DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Zoom Mavic Air 2

Critical image work always involves post processing to get the luminously and chroma accurate. Likewise cropping. If you have the entire image recorded, you can easily crop it to what you want. It is really not necessary to crop in camera with a digital zoom when you get better results in post processing.

A true zoom would be helpful if you need the maximum resolution of the sensor available. Digital zoom does not give you that.
Dave Maine, I agree with you. But certain professions, such as police work, where they need to digitally zoom in on a car's license number is an immediate need. It can't wait for post flight photo processing in some cases.

Dave Maine, I agree with you. But certain professions, such as police work, where they need to digitally zoom in on a car's license number is an immediate need. It can't wait for post flight photo processing in some cases.
They are probably using a M2Z Enterprise anyway which has 2X optical zoom and a additional 3X zoom digital. Optical zoom is the preferred way to zoom without picture loss as I understand.

They are probably using a M2Z Enterprise anyway which has 2X optical zoom and a additional 3X zoom digital. Optical zoom is the preferred way to zoom without picture loss as I understand.
Nope, I know a department that is using a First gen Air.

Nope, I know a department that is using a First gen Air.
I can't even fathom that...I didn't even remember it had a zoom (Other than maybe the pinch to zoom screen)...and given flight time..probably one of the worst DJI drones for a first responder?

I can't even fathom that...I didn't even remember it had a zoom (Other than maybe the pinch to zoom screen)...and given flight time..probably one of the worst DJI drones for a first responder?
Small departments have small budgets. I do think that the value of drones is becoming more obvious. I think we will see more government grants down the line. The Part 107 already addresses a government waiver.
And I do know one department that has a Matrice 300 with an array of camera/sensor options.

Thank you!!! I spent 3 weeks emailing DJI for the solution. Once I saw the menu, I saw 4K Zoom and behold the zoom works. They wanted me to turn in my controller!

Thank you so much!
I had the same experience. The option appears to have moved with a newer firmware update. I just got my drone 5 days ago, so my first firmware update took it straight to the latest. DJI support argued with me initially that the Mavic Air 2 did not support digital zoom since it wasn't in their manual. I explained to the CSR that DJI, unlike many companies, actually releases helpful firmware upgrades and generally improves the drone flying capabilities and RPIC experience. She then found out that the Mavic Air 2 did indeed support digital zoom and said that my drone must be defective and that I could either return to the place where I purchased it (Apple Store), or fill out a ticket and send it into DJI. Neither seemed like a good option since I have already registered it as a Part 107 drone and plan to take it on vacation in 10 days.

Then I stumbled across the 4K 30fps area and voila! There are my missing options. I can now shoot 2.7K, 1080P, 4K 60FPS and use digital zoom.

I found this entry in the forum after I stumbled across the solution. Thanks to the folks in this forum, and I heartily agree that the community is a better resource than DJI CSRs :).

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll