DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I take my Mav on Royal Caribbean Cruise?

gixxerbill

Reactions
Of course I am not going to be flying by the balconies or pools to check out the chicks. :D I am talking about using it a the destinations cozumel, Roatan and Puerto Costa.

Man I'm so curious if it's allowed and capable to be flown on the ships deck or even away from the ship to capture a nice shot?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Edjes
Man I'm so curious if it's allowed and capable to be flown on the ships deck or even away from the ship to capture a nice shot?

I am pretty sure they won't let you fly on the ship. But i have never seen a thread about drones and cruise ships and thought somebody might know if they let you carry it aboard.

There's a thread on here somewhere that cruise lines have drones listed as prohibited items an they will be confiscated and returned at your home port [emoji41]

There's a thread on here somewhere that cruise lines have drones listed as prohibited items an they will be confiscated and returned at your home port [emoji41]

aahhh sheesh thanks man for saving the me the trouble of that nonsense.

ahh man missed your thread you must have posted when i was posting. So there was no issue in the ports?. Nice vid dude!!!

I posted it in Phantompilot forum b4 but not in MavicPilot forum because I had a Phantom. But no problem at all. Just take your batteries and memory card with you and leave the Mavic at the security when you embark at each port.

Bringing a Drone on a Royal Caribbean Cruise

Here's that discussion about bringing a drone to Royal Caribbean. Probably at the time finalfantasyfans flew his drone, drones weren't prohibited at the time. Probably RCL has changed their policy and now prohibits drones on board. I thought about it and not take the gamble of bringing it.

Here's RCL's list not allowed on board:
What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship - Royal Caribbean International

Last edited:
I know that you can bring it with you but they hold it before boarding and they can give it to you back when you go down.

I'm going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in a few months and received permission to bring mine aboard. Just email them and ask. I've also read somewhere that somebody was able to just walk right onto the ship with their Mavic because it doesn't look like a typical drone all folded up.

Here was the email response I received from Royal Caribbean customer support:
Drones will be confiscated at the gangway and released to guests once in a port-of-call only on the understanding they are fully liable to comply with local regulations and operate them legally in that port-of-call. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to acquire permission from each of the countries / states where the ship will be docking before the drone is released back to their possession.

Bringing a Drone on a Royal Caribbean Cruise

Here's that discussion about bringing a drone to Royal Caribbean. Probably at the time finalfantasyfans flew his drone, drones weren't prohibited at the time. Probably RCL has changed their policy and now prohibits drones on board. I thought about it and not take the gamble of bringing it.

Here's RCL's list not allowed on board:
What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship - Royal Caribbean International
Royal Caribbean has been very strict with Drone even at that time. I called them before my cruise and confirmed that Drone was not allowed on board but I can check-in/out at the security at each port. That's why it was no surprise to me when I brought my drone with me. I suggest that you call them and confirm with them before your cruise.

NOT allowed! Been there, done that. RC prohibits ANY drones onboard.

Of course I am not going to be flying by the balconies or pools to check out the chicks. :D I am talking about using it a the destinations cozumel, Roatan and Puerto Costa.

Reactions: Budmancan
I had called them yesterday and got the same answer. Unfortunately it's too late to cancel the trip but this will be my last cruise with Royal Caribbean. They essentially equate aerial cameras--even the ones specifically designed to be portable and travel-friendly like the Mavic Pro--with firearms and explosives and that's just asinine. I'd be perfectly happy to check-in/check-out the Mavic at each port--I would never fly it off or even near the ship or port-- where local regulations do not prohibit its use, but for them to unilaterally take away even the option for a guest to capture some priceless memories after paying close to $8K for cruise fare alone is just not right. What business is of theirs how and what I spend my time ashore as long as I take full responsibility for my actions and complying with local laws, restrictions, etc?

With all the rapidly growing regulations and restrictions everywhere I'm seriously contemplating quitting the hobby altogether. it's getting to a point where it's nearly impossible to fly literally anywhere worth filming anything without being slapped silly by one idiotic, arbitrary ruling or regulation about one thing or another. And I'm not referring to legitimate restrictions around airports or other common-sense scenarios where these devices can pose unacceptable risk to people or property.

It is what it is.

As said above, you CAN bring it with you, but you must check it with security. They won't let you take it to your cabin. I can understand- there is no way for them to be sure that every guest will comply and not fly it off the deck. Impounding it is the only/best way to do that.

As said above, you CAN bring it with you, but you must check it with security. They won't let you take it to your cabin. I can understand- there is no way for them to be sure that every guest will comply and not fly it off the deck. Impounding it is the only/best way to do that.
I was just on a RC cruise in March, I called ahead and spoke with a rep he advised that drones were prohibited [emoji724] i told him this is not correct i was informed that i can bring my drone check it in with security they'll give me a receipt and each port of call i can pick it up and return it when boarding.

I told him please check with your supervisor he came back and said yes that is correct. Anyhow I get on board with the drone go to my room then after about an hour i went looking for security and checked it in. When i got to St Maarten a security officer said she wasn't sure i could take it on the island she contacted the port master or somebody i spoke with him for 20 sec made sure he knew that know the rules and he said "oh you know the rules and reg you're good to go".

Maybe something changed since March 2017 i was on the Harmony.

Unfortunately, at least for the Independence of the Seas May 15, 2007 departure, 13-day cruise out of Southampton, England, the policy is to confiscate all aerial drones found upon embarkation during the security screening. Customer Service categorically stated this and that there are absolutely no exception. Any drones found will be sealed by Security and returned only during final disembarkation at the end of the cruise. That is the only "break" they will give you in comparison with other prohibited items, such as dangerous chemicals, blades, firearms and ammo as well as explosives, which would be permanently confiscated and disposed.

RC had not yet responded to my written email but I intend to raise the issue again once onboard. It won't help me but at least have my voice heard and if others do the same they may listen and find ways to accommodate passengers instead of hindering them. Then again, maybe the onboard photography business could be stagnating so they are trying to stifle any potential competition whether it's on or off the ship.

The irony in this whole thing is that it's totally unnecessary. All these modern cruise ships are so wired with surveillance systems that there is no way for anyone to even attempt to fly these things onboard without someone seeing it. Maritime laws are so strict they can have you thrown off the ship or in the brig before you know it for this or any other reason they can claim you had posed any kind of risk to the ship or its passengers/crew, especially something as compact as a Mavic.

The only thing I can relate this to is the ban by the Smithsonian museums around DC that prohibits any kind of photography tripods--regardless of length--to be brought inside the museum. Apparently some bureaucrat decided it was a safety risk as someone can trip over and injure themselves over the legs. How does this translate to a Gorillapod, I'm not smart enough to comprehend. This is why I don't bother going there anymore either since there is no way to do proper HDR or time-lapse photography sessions just the same kind of smartphone-quality snapshots everyone does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone