DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can’t Calibrate Gimbal

Maddox24

Reactions
Lately I’ve been getting warnings for abnormal gimbal activity or “overload”.
Just tried doing a recalibration, woukd complete the exercise. Also with the drone on, connected up to RC, I tried to do a recalibration it wouldn’t let me finish one. Noticed the gimbal rotating and acting very odd. Very very hot to the touch.
When in flight, I’m also getting gimbal overload.
Thanks in advance for a bit of advice
Chris

if it is hot then sounds like a impeded motor on the gimbal sometimes dirt or some sand possibly has got into one of the motors of the gimbal with it turned off try manually moving the gimbal gently to see if all the motors move freely you could try some canned air to carefully blow on the gimbal

Reactions: Slade
if it is hot then sounds like a impeded motor on the gimbal sometimes dirt or some sand possibly has got into one of the motors of the gimbal with it turned off try manually moving the gimbal gently to see if all the motors move freely you could try some canned air to carefully blow on the gimbal

Thanks OMMavic! I’ll give it a try and get back!

Old Man Mavic
Just checked the gimbal assy. Looks like when the lens assy is getting caught up on the black bracket that contains the 4 or 5 elastic bands. On startup, when it does it’s calibration dance, I notice it hitting that bracket on the very back of the lens case so it can’t do a full rotation thus causing the motor to overheat!
I rotated everything. Seems to be fine except that it’s hitting.... The black bracket is attached to the craft, so that’s not the problem. I don’t think.... could the black rubber type bands be worn?
anything I can do?
This copter has never been crashed or dropped...
Thanks
Chris

Old Man Mavic
Just checked the gimbal assy. Looks like when the lens assy is getting caught up on the black bracket that contains the 4 or 5 elastic bands. On startup, when it does it’s calibration dance, I notice it hitting that bracket on the very back of the lens case so it can’t do a full rotation thus causing the motor to overheat!
I rotated everything. Seems to be fine except that it’s hitting.... The black bracket is attached to the craft, so that’s not the problem. I don’t think.... could the black rubber type bands be worn?
anything I can do?
This copter has never been crashed or dropped...
Thanks
Chris
@Maddox24 check that the plate that the gimbal hangs off is underneath the the hook at the back of the gimbal and under the two hooks at the front the rear hook is called the anti drop hook and sometimes it is possible for the plate to move forwards and become out of the hook if this is the case to reinstall it you need to gently move the gimbal away from the front of the drone so you can release it from the front hangers then carefully put it back under the rear anti drop hook and under the two front hooks it is a bit fiddly but quite easy if you take your time

Reactions: Slade
@Maddox24 check that the plate that the gimbal hangs off is underneath the the hook at the back of the gimbal and under the two hooks at the front the rear hook is called the anti drop hook and sometimes it is possible for the plate to move forwards and become out of the hook if this is the case to reinstall it you need to gently move the gimbal away from the front of the drone so you can release it from the front hangers then carefully put it back under the rear anti drop hook and under the two front hooks it is a bit fiddly but quite easy if you take your time
I’ll have a look.
Thanks so much Old Man Mavic!

I’ll have a look.
Thanks so much Old Man Mavic!
Old Man Mavic
Not sure what happened on the movement portion but, I guess when I was rotating all axis’ to make sure everything was able freely move, it started to successfully calibrate. Now I’m having issues with camera not focusing. Tried in MF and AF. Went through the app to see if I missed something. Can’t figure it out. I hope with the gimbal getting hot to the touch earlier, didn’t mess up the camera itself? I did a reset camera settings and still not focusing.

This same thing is happening to me too. In my case, I noticed the horizon was not straight, so did a calibration and thought everything was fine. I had a friend with me an wanted to show them around some property in the country, so let them put on the white goggles, and I used the mini ipad. We did some flying but right from the start there was crazy gimbal movement, overload errors and I had problems aiming the camera throughout the flight. Now when I fire it up, just with the drone and controller, the gimbal moves around a lot and you can hear it hitting on something.

This same thing is happening to me too. In my case, I noticed the horizon was not straight, so did a calibration and thought everything was fine. I had a friend with me an wanted to show them around some property in the country, so let them put on the white goggles, and I used the mini ipad. We did some flying but right from the start there was crazy gimbal movement, overload errors and I had problems aiming the camera throughout the flight. Now when I fire it up, just with the drone and controller, the gimbal moves around a lot and you can hear it hitting on something.
Change the gimbal flex ribbon, this may solve your issue.

Thanks, will order it today. Looks like a tedious job, but I've changed cell phone screens before so should be able to handle it.

It took me about 1h to do it well. Be sure not to loose any screws. Take multiple photos of the positions of the ribbon to be able to easily replace the new one correctly.

And look for tutorials on Youtube.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123