DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can I not fly near metal?

The grey barron

Reactions
I just found out the hard way that i cant.
The drone drifted into the tail of an abandoned airplane and plummeted 20 meters off the wing.
Smashing the left sensor and destroying the gimble.
I will upload the video, hopefully, I can detur any gunslingers like myself from similar stupidity.

The log viewer doesn't offer any insight i can decipher.

Magnetic interference? compass issue? back-draft?

I was in tripod mode, pause wouldn't work and my controller was rendered useless, It was if my drone was caught by a tractor-beam

Licking my wounds, searching for answers.

An aluminum aircraft? That probably would have no effect on the compass. You need to post the flight logs here; The video will not be of too much help.

747 has some ferrous material in tail like jack screw for horizontal stabilizer and APU but wouldn't think you could have got close enough for it to cause an issue.

Older 747s used depleted uranium on control surfaces as counterweights but was replaced by tungsten at start of 80s.

I thought uranium is radioactive, being depleted or not ..?!

It still has radioactivity present I wouldn’t handle it or stay close to it! Radiation is everywhere it even comes up in people’s. Basements in the form of Radon gas in some parts of the country I think this is common in coal mining regions. Now that I think of it I was going to fly over the abandoned town of Centrailia PA to get shots of the Gasses and possibly the glow of the mine fire! All kinds of radon is probably Spewing out of the ground there? I don’t think it would affect the drone? Never saw any drone footage there yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Callum
I thought uranium is radioactive, being depleted or not ..?!
Yes radioactive to an extent.
Extremely dense, more so than lead. That's why used as avaition counter weights and still used in munitions.

Uranium shouldn't affect compass but tungsten weights may have a slight affect.

Was more an interesting fact since on topic of what's in the tail.

It still has radioactivity present I wouldn’t handle it or stay close to it! Radiation is everywhere it even comes up in people’s. Basements in the form of Radon gas in some parts of the country I think this is common in coal mining regions. Now that I think of it I was going to fly over the abandoned town of Centrailia PA to get shots of the Gasses and possibly the glow of the mine fire! All kinds of radon is probably Spewing out of the ground there? I don’t think it would affect the drone? Never saw any drone footage there yet?

I googled drone footage in Centrailia and quiet a few people beat me to it :( I could not fly the day I was there (bad snow storm) And it was getting dark maybe another time in the spring? I was hoping some snow cover and the cold would give a good effect of the heat coming through the cracks in the ground! I know you can cook a egg on the rocks when it’s below 0 in some places the coal vain burning is huge! And it’s Blue Coal aka Anthracite the stuff is dense and burns slow and hot! Supposed to be the best and cleanest burning coal in the world it leave almost no ash! There enough coal that’s going to waste that could heat a large city for 100 years that’s going to be lost! They gave up trying to put it out! All over burning trash above ground that lit the vain were it was at ground level. There’s stories of it being “The Real Silent Hill” but it’s just local folklore the town doesn’t resemble the movie in anyway it may have inspired the writers? But that’s the end of it! I used to live about 75 miles from the town before they tore 90% of the homes down and vaguely remember going through while it was still a active town in the 60s I was young about 5.

Last edited:
I googled drone footage in Centrailia and quiet a few people beat me to it :( I could not fly the day I was there (bad snow storm) And it was getting dark maybe another time in the spring? I was hoping some snow cover and the cold would give a good effect of the heat coming through the cracks in the ground! I know you can cook a egg on the rocks when it’s below 0 in some places the coal vain burning is huge! And it’s Blue Coal aka Anthracite the stuff is dense and burns slow and hot! Supposed to be the best and cleanest burning coal in the world it leave almost no ash! There enough coal that’s going to waste that could heat a large city for 100 years that’s going to be lost! They gave up trying to put it out! All over burning trash above ground that lit the vain were it was at ground level. There’s stories of it being “The Real Silent Hill” but it’s just local folklore the town doesn’t resemble the movie in anyway it may have inspired the writers? But that’s the end of it! I used to live about 75 miles from the town before they tore 90% of the homes down and vaguely remember going through while it was still a active town in the 60s I was young about 5.
Interesting, going to have a read up on that.

Any chance a jet took off in the minutes before the crash? Wake turbulence coming off the wing tips are dangerous to other small aircraft and even more to drones and they drift down and outward from the flight path.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexxorellana