DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camping Club Rules the sky

Soledamcer

Reactions
Whilst flying my drone legally and responsibility on a deserted south coast beach, two wardens travelled from the nearby caravan site to tell me to stop flying due to their rules regarding invasion of privacy and the many dangers a drone presents to campers. I politely informed him that I was not flying over the site, I was breaking no laws, I was invading nobody's privacy, especially as cameras are allowed at ground level on their site, and that their Camping Club (Name withheld) has not yet wrenched control of the skies from the CAA. Another case of pathetic drone ignorance, inspired by negative and inaccurate media reports. Later that night my partner was almost knocked unconscious by a teenager riding his bike between caravans at speed, in pitch black darkness with no lights.

I have no idea how "Land USe" works in your area but over here, the entity owning/managing the land can mandate your Land Use Actions. So if you were operating from their land (or land they are legally managing) then they can probably dictate what you can or can't do ON THE LAND.

Just like I can say, "You can't stand on my property and fly" but I can not say, "You can't over fly my property if you're not standing on it".

Ditto BigAl07. They don't control the sky but probably have the authority to restrict operation of a drone while standing on the campground property.

I have no idea how "Land USe" works in your area but over here, the entity owning/managing the land can mandate your Land Use Actions. So if you were operating from their land (or land they are legally managing) then they can probably dictate what you can or can't do ON THE LAND.

Just like I can say, "You can't stand on my property and fly" but I can not say, "You can't over fly my property if you're not standing on it".
I think I made it quite clear I was on a deserted beach away from the caravan site.

I think I made it quite clear I was on a deserted beach away from the caravan site.
You did but was the beach you were on part of the caravan site.Like is the area you were in controlled by the same
entity.If that makes sense .
Or let me put it this way, we have WMA's that are controlled by the state that might be 5000 acres .You have maybe 1 acre you can camp on in that. Now if they didn't allow flying on that WMA it wouldn't matter if you were by the camping area or anywhere on those acres you couldn't take off from any of it . You could fly over it but thats it.
Think I just repeated what BigA107 said . :oops:

You did but was the beach you were on part of the caravan site.Like is the area you were in controlled by the same
Or let me put it this way, we have WMA's that are controlled by the state that might be 5000 acres .You have maybe 1 acre you can camp on in that. Now if they didn't allow flying on that WMA it wouldn't matter if you were by the camping area or anywhere on those acres you couldn't take off from any of it . You could fly over it but thats it.
No

You just said it a lot better than I did :)

Of course, if TO, operator position, and landing are all from the tidal zone, then it all would be on federal land wouldn’t it?

In Oz with very few exceptions, the sate government owns the beaches. Below the high tide line it is the Commonwealths.

Whilst flying my drone legally and responsibility on a deserted south coast beach, two wardens travelled from the nearby caravan site to tell me to stop flying due to their rules regarding invasion of privacy and the many dangers a drone presents to campers. I politely informed him that I was not flying over the site, I was breaking no laws, I was invading nobody's privacy, especially as cameras are allowed at ground level on their site, and that their Camping Club (Name withheld) has not yet wrenched control of the skies from the CAA. Another case of pathetic drone ignorance, inspired by negative and inaccurate media reports. Later that night my partner was almost knocked unconscious by a teenager riding his bike between caravans at speed, in pitch black darkness with no lights.
My point, having stated I was flying legally and responsibly, was that the stupid camping club saw more danger in a drone "Nearby" than they did in bikes being ridden at speed, at night with no lights within their site. Nothing to do with where I live, international rules on who owns what land and where I can fly.

My point, having stated I was flying legally and responsibly, was that the stupid camping club saw more danger in a drone "Nearby" than they did in bikes being ridden at speed, at night with no lights within their site. Nothing to do with where I live, international rules on who owns what land and where I can fly.
i understand your point,you were no where near the camp site but yet they targeted you because of their ignorance not to mention not enforcing bicycle rules that are a bigger threat

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
i gleaned from the fact that you said CAA in your OP that you probably lived in the UK, and i fully understand your frustration about what happened ,the reason the forum asks for your location, is simply because the rules and regs for drone use differ around the world, and knowing where you reside helps other forum members to give the correct help for your location

I live next to the Everglades National Park I’ve read rules stating you can take off outside the park fly into but land outside is legal. Guess it’s all up to the arresting officer huh? I can throw a rock and hit their boarder from my dock. I don’t harass anyone on a boat or any wildlife. I do enjoy chasing buzzards off my property though

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803