking everywhere I could think of.

A couple of weeks ago I got my MA2 ready to fly as usual, but on attaching the iPhone X to the controller and booting up there was no camera view, just a blank image. All the telemetry info was there, though it did give an Incompatible Gimbal message. I tried the usual “turn it off and on again” standard practice but no joy. I tried an android phone, no joy.

After refreshing the firmware of the AC and downgrading then reinstalling the latest firmware for the RC the Gimbal message went away. I tried unpairing and re-pairing the AC and RC. I formatted the internal storage and sd cards. Nothing works. I tried to record to see if it wrote to the SD. It does but very very poorly. There’s an image there but the video jumps straight through 30 seconds in a few seconds, like the file is corrupted or has missing fragments.

While trying absolutely everything (even anything that doesn’t make sense at this point) I turned the resolution down to 1080p and got a still image which occasionally updated but not in any useable way. It’s almost as if the AC is running out of RAM the way the image is behaving but everything else works fine. I’ve even tried taking off to see if that would force it to abandon any extraneous processes but after hovering with a sporadically changing still image on the screen it gave me the “image transmission lost” message before the RTH kicked in.

There has been no crash before this and it was stored in its waterproof and shockproof case. I can’t afford any expensive repairs at this time, and I really need it back up and running if at all possible. Has anyone encountered anything like this or does anyone have any idea what is going in inside it? At this point I’ll take any magic rituals that will fit!

Any help will be gratefully received.
Did it ever work?

Only thing I can think of is to try a different v30/U3 SD card but that doesn’t explain the live view issue when not recording.

Probably a warranty thing so I’d send it in as soon as possible if still under warranty

Did it ever work?

Only thing I can think of is to try a different v30/U3 SD card but that doesn’t explain the live view issue when not recording.

Probably a warranty thing so I’d send it in as soon as possible if still under warranty
Hi, thanks for your reply. The camera has been fine before this. It’s over a year old so not under warranty unfortunately. I spoke to someone at DJI support who advised me to send it in to the Netherlands, as there is no service centre in the UK, at my own risk (which is a bad idea given the postal relationship between here and Europe at the minute). If I can work it out I’ll send it to Drone Doctor because I know I can trust those guys but it’s going to have to wait a while while I get the funds for the post and diagnostic together. The SD card is fine and I tried it without anyway to be sure just using the camera internal memory but as you point out it wouldn’t explain the live view being crap. I’m still expecting it to be a software issue but could be wrong which is why I just threw it out there to see if anyone else had met the same issue.

Cheers.

I only ever had one gimbal issue, and that was with my Mini. The feed was fine but the gimbal went nuts and decided not to work, to which DJI told me something was wrong.
In the end I found a forum which said slapping the drone two or three times works… And hey, it did. No issues since. Not sure if it still applies, but maybe look up Air 2 slapping and see if it helps?

Lol. I’ve heard that one about slapping minis before. I’m not sure beating up the Air 2 will work but I’ve certainly felt like threatening it with violence! I sent it away to be diagnosed and they reckon it’s the camera cable so I’ve got one on order (the wanted £141 to swap it and I’m not Rockefeller) so hopefully that will cure it. It’s a straightforward strip down to remove the old one, I just need to be careful feeding the new one through and hopefully it’ll be up and running again. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lol. I’ve heard that one about slapping minis before. I’m not sure beating up the Air 2 will work but I’ve certainly felt like threatening it with violence! I sent it away to be diagnosed and they reckon it’s the camera cable so I’ve got one on order (the wanted £141 to swap it and I’m not Rockefeller) so hopefully that will cure it. It’s a straightforward strip down to remove the old one, I just need to be careful feeding the new one through and hopefully it’ll be up and running again. Thanks for the suggestion though.
A year late, but wondering if this ever got resolved. I have a very similar problem with Mavic 2. Camera image very fuzzy, no response to any amount of button pushing to get the camera to work. Message says the gimbal is not connected, and the drone keeps losing and regaining connection with the controller. I am also getting a little black and white square issue on various parts of the screen....which I got on my android before upgrading to an ipad which as been working perfectly for the last four years. This is the first problem of any kind I have had with this machine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin